Good youth atv suggestions needed

olymon

Reaction score
I have a friend looking at a possible atv for his kids and he needs some advice on the best of the cheap ones. It has to survive 4 kids. They are starting out young, girl 7, boys 5, 4, and 1. I'm sure it will get passed down so he's looking for one that is easy to get parts and will survive that many kids. He is looking at a $500 to $800 price range on black friday sales. Tao tao, some kind of little bear?? and other ones.

Thanks in advance for any info

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went threw the chinese atv stage with my boy,If i was to do it again I would have started out with a better quality one right from the start.theres no way a chinese atv will survive 4 chidren imo.Your friend should buy really cheap and expect to have to replace after the first 2 chidren wore it out.Maybe he should consider 2 atv's a 90cc and a 50cc used this time of year they should be fairly cheap.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the cheap brands check out Eton.I've had four different ones as the kids got older. all were excellent.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend the money on a major brand like Yamaha, Honda or even Polaris they will last long and if you do break down parts are easy to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olymon

Reaction score
Great replies!, any more input?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend the money on a major brand like Yamaha, Honda or even Polaris they will last long and if you do break down parts are easy to get.

Don't forget Suzuki

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a little quad and a dune buggy (both by Gio) in 2007 for my first 2 kids. They didn't drive them overly hard but did use them a lot. Now my younger 2 still ride the same machines, and both still run fine. The only mechanical things were a carb and batteries. Stuff like the lights fell off but they never rode at night anyway.

For me the cost of these was less together than half a brand name quad, and was the difference between them riding and not riding.

I like the stability of the dune buggy, as well as the roll cage. The kids generally liked it better too. I never understood why the brand name players never made such machines. I did not like the manual choke because it meant I always had to be there, unlike the quad.

There is no mistaking the quality vs a Japanese brand, but for the application I am happy with the cheap stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda all the way for a youth starter machine

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the cheap brands check out Eton.I've had four different ones as the kids got older. all were excellent.

I've bought a few gios and they don't hold together well, rear suspension bushings alway wear fast, chains come off steady, kids learn how to put back on themselves as it happens so often. My friend bought an eton and it is far superior in quality, 6 -10 year olds ride it steady all summer and oversize teenagers abusing it as well and no issues in three years now

olymon

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the great insight on these little machines.

aocbiz

Reaction score
The E-Ton gets my vote, mod parts, clutch kits, pipe, shocks are all readily available.
I had a 90 cc the unit held up well.
These are or were used as racers down in the states when I had one.
Next I would buy a Yamaha or Polaris, the cheap cheap ones are pretty junky and your always wrenching on them.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use to have an old moto4. 2wd, stupid light, and was a fun little quad for our kids. Was blown away by some of the stuff that thing would go through. Probably a bit on the large size though.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ever considered a bike? we started with a chinese quad (hummer 110) pos!!!!!
Then picked up a slightly used yamaha ttr 50 dirt bike for 800 with training wheels. That was about 6 yrs ago and the only thing I have done was Change oil, and 1 fender
imo these little bikes are great used they seem to always hang in there just under 1000 as well so you dont even really lose money.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree get a brand name machine. It will last for years

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are these brand name bikes better for jumping campfires?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are still going. Poor beer runner quad

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X1000000 on the Yamaha dirtbikes. Bombproof and great resale value. Had a china-quad. Gave it to neighbour and it wont run for him either with oh about 3hrs on it.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't sleep on the etons. I bought a 70 that didn't run for $400. I cleaned the carb and put a new battery and the thing has run great. My son rides the Eton and my daughter has a Suzuki 80 and in my opinion the Eton is a superior quad. The Suzuki is good as well however the adjustable shocks, hydraulic disc breaks and adjustable cdi make it a better quad.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another endorsement for the Eton here. Have had a 90 for a few years and with speed limiter and remote shut off key fob it's been a great quad for my son to learn on. It was 5 years old when we found it used but it only had 7 hours on it so still brand new condition. Changed out all the fluids and had to change the battery last summer but otherwise great little quad. I'm a bigger guy and I can even have fun ripping around on it and it still goes pretty good. The shocks don't like my fat ass on it though!

Top Bottom