Gore-Tex competitor materials

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my goretex gear, I have klim. I was told early on that when I get wet (and I was really wet and f'n cold at the moment) that there was just one solution from that "Goretex". Some of it is getting long in the tooth now, plus we need more as the kids are getting older. The patent ran out on Goretex in 2004 - thats a bit now. There are a quite a few competitors out there making similar products now. I have heard some aren't quite as good, and a few are somewhat better.

Yamaha just switched some of their gear to another product, they had a ""Gore-tex move aside!!"" tag line last I checked. The product they are using (can't remember name) is indeed one of the better products, not just lower end knock off.

I open to new products. With companies like DuPont and other putting stuff out, what do you guys see in actual sled gear. There is all kinds of info on these new materials used in products for outdoor gear for hikers, bikers, climbers, skiers etc. But none of that gear is strong enough for us. I haven't come across too many sled gear reviews...like none.

What have you guys heard on this subject. A quick search on Gore-Tex competitors gets the Google engine going on other materials. for those that want to peek/learn.

Who has tried any sled specific products with one the competitors materials?

Thanks fellow sled dudes.

Jenkie

Reaction score
E-Vent Material is a competitor - you can find it at most out door type places like coop mnt sports or Valhalla pure in red deer. They are expensive though and usually only come with the hoods and visor as one piece - not good for seldders.
Polaris gear has the e-vent material and is amazing. I love it - never wet, never cold - if you get too busy and warm, just open up some vents and life is good - trick is to make sure you are wearing the wicking materials underneath the shells (pants and coats) and layer up. I use the Columbia underwear - is cheaper than the Klim or Polaris stuff and does the same job. Best money I spent on clothing.

Top Bottom