Good ride in the snow storm until..

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and some friends were riding through a field around smokey lake when this happened to a buddy of mine 2002 summit 800...

that i sold to him 4 years ago ..:beer: :d. from the looks of it it looked like he leaned it out bad. We dug into it further and noticed that one of the "Nipple/barb's" on the bottom of the DPM tree had broken off leaving the hose for the destroyed cylinders carb hanging, not sure if that would be the casue but just for fun he checked the compression on the other cylinder and it was 135 psi. not too bad for me doing the top end 4 years ago. Anyways he was buying a new XP anyways.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old BRP crank stuff MMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL

I can say this because i own one of these peices of crap

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old BRP crank stuff MMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL

I can say this because i own one of these peices of crap
yeah, who would expect that a 9 year old sled with a 4 yr old top end rebuild would have a crank problem? lol....

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Rev 800 that had a similar fate. I went to the shop and told them I had a coolant leak. I said " I think it coming through here" and I handed them a 3-4" square piece of the block.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha i handed him some JB WELD that was at the shop and said, "here this should fix her up". I also tried the "it'll buff out" the owner wasnt too thrilled.

I also forgot to mention he got a Cat clutch on it for some reason. (havent rode with him since i sold it to him) and apparently it was revving almost 9000 rpm (according to the tach) :wtf1: :eek: in the fields and apparently that seemed normal to him.

and yep.. he was doing more liek mach chicken (or at least it sounded like he was) beside me then it got quiet all of the sudden. haha

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya if your gona mod a sled at least keep itin the family. not the first time ive seen a crank failure due to cat/poo clutches being installed.

and ya 9000rpm is screamin kill me!!

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just asking, what would be the difference what clutch you were running ? As long as it's balanced, maintained, and weighted properly, it should all be a go....no ?
I've had my polaris bottom end re-done by Indy Specialties, and the clutch supplied is a A/C. No where near the clutch as a P85, IMO, but non-the less, balanced, machined to fit, and the one supplied with the 5yr bottom end warrenty.
Is the problem, people putting on other OEM clutches and not knowing/understanding the set-up ?:confused:

Please elaborate

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i actually have no idea ive just seen many broken crank stubs on doos with p-85s.

some may laugh at me for this but i beleive the engineer who designed that crank designed it for a tra clutch weight and charactaristics.

but there are plenty of happy doos with p-85s also..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just asking, what would be the difference what clutch you were running ? As long as it's balanced, maintained, and weighted properly, it should all be a go....no ?
I've had my polaris bottom end re-done by Indy Specialties, and the clutch supplied is a A/C. No where near the clutch as a P85, IMO, but non-the less, balanced, machined to fit, and the one supplied with the 5yr bottom end warrenty.
Is the problem, people putting on other OEM clutches and not knowing/understanding the set-up ?:confused:

Please elaborate

Yes, as long as its weighted properly to avoid overrevving. Stubs snap off because the crank run out is magnified by an unbalanced clutch swinging around, also could be a machining issue if the tapers are not perfect then the clutch might not sit square on the crank stub. There have been lots of them over the years with no issues. An unbalanced clutch can snap the stub, but overrevving is a setup issue, specific to each motor.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and some friends were riding through a field around smokey lake when this happened to a buddy of mine 2002 summit 800...

that i sold to him 4 years ago ..:beer: :d. from the looks of it it looked like he leaned it out bad. We dug into it further and noticed that one of the "Nipple/barb's" on the bottom of the DPM tree had broken off leaving the hose for the destroyed cylinders carb hanging, not sure if that would be the casue but just for fun he checked the compression on the other cylinder and it was 135 psi. not too bad for me doing the top end 4 years ago. Anyways he was buying a new XP anyways.

Ha I ride near smokey as well. Great riding with all the fresh powder.:firefire:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Please elaborate

this is becuase of the big bearings indy dan installs. the pto end of the crank is also different from stock poo( i think it is a cat stub actually).

Top Bottom