Gov't prorogued

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or however you spell it.

WE are safe until the end of january. Harper better get his sh!t together and learn how to compromise or this country is in big trouble. can't run a minority like a majority.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The budget in January will be passed. The Liberals cannot afford to be in a coalition hornet's nest when they are in the middle of a leadership race. Why do you think big Mike was very quiet about the coalition in the first place; he knew this would be a poison pill for the Liberal party.

Billy Boy:cool:

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does a federal election cost us????
I thought I heard 30 million.

The last one cost 350 MILLION Unreal if we got to do it again.But what else can we do? The Liberals and the NDP are hell bent on getting rid of Harper.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to think about before you sign any petitions. From my “political science is my hobby” Brother-in-law–

The statement that the opposition parties think they “know better” than the electorate suggests that the electorate spoke with one clear voice and gave the Conservatives enough support to command a majority in the House of Commons. Canadian voters did no such thing. Given that the Conservatives came first with less than a majority of seats gives them the right to form a government and seek the support of the House. It would appear that the actions of the Conservatives this past week have resulted in just the opposite. Under our Parliamentary system of government, the rules do not permit a minority government to continue governing without regard to the level of support they can muster in the House. Accordingly, if the non-confidence vote is held and the government loses, then the Gov. General will decide (a) to let the Conservatives continue governing and , to avoid the non-confidence vote, allow the Prime Minister’s request to prorogue Parliament and buy himself some time, (during which time he will be entitled to spend your tax money without having to defend his decisions in Parliament – how does that appeal to you? (b) to let the Coalition try to seek majority support in the House, or (c) dissolve Parliament and allow new elections (yaayyy!!!).

To those whose democratic sensibilities are offended at the prospect of a Coalition government, I suggest the following:

1) Inform yourself about the workings of Parliamentary democracy (it ain’t pretty sometimes);

2) Complain loudly and often to your Member of Parliament that you want change in the system to allow for a more accurate representation of the voter’s wishes on election day; Our system of government is several hundred years old – we are constantly changing the way we live and work – why can’t we change the way we govern ourselves to keep up with the needs of modern society?

3) See # 2;

4) When you get the opportunity to vote , take it! ;

5) Bear in mind that when Stephen Harper was Opposition Leader, he made a similar deal with the separatists and the NDP to bring down Paul Martin’s government. The only thing different was that he did not offer the NDP seats in his hoped-for Conservative government. He would still have been reliant on votes from the NDP and the Bloc though. Given this, ask yourself whether Harper is offended that all of this is happening, or is he offended that it is happening to him?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to think about before you sign any petitions. From my “political science is my hobby” Brother-in-law–

The statement that the opposition parties think they “know better” than the electorate suggests that the electorate spoke with one clear voice and gave the Conservatives enough support to command a majority in the House of Commons. Canadian voters did no such thing. Given that the Conservatives came first with less than a majority of seats gives them the right to form a government and seek the support of the House. It would appear that the actions of the Conservatives this past week have resulted in just the opposite. Under our Parliamentary system of government, the rules do not permit a minority government to continue governing without regard to the level of support they can muster in the House. Accordingly, if the non-confidence vote is held and the government loses, then the Gov. General will decide (a) to let the Conservatives continue governing and , to avoid the non-confidence vote, allow the Prime Minister’s request to prorogue Parliament and buy himself some time, (during which time he will be entitled to spend your tax money without having to defend his decisions in Parliament – how does that appeal to you? (b) to let the Coalition try to seek majority support in the House, or (c) dissolve Parliament and allow new elections (yaayyy!!!).

To those whose democratic sensibilities are offended at the prospect of a Coalition government, I suggest the following:

1) Inform yourself about the workings of Parliamentary democracy (it ain’t pretty sometimes);

2) Complain loudly and often to your Member of Parliament that you want change in the system to allow for a more accurate representation of the voter’s wishes on election day; Our system of government is several hundred years old – we are constantly changing the way we live and work – why can’t we change the way we govern ourselves to keep up with the needs of modern society?

3) See # 2;

4) When you get the opportunity to vote , take it! ;

5) Bear in mind that when Stephen Harper was Opposition Leader, he made a similar deal with the separatists and the NDP to bring down Paul Martin’s government. The only thing different was that he did not offer the NDP seats in his hoped-for Conservative government. He would still have been reliant on votes from the NDP and the Bloc though. Given this, ask yourself whether Harper is offended that all of this is happening, or is he offended that it is happening to him?

Harper tried to bring down a Liberal Govt that was plagued with scandal - have you forgotten the sponsorship scandal (before you suggest that Harper will be reckless with our tax dollars before Parliament is back in). Canadians were sick of the corruption that was plainly evident. Paul Martin himself personally registers his shipping line outside of Canada to avoid paying Canadian tax!!!

This coalition govt has been preplanned for a long time - showing a no confidence vote on the fiscal outlook before a budget was even properly outlined proves that they were just looking for an opportunity to stir things up - for their gain NOT ours.

I know you are entitled to your opinion but man it must be a lonely place to be - not too many westerners going to be siding with you on this one Sumiteer.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Harper tried to bring down a Liberal Govt that was plagued with scandal - have you forgotten the sponsorship scandal (before you suggest that Harper will be reckless with our tax dollars before Parliament is back in). Canadians were sick of the corruption that was plainly evident. Paul Martin himself personally registers his shipping line outside of Canada to avoid paying Canadian tax!!!

This coalition govt has been preplanned for a long time - showing a no confidence vote on the fiscal outlook before a budget was even properly outlined proves that they were just looking for an opportunity to stir things up - for their gain NOT ours.

I know you are entitled to your opinion but man it must be a lonely place to be - not too many westerners going to be siding with you on this one Sumiteer.

Al, I don't like or agree with the coalition, but Harper has done very little to help his cause. He does not have a majority and has to stop operating like he does. whether any of us likes he has to work with the Liberals in particular as they are the only ones where there is even a little common ground. I really hope next election Canadians will give the Conservatives a majority so he can get some stuff done.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did you read the first line of my post? And it's not real lonely, it may surprise some but there are folks out there that don't hate people for holding a different opinion than them. We're allowed to....Even in Alberta.:d

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you read the first line of my post? And it's not real lonely, it may surprise some but there are folks out there that don't hate people for holding a different opinion than them. We're allowed to....Even in Alberta.:d

whoa, whoa, whoa.........who said anything about hate????? That's not my style. If you read my posts I have never had anything derogatory to say against any members of the coalition govt - I just don't like their methods.

As for you Sumiteer - just trying to help you see the light and error in your ways!!!!:):):)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whoa, whoa, whoa.........who said anything about hate????? That's not my style. If you read my posts I have never had anything derogatory to say against any members of the coalition govt - I just don't like their methods.

As for you Sumiteer - just trying to help you see the light and error in your ways!!!!:):):)

Go back and read some of the crap on the three threads related to this issue, there's hate out there. :d I thought a prorogue was a delicious potato dumpling that you eat with bacon, onion and sour cream

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go back and read some of the crap on the three threads related to this issue, there's hate out there. :d I thought a prorogue was a delicious potato dumpling that you eat with bacon, onion and sour cream

Why don't you show us a post where Haggis said anything regarding hate. Gotta love it when people can't argue like adults. "If you diagree with me, you hate me" I think that's around 5th grade.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why don't you show us a post where Haggis said anything regarding hate. Gotta love it when people can't argue like adults. "If you diagree with me, you hate me" I think that's around 5th grade.
Poor wording of my post, sorry.

Top Bottom