Government wants to regulate Handling, Safety & Performance Design on Side-By-Sides

RiversideMotosports

Reaction score
Government wants to regulate Handling, Safety & Performance Design on Side-By-Sides

We need to speak up or we too will fall under the regulation umbrella. Help the industry grow and advance by stating your opinion here:

CPSC Ruling - Protect Your Right To Ride | Polaris Off Road Vehicles

To fill out the letter you have to be creative and use a US address.
If we don't speak up now, we're not allowed to bitch when we're all riding 30 HP lumber wagons...

Thanks & sorry if this was already posted but if it was, it's important enough to post again.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Government wants to regulate Handling, Safety & Performance Design on Side-By-Sid

Meh. Maybe they should stop selling 100+ hp UTVs with nothing but a lap belt. All this nonsense is from Americans registering their toys for street use and will result in Utvs becoming road safe small cars.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Government wants to regulate Handling, Safety & Performance Design on Side-By-Sid

Meh. Maybe they should stop selling 100+ hp UTVs with nothing but a lap belt.

What does that have to do with anything?? At least UTV's have some protection. What about quads and sleds??

Give your head a shake.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What does that have to do with anything?? At least UTV's have some protection. What about quads and sleds??

Give your head a shake.

Do you see quads and sleds driving around town? No. You do see UTVs on the street in many states and this is why the government wants to force safety regulations onto them. None the less, all this is happening in the U.S. which has zero to do with us.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Government wants to regulate Handling, Safety & Performance Design on Side-By...

The only problem with high powered machines, and it don't matter what it is. Is the retard factor, we all know them they have to have the biggest and baddest machine out there but have no respect and don't know how to handle them properly and get hurt. Just because your buddy has a 1000cc doesn't mean you need one cause maybe you can only handle a 400 which can still hurt ya. And yes I've been busted up lots cause I didn't respect the machines I was riding. But as I got older and did, it was weird I stopped breaking bones and didn't have to have the biggest and baddest unit out there and still had fun. But that's just my 2c

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you see quads and sleds driving around town? No. You do see UTVs on the street in many states and this is why the government wants to force safety regulations onto them. None the less, all this is happening in the U.S. which has zero to do with us.

the Canadian market is a drop in the bucket compared to the US, so whatever happens there happens here also, no manufacturer will build canadian only models

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't get down south much, do ya.

I've seen more quads at Walmart in Montana then UTV's.

And what happens down there has zero impact on us?? wow...

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's funny everyone brings up the horsepower as being the problem. Were in the video do any of the regulations mention any of it??

I would think if the regs had anything to do with safety, they would start by looking at crotch rockets. I'm guessing though, that like most things like it, that 'safety' has nothing to do with it.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back when quad's first hit the market,the gov. set min. standards for side roll over angles,ect,ect.
The major brand's all stepped up and said they were fine with the guide lines as long as they could
all police themselves.The government agreed,and away they went.
Independent examiners tested machines from all brands year after year. AND THEY ALL FAILED........
I am not a fan of the government sticking their nose in every aspect of our lives but when it comes to
safety of vehicles on and off road it's not so black and white.

How many year's ago were tether's invented? How many million's of sled's don't have them?
How much does it cost to install as OEM ? $1? $2? $3?
How many people have been injured, dissabled or killed because of a bunch of guy's in a board room
want to get profit's up higher.
This is off topic slightly yes, but sometimes big brother only steps in WAY after they should have.
I only mean in some situation's

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the gov't stepped in in the 80's when trikes were banned, there also was a cap put on atv displacement and when the legislation expired so to speak the OEM's started building bigger quads again and the race quad was put back into production....to many people must be getting injured again, like in the early 80's with trikes.....since common sense has been relaced with safety programs the gov't must feel it us up to them to keep "us" safe again.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back when quad's first hit the market,the gov. set min. standards for side roll over angles,ect,ect.
The major brand's all stepped up and said they were fine with the guide lines as long as they could
all police themselves.The government agreed,and away they went.
Independent examiners tested machines from all brands year after year. AND THEY ALL FAILED........
I am not a fan of the government sticking their nose in every aspect of our lives but when it comes to
safety of vehicles on and off road it's not so black and white.

How many year's ago were tether's invented? How many million's of sled's don't have them?
How much does it cost to install as OEM ? $1? $2? $3?
How many people have been injured, dissabled or killed because of a bunch of guy's in a board room
want to get profit's up higher.
This is off topic slightly yes, but sometimes big brother only steps in WAY after they should have.
I only mean in some situation's

A tether doesn't prevent you from going too fast, or rolling, or eliminate the need for common sense.

Maybe if they let nature run it's course, the problem would sort it self out. The same people that got hurt on trikes, got hurt on quads.
Regulations like this give people a false sense of safety. They think that since they have a helmet, and on a machine that was engineered for safety that nothing can happen. Just like a helmet makes people bullet proof, just like a tether. They are great AFTER you've lost control. They do nothing to keep you in control.

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are right. A tether does not prevent you from rolling ,going too fast,being an idiot,making a mistake,
ect.ect. But they are a good idea.
ALL SLEDS SHOULD HAVE THEM FROM THE FACTORY PERIOD.IMO they don't cause as I stated before they add $1 to the cost of a machine and to a bunch of paper pusher's $1 is too much. Bottom line is they are a good idea,they were invented 40 ish years ago,they are cheap,and they can save your ass if something goes wrong.
If the industry isn't smart enough to (help) save lives over $1 then maybe big brother should have enough brain's to step in and MAKE THEM.
In today's world profit's are by far the #1 concern of every company that exist's,it's sad but true.CEO's and board room's don't talk about quality or safety,they talk about margin's. I did not intent to make such a huge deal about tether's specifically, I'm just using them as an example of how thing's should be done vs. how they are done.

I almost hate to say it,but(sometimes) big brother is needed.Set min.standards for product's,stop toy company's from using lead based paint, ect.ect.
I smell a little BS in that video where the guy say's we would like to ,make thing' safer than the government does, Not a quote but it was something like that.

Last edited:

MADMAN

Reaction score

One can NEVER have too much HP, that's my 2 cents on the thread. Carry on :)

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are right. A tether does not prevent you from rolling ,going too fast,being an idiot,making a mistake,
ect.ect. But they are a good idea.
ALL SLEDS SHOULD HAVE THEM FROM THE FACTORY PERIOD.IMO they don't cause as I stated before they add $1 to the cost of a machine and to a bunch of paper pusher's $1 is too much. Bottom line is they are a good idea,they were invented 40 ish years ago,they are cheap,and they can save your ass if something goes wrong.
If the industry isn't smart enough to (help) save lives over $1 then maybe big brother should have enough brain's to step in and MAKE THEM.
In today's world profit's are by far the #1 concern of every company that exist's,it's sad but true.CEO's and board room's don't talk about quality or safety,they talk about margin's. I did not intent to make such a huge deal about tether's specifically, I'm just using them as an example of how thing's should be done vs. how they are done.

I almost hate to say it,but(sometimes) big brother is needed.Set min.standards for product's,stop toy company's from using lead based paint, ect.ect.
I smell a little BS in that video where the guy say's we would like to ,make thing' safer than the government does, Not a quote but it was something like that.

All companies are started to make money. As much money as possible.
Even when 'big brother' steps in, it usually has more to do with THEM making money, or filling the pockets of a lobbyist. Peoples better interest have little or nothing to do with it.

IF it was about safety, a factor installed govenor of 15 mph would be farrrr more effective, and as cheap as your tether. Same as vehicles. Why do we need to go anything more then the speed limit?? Why do we need to go even modern highway speeds at all?? Afterall, speed kills, right??

People have the ability to self govern in most cases, but you need to be informed. If you think tethers should be mandatory, the buy your Doo. If people stop purchasing a certain product, the company is forced to change. It's that simple.

How on earth did generations past ever survive without regulation???

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What ever regulations they impose, I sure hope they add an extra tax to cover them.... because UTV's are to inexpensive now.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Keep those regulations coming.

Top Bottom