Gps

650XT

Reaction score
So after almost getting completely lost in the bush (and went too many kilometere's North instead of South :d)....the brother-in-law and I are now looking at "investing" in a GPS. Just wanted some input as to what everyone is using, likes, dislikes..etc.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin with the discover canada maps (at least i think thats what its called) I love it.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
brother has a garmin 76, works great little costly. but if your not going to upload maps just get a cheaper one

i was thinking of getting one but i found out that my phone can do all the same things.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I have a garmin 60Csx and think it's great.

Ibycus is a free topo you can get via torrent (not pirated as his web site encourges the download).

Technobee

Reaction score
Garmin Oregon 400t-a little $$ might be a little overkill but the screen is 3" color, the touch screen is convenient- has compass,altimeter(that is more for snowmobiling ) nevermind tracking the trails plus and you do not need the TOPO maps that come with or sold with the Garmin- like Big Daddy said Ibycus on the torrent is worth the download. read all about it.

Home

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin 550 with the back roads map, includes topo's.

Dadbro

Reaction score
Hi there, I just tried the Garmin gpsmap 60csx today for the first time, rugged unit , water proof up to 1 meter, so far simple to use, only thing is, it is out of aligment, it shows we are quading in the middle of the Athabasca river. I think it needs to reload the map or something.. I just borrowed this from a friend and He has put it through hell. Check it out on youtube It comes highly recomended there as well.

4 Polaris Atvs

Reaction score
I have Garmin Rinos 110 and 520. I use them on my sleds and love them. They are also 2 way radios and will map the other guy on your may when he keys up.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have Garmin Rinos 110 and 520. I use them on my sleds and love them. They are also 2 way radios and will map the other guy on your may when he keys up.

I also have a rino 530 but I find it a pain in the azz to pan around the map. You have to always go to the menu and set it up to pan... or am I doing sumtin wrong :confused: you don't have to do that with the 60csx

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I have a rino 120, a garmin etrex and now the nuvi 550 topo,,,,,,,, I dont even look at the rino or etrex anymore,,,,,, the nuvi 550 topo is all touch screen,,,,,, shows every hill, valley and creek,,,,,,, used it this weekend to find my sisters place north of Bezanson,,,,, and hit it dead on,,,,,,,, I am renting it out with my quad rentals now as it is waterproof.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Stay away from touch screens :nono: I've been down this road with the Oregon and the Dakota series garmins... junk :realmad: Great for sledding but for the muddy bush they suck. Unless you keep them in a pocket and wash your hands before using them every time. You will find the screens to scratch very easily and they don't work well with the protective screen covers. And if your hands are wet you can't navigate the screen. Keep the Nuvi in the car :d

pjquad

Reaction score
I used a Nuvi 760( with Oil Tracs ) for a couple years quadding and I just put a zip lock bag over it and tape the bottom up, can still see the screen and touch it as well through the bag. Works good.

loose cannon

Reaction score
buy a garmin. etrex works good but 60scx is the Best. I just took a GPS coarse the instructor uses the Garmin 60SCX and swears by it. also switch over your GPS to the UTM grid instead of latitude/longitude because the UTM grid system is in Metres and Km..great for easy distance estimation and no decimals.

Top Bottom