Good 2 way Radios?????

Titan

Reaction score
all the radios are line of sight, gmrs has less range than the road radios, a hand held road radio has about the same range as a 5 watt rhino radio. if your looking for outside help you will need a sat phone, which can be rented or bought.

Essentially yes all radios are line of sight

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
So in a nutshell, if I want to be a responsible outdoorsman, I would want a dual band radio to monitor all my friends with cheapy FRS/GMRS radios, and I would also want to listen to VHF frequencies. If a guy wanted to shell out 300 or 400 bucks instead of 50-70 for a good dual band radio that you can program and 'break the law' with, what are the options?

sorry a guy would need a field programmable radio with a display in dual band, correct?

Last edited:

Titan

Reaction score
So in a nutshell, if I want to be a responsible outdoorsman, I would want a dual band radio to monitor all my friends with cheapy FRS/GMRS radios, and I would also want to listen to VHF frequencies. If a guy wanted to shell out 300 or 400 bucks instead of 50-70 for a good dual band radio that you can program and 'break the law' with, what are the options?

sorry a guy would need a field programmable radio with a display in dual band, correct?

not sure I understand your question....

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
Sorry that was a little wordy....

If I want to be the most capable in my communication efforts, a guy would need a dual band, field programmable radio with a numeric display, correct? That would cover all the people in the group with walmart radios, and those of us that choose VHF all out of one radio.

Titan

Reaction score
Well...bang for buck
Puxing hands down
Although i'm sure motorola, kenwood etc are All really good

Titan

Reaction score
Ebay
From china
Usually free shipping and decent deals with the PC programming cable and software included...you want the cable.

If you buy locally will cost way more
And unlikely the radios are unlocked meaning you have full access to the entire vhf and uhf bands

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
Thanks Titan
Just ordered a Puxing 888 to try it out and see how it works.

Thanks for the help

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I have been using the snowmobile kit from ruggedradios.com and it works amazing. Helmet kit with speakers and mic, vhf waterproof radio which I had programmed with 40 local logging road channels, waterproof push to talk button. They are loud enough in the helmet you dont have to let off the throttle to talk. we got about 2kms in the bush with the sleds running, further if you shut them off. we installed some in open face moto-x helmets and some in modular, both work great.

Top Bottom