Good Radio for Logging Roads in B.C.?

braapin

Reaction score
I am from Idaho and we go up to B.C. sledding a lot in the winter. There are a lot of roads that the loggers and snowmobilers share. I know there are certain frequencies that these log truck drivers use. I wasn't sure if they use a normal CB radio and are on a certain channel, or if they use something similar to a motorola 2 way radios or something similar where you actually have to get the frequency programmed into the radio. I would like to get a radio that was fairly inexpensive for when we travel up there. It would definitely be smart when you are driving up some of those narrow logging roads. Anyones input or suggestions would be great.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
Apparently in Canada it is illegal to self program a VHF radio, (along with smoking in public and riding a bike without a helmet) but many guys do it to air on the side of caution when using logging roads. When you buy a VHF radio at a certified retailer, specify with the store you buy it from that you will be using it on certain logging roads in certain parts of BC, and they will be able to program most of the frequencies into the radio for you. If you happen to buy one on Ebay or what have you, make sure you can plug it into your computer and program it yourself. From what I understand, the radio is not illegal if you are simply using it as a 'scanner.' As soon as you transmit you are apparently 'breaking the law.' 100% of truckers on logging roads will welcome your responsible use of the frequency so you know their location and most will be very happy to hear where you are so they don't kill you.

My neighbor drives a logging truck and wishes everybody who drove on active roads HAD to have radios. He said he almost cleaned out a 4 place trailer and truck coming down from silent pass last week. He was loaded heading down and missed a non-radio road user by probably 6 inches on a blind corner. He told me he is HAPPY to hear from us sledders and is HAPPY to use a pull out so we can safely pass... Please keep this in mind when you are using active logging roads.

Titan

Reaction score
Apparently in Canada it is illegal to self program a VHF radio, (along with smoking in public and riding a bike without a helmet) but many guys do it to air on the side of caution when using logging roads. When you buy a VHF radio at a certified retailer, specify with the store you buy it from that you will be using it on certain logging roads in certain parts of BC, and they will be able to program most of the frequencies into the radio for you. If you happen to buy one on Ebay or what have you, make sure you can plug it into your computer and program it yourself. From what I understand, the radio is not illegal if you are simply using it as a 'scanner.' As soon as you transmit you are apparently 'breaking the law.' 100% of truckers on logging roads will welcome your responsible use of the frequency so you know their location and most will be very happy to hear where you are so they don't kill you.

My neighbor drives a logging truck and wishes everybody who drove on active roads HAD to have radios. He said he almost cleaned out a 4 place trailer and truck coming down from silent pass last week. He was loaded heading down and missed a non-radio road user by probably 6 inches on a blind corner. He told me he is HAPPY to hear from us sledders and is HAPPY to use a pull out so we can safely pass... Please keep this in mind when you are using active logging roads.

Exactly....Yes...technically it's illegal to transmit, however I'm very very responsible when I do use my radio.
It's not a high school social chat peice of equipment.
If I want to just chat away with a buddy or somthing, I switch to FRS or GMRS bands in UHF.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Idaho and we go up to B.C. sledding a lot in the winter. There are a lot of roads that the loggers and snowmobilers share. I know there are certain frequencies that these log truck drivers use. I wasn't sure if they use a normal CB radio and are on a certain channel, or if they use something similar to a motorola 2 way radios or something similar where you actually have to get the frequency programmed into the radio. I would like to get a radio that was fairly inexpensive for when we travel up there. It would definitely be smart when you are driving up some of those narrow logging roads. Anyones input or suggestions would be great.

This is the radio I use:

Kenwood - TK-7360H-8360H Mobile Two-Way Radio

Make sure you get a proper antenna, a magnet base and run the cable through a window or better yet, get the antenna permanently mounted. With this radio in my truck depending on where I am I can get as much as 50 km range.

As for channels, one of the best things for you to do is go to a radio shop in the area of BC you plan to travel, tell them what you have and what you are planning to do, for a nominal charge they will put in a local channel list, usually 80-100 different channels and you should be covered.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another low cost option is most local radio shops will rent out a VHF radio for a weekend. Pick the town your going to, find out who the radio shops are and call ahead.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
another low cost option is most local radio shops will rent out a VHF radio for a weekend. Pick the town your going to, find out who the radio shops are and call ahead.

westcan wireless in Edmonton was really good to me this summer. I demo'ed a set of radios at no cost with the prospect of buying a few. Didn't get my funding in order at the time for what I needed but I would still go back to them in a heart beat.

Top Bottom