GoPro digital cameras

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used the GoPro Digital cameras? I thought it seemed like a cool item, so I picked one up. (Just got it today.) Any feedback would be appreciated! Was kind of an impulse buy, but what the heck. Could make for some great videos throughout the winter, provided we actually get some white stuff in the Edmonton area! May have to lend it to 700summitguy (if you're up for it?!?) to get some real video! Let me know, if anyone has any experience with these cameras, as well I will try to throw my two bits up here as well! Thanks!

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about the camera but do know we need some dang snow!!!!! Maybe need to arrange a snow dance or something. Start praying to the snow gods!!

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying one out too. Did you get the wide angle version? All the ones i've seen in edmonton are not. I was thinking either one of these or a tachyon to go along with my bullet cam.

bcboy

Reaction score
i have one used it on my street bike it works great one i figured it out. but the true test will be in the snow will see how it works when i take the new nytro out :d

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying one out too. Did you get the wide angle version? All the ones i've seen in edmonton are not. I was thinking either one of these or a tachyon to go along with my bullet cam.

I got the GoPro Wide. It appears to have a fisheye lense. I believe it has a 170 degree viewing area. Just have to get some triple AAA batteries to get it going and try it out. Comes with a suction cup base, so maybe try it in the car and get some of the "great" drivers on camera?!?!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about the camera but do know we need some dang snow!!!!! Maybe need to arrange a snow dance or something. Start praying to the snow gods!!

I agree with you on the snow thing!!! We need to get more people together and pray for snow, maybe even a 'snow dance'??? I am hoping for the snow, as I woulld like to try the camera on the sleds too, bcboy!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JB's carries the 'Wide' version.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure tough to let anyone know how this camera works on the sled, without any bloody snow in the area!

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya...I went quadding yesterday and decided to bring it along to try it for the first time. Footage was really boring but I wanted to work out the kinks for sledding season...not to capture quadding in the frozen muskeg-I'd post the footage but it's like watching paint dry.

Had it mounted on top of my closed face helmet....worked good to get the footage but then I couldn't open my visor since I also have some velcro on top for my lead dog helmet light which I also tried for the first time-worked awesome!

I used energizer lithium batteries which worked great...indicator says they're still full. I also used a 4gb sdhc which worked fine-I thought the max was a 2gb.

Good: Great video quality!

Bad: Terrible picture quality in any light, terrible sound. Also, I bought the wide angle version which makes the picture look like a fish bowl.
I don't think a guy would want to watch an entire sledding video in this format.

I also have a bullet cam which I plan on using on my helmet and then will probably mount the Hero cam on my sled pointing at me or in front of me-will probably switch it up.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least you had an excuse to use yours!!! I've no quad (yet.) Hopefully we'll get some snow this year...

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked one up in leduc from diversion perf, took it out last week and seemed to work great. not much for snow so a video on here would be pretty sad, but the pictures look pretty good as well, got the wide angle one, which looks great from the riders view point, but like mentioned a whole video would be a bit much, for riders eye view, price and quality, well worth it imo..

Attachments

• Herocam 014.jpg
    Herocam 014.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked one up in leduc from diversion perf, took it out last week and seemed to work great. not much for snow so a video on here would be pretty sad, but the pictures look pretty good as well, got the wide angle one, which looks great from the riders view point, but like mentioned a whole video would be a bit much, for riders eye view, price and quality, well worth it imo..

Looks pretty good to me. I got the wide angle one too. Just waiting for some snow here, so that I can go out and use it!

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made a quick bad video to show the filming on the herocam, pretty decent I think for 200 bucks, now I have to test it out snorkeling, see if it's really waterproof. No sled sounds on the clip, as I read the instructions after riding that day...I had to set the mic to high, then the sound was pretty good. Could hear the sled climbing and riding down the trail, not overpowered by windnoise at all.

Just watched the link, quality is better than shown on the website, pretty compressed, hope that helps.

Last edited:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a Hero Cam for Christmas. It's the wide angle model. I took the sled out for a rip around home today, and decided I would test out the cam. Here's the video. Watch it in High Quality, much better.
YouTube - Helmet Cam Test

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
i think for the price it looks really good
guys have to think about the temps those cameras have to work in

rucky you defenatly have lots of wildlife in your backyard !

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think for the price it looks really good
guys have to think about the temps those cameras have to work in

rucky you defenatly have lots of wildlife in your backyard !

I agree, for the price, the video quality is impressive. The camera will work fine in the temperatures.. The only concern is battery life. That day I was using standard alkaline batteries (which is not reccomended), it was -6 and I had very little battery power left after roughly 15 min of filming. Going to use lithium batteries (as is reccomended), but they are kinda hard on the wallet at over $12.00 for two AAA batteries!
If you mean all the tracks in the field, yes there is lots of activity back there. Just ask my dog, she never shuts up.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
15minutes thats it ?

please check it quickly with the other batteries

really wanna know what kind of minutes you get out of it

thx

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15minutes thats it ?

please check it quickly with the other batteries

really wanna know what kind of minutes you get out of it

thx

They were approximately half gone after 15 minutes. And I will be checking this out over the next week or so in Sicamous. Won't be back till next Sunday though. Probably won't get back to you on this until Next Monday night. Sorry.

Top Bottom