Grizzly 700 Starting/Stalling

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two new 2009 Grizzlies with 300K on one and 600K on the other. One rarely starts first try and they both like to stall when you first hit the throttle. My last Grizz was same year and model and I had absolutely no issues - it would even start first crank when it was -30 and it NEVER stalled.

I pulled the belt cover off one of them and started it. While just idling, I noticed that the belt was "twitching". Is that normal? ...I'm thinking that maybe the clutch is engaging too soon?

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id have to say no.

What mods have you got on the bikes.

have you adjusted your valves cold lately?

You either have
1: lean bike
2: out of spec valves

Adjust the valves cold do not run the bike before doing so.

If you have a pipe and Intake on the bike make sure you have a optimizer of some kind. although i do believe its the valves personally.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lenard. I have made no mods (yet).

There is only 300km on the worse of the two machines. ...a little early for a valve adjustment, no? I think I'm still a little too green to attempt a valve adjustment on my own, so I'll take it in to the dealership just before the warrany expires this summer.

I'm assuming that running lean is probably not a possible cause if I have EFI and am running totally stock. Is that a fair assumption?

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its hard to start the valves have to be out.Even though it only has 300k they could have been out from new.My 07 fires instantly even after sitting for months.The stalling issue never seems to go away my 07 stalls when I blip the throttle slowly.Funny how my 09 rhino has NEVER stalled ever, its a fuel tank issue on the grizzly that yamaha is still in denial about.they usually stall at the worst time like clearing a hill,with a blip of throttle

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some bikes break in faster than others.

70 hrs most Yamaha's need their valves adjusted. some earlier and some later.

I know some guys that have never done it and they have no problems.. and then there is some people who adjust them twice before 1000km. its all about the valves tightening up ..

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 07 grizz has 4000km on it and it still does the stall thing..i guess i just got used to it..but it is annoying...giver a little throttle and it does a small backfire and dies..its gotta be in the timing..my guess.

Smidgy

Reaction score
I have an 08 with the same issue, and I know the two 07's and one other 08 I run with all have the same issue also. Sometimes it will stall on a cold engine, and sometimes it will stall when your in the mid range or the that quick blip that hits the midrange and you get out of it. Everyone that owns a grizz 700 at some time will notice the mid range bog, it is in the timing of the bike and you can fix it with after market parts. A CDI like a dynateck will take it away and supposedly make your bike idle better with longer spark durations etc. Another option would be the copperhead VDI which you can manage fuel and timing with. If you plan on modding these quads (exhaust etc.) in the future it is only going to get worse without one of these items because the more you mod the more it brings out the issue. Otherwise congratulations on owning two nice bikes and your bikes are just like the rest of ours.

I would assume that a rhino 700 would have a different timing curve and that is probably why it doesn't have the same issue.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A CDI like a dynateck will take it away and supposedly make your bike idle better with longer spark durations etc.

Thanks for the advice Smidgy. I hope to do some performace mods, snorkels, and maybe a rad relocation but not until next year since I kinda already blew my budget this year. 'Til then, I'll probably just pester my dealer (maybe get a valve adjustment for free - yeah right, deam on).

Top Bottom