Grizzly Bear Closures

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing all the chatter in the media latley about the plight of the grizzley bear in Alberta. My spidey sense tells me there are area closures not far behind??? Here we go again!!!!

Britt

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing all the chatter in the media latley about the plight of the grizzley bear in Alberta. My spidey sense tells me there are area closures not far behind??? Here we go again!!!!

Britt

I caught a bit of Alberta news on the Satellite. What is going on with the Grizzly Bears?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems if a bear can POOP in the bush anywhere that area should be protected. Just a easy version of what the gov. wants

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam no trained conservation officer but even the kokanee ranger knows Maybe the first step in protecting them would be to stop shooting them.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam no trained conservation officer but even the kokanee ranger knows Maybe the first step in protecting them would be to stop shooting them.

Yep, and stop dropping grain on the tracks!

bcham5

Reaction score
plenty of grizzly bears at the plant i work at :(

ad.jpg

000_1030.jpg

and theres 2 more sow and cubs and about 5 more boars in the area. There cranky and dont like operators on quads aparently ;)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gov of AB comissioned a Grizzly Bear study.
Report was produced.
Report was supposed to be public but was hidden while the Gov tried to figure out what they would say/do.
Year later report is released. News is not good. Activist groups and the media run with it.
Now Gov has to deal with public backlash and how to handle the situation.

High mortality from hunting, many vehicle hits, and yes, the grain on the tracks/train hits is a big one. Also the increase in poaching due to access to wilderness as a result of huge increases in oil/forest service roads. Even when reclaimed poachers are still side skirting the gates. Needless to say the state of the Grizzly in AB is not good and now the Gov is scrambling to do something. Likely another poorly thought out knee jerk reaction that "looks" good to the public.

Can you say Government F' up.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a two year no hunting in effect, should do the trick. Got lots of grizz here, we could to an import, export deal. I give grizz you give oil and gas.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a ban on hunting G.B.'s for the last couple of years. The environmentalists are up in arms over bears being hit by trains, trucks, cars and back country users having to kill a grizzley to protect themselves. It is interesting that the bear study is only in few select areas near the mountains along the eastern slopes. Funny thing though the bears seem to be moving eastward out of the study areas, example the Bergen area south of Sundre and just west of Hi-way 22 there was a hunter from Didsbury killed by an G.B. last fall just a few kilometers of HI-way 22. the locals around Bergen have said there are about four or five wandering around the area. This is an area with farms ranches and some rec property not the average G.B. territory. This story is familar in the green areas west of the eastern slopes. Truth is this is the perfect way for the environmentalists to close or limit areas to the foothills from the U.S border to Grande Prarrie.

Billy Boy

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a ban on hunting G.B.'s for the last couple of years. The environmentalists are up in arms over bears being hit by trains, trucks, cars and back country users having to kill a grizzley to protect themselves. It is interesting that the bear study is only in few select areas near the mountains along the eastern slopes. Funny thing though the bears seem to be moving eastward out of the study areas, example the Bergen area south of Sundre and just west of Hi-way 22 there was a hunter from Didsbury killed by an G.B. last fall just a few kilometers of HI-way 22. the locals around Bergen have said there are about four or five wandering around the area. This is an area with farms ranches and some rec property not the average G.B. territory. This story is familar in the green areas west of the eastern slopes. Truth is this is the perfect way for the environmentalists to close or limit areas to the foothills from the U.S border to Grande Prarrie.

Billy Boy

Yeah, I think part of the reports stated that the GB's were moving farther out to find mates. Once they move out further that becomes their established territory. Another part of the problem.

Yes, the RADICAL greenies are having a field day with this. A couple groups I could mention, and whom I have had heated discussions with at my front door when they come campaigning for funds. There are other groups that are taking more of a management role and including all stakeholders.

Defintely an issue to watch.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gov of AB comissioned a Grizzly Bear study.
Report was produced.
Report was supposed to be public but was hidden while the Gov tried to figure out what they would say/do.
Year later report is released. News is not good. Activist groups and the media run with it.
Now Gov has to deal with public backlash and how to handle the situation.

High mortality from hunting, many vehicle hits, and yes, the grain on the tracks/train hits is a big one. Also the increase in poaching due to access to wilderness as a result of huge increases in oil/forest service roads. Even when reclaimed poachers are still side skirting the gates. Needless to say the state of the Grizzly in AB is not good and now the Gov is scrambling to do something. Likely another poorly thought out knee jerk reaction that "looks" good to the public.

Can you say Government F' up.

OOOOO sneaky government stuff. Up here they are quietly trying to get rid of the wolves. They have randomly placed traps out along trails. I run my malamute/wolf on these trails and so did this guy with a little american eskimo. They never told us there were traps out untill the guys american eskimo was snapped in two. Then they started media focus on the "problem wolves". and the poor woodland cariboo who shouldn't even be over here in the first place!

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are many more bears than what their reports and studies indicate. Example the boys that run the Yaha-Tinda ranch west of Sundre, say they have been seeing an increasing population of G.B.'s over the last few years. These guys have worked in that area for many years so I think they know what they talk of. They have said they have seen 15 different G.B.'s in the area much more than they have seen over the last 20 years. Also in the Sundre Bergen areas there have been alot more Grizzlies sighted and the locals say that they have never seen this before in the time they have lived in these areas. Now they could be moving out because of the easy availablity of food, as a result of more compition for food sources in their traditional areas because of an increase in the population:confused: All I know is if the greenies get their way there are going to be large tracks of land where access is going to be denied and the Government will be more than glad to accomadate them. Here we go again with poor planning on behalf of the provincial gvoernment!!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizzlies are the next "species of convenience" for the enviro's, after mountain caribou. Google "yellowstone to yukon" and you'll find out what they're up to. Some scary stuff!

All4Traction

Reaction score
plenty of grizzly bears at the plant i work at :(
and theres 2 more sow and cubs and about 5 more boars in the area. There cranky and dont like operators on quads aparently ;)

Looks like the Two Lakes road area. There is quite a few grizzlies that roam that area, and they cover a HUGE range. a few of them are GPS collared, so we know where they are at. I wouldnt worry about any part of Kakwa being shut down because of the grizzly, i cant see that ever happening.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right about the Y to Y iniative by the environmentalists. The G.B.'s happen to be the latest convienent environmental crisis to help bring this initiative closer to becoming reality and it won't stop at the Y to Y they want a corridor up the Continental Divide out west then up acorss the Canadian North, then east to the Eastern part of the Canadian North, then have a corridor down the eastern part of Canada and the U.S. all the way to Florida. Funny thing about this is I don't know how they are going to train all the wild life to stay in the corridor.

Billy Boy:cool:

Top Bottom