Gorman Avalanche GoPro Video

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a person that has ridden Gorman quite a few times this year, it is packed with heavy avalanche terrain areas. The climb where this avalanche fell can be accessed from the back side and is used for skiers mainly. When at the bottom it can be seen as a typical avy run out.

It is still great to see the video, hopefully it helps people say no to some of the climbs that should never be attempted.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some peoples children, all I have to say

You would never catch me up that half way any time of the year

That hole face has slid and took the ice off the lake and pushed it up the other side, back in the 90's if I recall

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some peoples children, all I have to say

You would never catch me up that half way any time of the year

That hole face has slid and took the ice off the lake and pushed it up the other side, back in the 90's if I recall

You're thinking a different slope. This is the slope directly across from the "main climb" to reach the alpine where the lake is on. As you go through the last bit of trail, through the trees, it opens up and you can go straight or left up the hill to reach the alpine. I've seen tracks on this slope before, and watch a guy sidehill the slope just left of the one on the video.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Already posted in the golden section. We came up on these guys just after the slide happened. Climbing an avy chute that was wind loaded and south facing on a sunny day. Exactly what avalanche Canada warned about. There were 2 of them on the hill. His buddy got barried up on the shelf and he got carried a ways down. There lucky neither of the ended up dead. Use your HEADS, and for God sake check avy conditions!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're thinking a different slope. This is the slope directly across from the "main climb" to reach the alpine where the lake is on. As you go through the last bit of trail, through the trees, it opens up and you can go straight or left up the hill to reach the alpine. I've seen tracks on this slope before, and watch a guy sidehill the slope just left of the one on the video.
Nope I'm not, the hole face from the trail end, to the west lake end

There's a pic of it somewhere in golden I have seen

I've road gorman lots and lots

After seeing that pic it sketchs the crap out of me to go through it

Last edited:

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another one today/yesterday as per biglines instagram
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458606337.110814.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458606352.005735.jpg

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome what not to do video! Just wait till guys like this get on an 850!

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having riden Gorman for twenty years, that entire southwest facing slope is one of the most dangerous slopes in the western slopes, it slides at least once a year and to my memory has claimed lives before. I am very glad to read this guy made it alive, my sincere congratulations. That being said, to climb an avalanche chute as that is is absolutely ignorant and just reinforces the need for intelligence and training, both which appear to be missed. Please educate yourself and ensure your group members are as well. There are at least 5 other posts on this site asking for the same.

Top Bottom