grizzly wet clutch

rene1

Reaction score
hey guys, i am a can-am rider, but i have a buddies 08 grizzly 700 in my shop cause his clutch is acting up, i don' thave much "wet clutch" experiecnce, but i think it is worn out or something??. it is realy a dog when takeing off, you can give it all the gas you want but it is gutless. (worse then normal) there is an EPI kit with secondary spring, primary weights and wet clutch springs. also he is running 28'' silver back...way too much tire for this thing!!. but any way, i was wondering , am i heading into the right direction with digging into the wet clutch. the belt is fine, the clutch sheaves are clean and grease free. also, on decel, i find there is a bit of a ratle comeing from the cvt area. is there a 1-way clutch inside for engine breaking??? maybe it is messed up aswell?. anyone with experience and some points of interest wouldbe muchly apreciated!!!
thanks.:beer:

opps, i may have posted this in the wrong thread...sorry

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup there is a one way bearing and it does rattle when bad.

Also find out what engine oil he has been using as it MUST be wet clutch compatible and NOT energy conserving.

rene1

Reaction score
thanks AWTY, i read about the oil thing, i will ask him for sure!. so is the 1-way inside were the wet clutch part is?. i am going to be tackling this tonight i think...yippi...haha. also, do i need to remove the secondary and the inner cvt houseing to get at the wet clutch...looks like, but i don't have the primary apart yet?.
thanks for your help!:beer:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM your email and I will send you the service manual, its pretty easy and is behind the primary sheave inner half.

4 beer job

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The one thing that goes in the wet clutch is the one way bearing and if it is being ridden really hard than the clutch pack may get glazed which will make it slip a bit before it engages enough to get it going. I just finished changing out my wet clutch pack and my clutch drum. It made a huge difference in my situation. also when you are taking the wet clutch apart, you need to be really careful not to damage the shaft, The large nut that holds the wet clutch in is REVERSE THREADS, that shaft is you crackshaft.
Hope this helps, if you need a manual PM me

rene1

Reaction score
thanks for you tips....i just got a manual from AWTY...:beer:

reverse thread....good to know. so when the 1-way starts to fail on these, does it have any affect on the acceeleration. if it is binding or something maybe eh?....i think it is going to be a 1-way and wet clutch replacment job, i know this buggy gets rode hard and put away wet.:)

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On mine the one way bearing was good, but the when the wet clutch gets glazed it defenitly affects the acceleration of the line and the low end grunt, I felt that mine was normal once it was moving.
It was lagging when i was taking off and when i was stuck in the mud and needed to get the tires spinning, all that was fixed when i replace the wet clutch. The unfortunate thing is that its like a G note to replace that wet clutch, just for the parts

Last edited:

rene1

Reaction score
yeah, this one was doing the same thing....NO aceleration....high range it was like you were towing a truck behind you when getting going. and it aslo has a rattle noise on DECEL..so .....glad i am not paying for it..haha

rene1

Reaction score
well i got this wet clutch houseing off, it look like it is burnt. the houseing is BLACK, i am going to asume that is not the normal color. and also the wet clutch shoes look toasted black. i will post up some pics so someone can asses for me....someone with a little more experienc with these. i am pretty sure it is DONE though....i don't have the shoes off yet, that left hand threaded nut looks nearly stripped bald thanks to the last guy that was in there to instal the springs....now i have to screw with it. yippi!!.

Attachments

• PICT0402.jpg
    PICT0402.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT0404.jpg
    PICT0404.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT0405.jpg
    PICT0405.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT0406.jpg
    PICT0406.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 214

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YEP IMO Shes a gonner, That clutch pack is sold as 1 piece, i dont know if you can buy just the shoes. THe Drum does tend to get rather black from the heat i guess. I have had a couple apart and the one was pretty new like 300km and was just installing a clutch kit, and the drum was toasted black. But the shoes dont look so good.

Just a note, I damaged my threads taking that stupid nut off because (and the second note is that nut is like 20bucks) i didnt pry the lock up enough when i took it apart, it took a buddy of mine 2 hours with a thread file to get it OK.
So Be Careful
Good luck, sorry bout your buddys luck, hopefully he had fun while he was burning it up, i know i sure did when i burnt up mine

rene1

Reaction score
YEP IMO Shes a gonner, That clutch pack is sold as 1 piece, i dont know if you can buy just the shoes. THe Drum does tend to get rather black from the heat i guess. I have had a couple apart and the one was pretty new like 300km and was just installing a clutch kit, and the drum was toasted black. But the shoes dont look so good.

Just a note, I damaged my threads taking that stupid nut off because (and the second note is that nut is like 20bucks) i didnt pry the lock up enough when i took it apart, it took a buddy of mine 2 hours with a thread file to get it OK.
So Be Careful
Good luck, sorry bout your buddys luck, hopefully he had fun while he was burning it up, i know i sure did when i burnt up mine

thanks for your imput:beer:..i think it is toast too

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i am a can-am rider, but i have a buddies 08 grizzly 700 in my shop cause his clutch is acting up, i don' thave much "wet clutch" experiecnce, but i think it is worn out or something??. it is realy a dog when takeing off, you can give it all the gas you want but it is gutless. (worse then normal) there is an EPI kit with secondary spring, primary weights and wet clutch springs. also he is running 28'' silver back...way too much tire for this thing!!. but any way, i was wondering , am i heading into the right direction with digging into the wet clutch. the belt is fine, the clutch sheaves are clean and grease free. also, on decel, i find there is a bit of a ratle comeing from the cvt area. is there a 1-way clutch inside for engine breaking??? maybe it is messed up aswell?. anyone with experience and some points of interest wouldbe muchly apreciated!!!
thanks.:beer:

opps, i may have posted this in the wrong thread...sorry

Check out Apache Motorcycles Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki KTM CanAm New & Used Motorcycles, ATV's, Jet Ski's Watercraft, Trailers, Financing, Trades Welcome for parts, about half the price of local. They are located in Arizona. I need the same parts for my Rhino and will be getting my parts from them. I have family in Arizona that can get the parts for me and ship. They tell me they are genuine Yamaha parts and the prices are internet order only.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
why doesnt your buddy convert to a dry clutch like a snowmobile, they have ine for a rhino im sure they have them for the grizz

megatron customs

Reaction score
you can find the wet clutch and housing on ebay for cheep i just replaced the one on my rhino and the dealer wanted 400 bucks for the wet clutch bought on e bay for 250 new in the oem package and the housing for 125 bucks shipped.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why doesnt your buddy convert to a dry clutch like a snowmobile, they have ine for a rhino im sure they have them for the grizz

I put the greaselss clutch set up in my Grizz (it was a kit for the Rhino). Got it from HunterWorks.com Got rollers, cam plate, & cam plate sliders for about $130 US. Works great so far ... and no mess. :common001:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I put the greaselss clutch set up in my Grizz (it was a kit for the Rhino). Got it from HunterWorks.com Got rollers, cam plate, & cam plate sliders for about $130 US. Works great so far ... and no mess. :common001:

i herd that you lose much of your engine breaking when you do this conversion have you noticed?

Top Bottom