Good 2 way Radios?????

PBNFLD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need to buy a new set of two way radios for the upcoming winter in BC and was wonding if anyone might have some input on whats good on the market now. Any info you have would be awesome, Thanks!!

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at puxing 777 on ebay. Also get a radio from the US as they are more powerful 5 watt vs in Canada a radio is 3 watt. I looked at the puxing and I was very impressed for the cost of them. I would buy one but our group is looking at the rino gps.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

Titan

Reaction score
I currently use the PUXING 888k and love them for Quadding. I also picked up a helmet speaker/microphone set up for my quad helmet and can't say enough about the value for the money.
The thing about these are they are both VHF and UHF so can be used with any of the Rino's or cheapy cobra's you can buy at canadian tire....only double + the power.
They are unlocked so are not 100% legal so be advised.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can buy a water resistant bag for them...I wouldn't rely on it tho...just put it in an inside pocket
lol...yeah, I saw that somewhere. looks like a ziplock bag with a spot for the antenna, I think it was under 5 bucks so I'm guessing the quality is that of a ziplock bag

Titan

Reaction score
so these puxing's work with Rhinos?

The Dual bands do yes...The Dual bands are VHF and UHF. I think the Rhino's work on UHF band similar to FRS and GMRS radio's like you can buy at walmart etc. Only on the UHF band you have 4 watts and on the VHF band you have 5 watts. The cheapy FRS/GMRS are usually 0.5 watts.
you only need know the exact frequency of the rinos and google is your friend there.
Family Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VHF band is what all the truckers, loggers, oil patch guys use (ladd 1, Ladd2 etc.)
VHF is also what is used by boats etc.

Titan

Reaction score
The Dual bands do yes...The Dual bands are VHF and UHF. I think the Rhino's work on UHF band similar to FRS and GMRS radio's like you can buy at walmart etc. Only on the UHF band you have 4 watts and on the VHF band you have 5 watts. The cheapy FRS/GMRS are usually 0.5 watts.
you only need know the exact frequency of the rinos and google is your friend there.
Family Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VHF band is what all the truckers, loggers, oil patch guys use (ladd 1, Ladd2 etc.)
VHF is also what is used by boats etc.

EDIT...I just checked and yes the Rhino's work on the UHF (FRS, GMRS) frequencies.
EDIT 2...
I should also point out that you can get these PUXING's in single band for either UHF OR VHF...OR you can get the slightly more expensive model that does BOTH bands...I have several single bands and a pair of duals...duals are great cause you can tune into pretty much any frequecy commenly used by whatever group your running with

Last edited:

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
So basically you need a UHF programmable radio then. Dual band gets you the VHF frequency for the drive in and UHF to work well in the bush + to connect to the FMS GMRS. Is that correct?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the radios are line of sight, gmrs has less range than the road radios, a hand held road radio has about the same range as a 5 watt rhino radio. if your looking for outside help you will need a sat phone, which can be rented or bought.

Titan

Reaction score
So basically you need a UHF programmable radio then. Dual band gets you the VHF frequency for the drive in and UHF to work well in the bush + to connect to the FMS GMRS. Is that correct?

That is correct...although I tend to use VHF more even in the bush but I'm a rebel like that.
Watt for Watt...VHF tends to have slightly more range...
VHF is usually better in open terrain and UHF is usally better in an urban environment
The explaination for that is a long and complicated one that is best discussed over several beer.

Top Bottom