Going "fer a rip"

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems like everyone wants to go for a ride over the christmas holidays this year. Only problem is my sled is currently tuned for high altitude. Its a 08 M8 with full SLP pipe kit and ported cylinders and shaved head from brent linderman and a boondocker box. I currently dont have any gauges for tuning (planning on ordering a A/F gauge) so is there anyone who has some numbers for me to try so I can go "fer a rip" here at home (roughly 1000ft). Last time I talked to brent, he said that the SLP pipe is pretty rich for the 08 motor, even with his porting. And the numbers he gave me for my high altitude riding are mostly taking fuel away, so I was thinking of trying all settings at 0. I dont really care if it runs too rich while I am burning around here at home. Rather that than melting it down.

craptabulous

Reaction score
I would give you mine but i was to lean on a brand new engine in my 1000 a week ago and seized a piston . Virtually no piston wash , low altitude . It needs fuel when modded , lots of fuel .

My egt gauges werent working at the time :( my bad .

I have similar mods mine is probably a little more modded but not much.

There are lots of boondocker numbers on snow west . Big differences on everyones numbers , you knda need to do your own taking wash , egt and a/f into account .

Last edited:

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would give you mine but i was to lean on a brand new engine in my 1000 a week ago and seized a piston . Virtually no piston wash , low altitude . It needs fuel when modded , lots of fuel .

My egt gauges werent working at the time :( my bad .

I have similar mods mine is probably a little more modded but not much.

There are lots of boondocker numbers on snow west . Big differences on everyones numbers , you knda need to do your own taking wash , egt and a/f into account .

Yeah I have been poking around snowest a bit. Were your numbers close to 0? Like I said, all my numbers are either 0 or below and that's for 6-9000 feet. So I think I am going to start adding a little bit at all rpms and see how my plugs and wash look.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

craptabulous

Reaction score
I have some zero's and some at ten and even one up at 15 . I also have an 07 so its probably a totally different map .

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will burn that sled down running pump fuel regardless how much you adjust the boondocker map unless you are running race fuel. Call Brent and ask what octane requirements are needed for your sled. A cut head (increased compression) will tend to detonate. If the machine is built for 6-9000' with av gas or a mix of race fuel, chances are it won't live at lower elevations, even with straight c-12.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't talked to him lately but when I talked to him a.couple months ago when I got the work done he said I can run 91 pump gas at altitude. Maybe I should just find myself an old summit 670 or xlt xtra 10 lol.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't talked to him lately but when I talked to him a.couple months ago when I got the work done he said I can run 91 pump gas at altitude. Maybe I should just find myself an old summit 670 or xlt xtra 10 lol.

Ok, well if you can run pump 91 at altitude, you should be able to run a mix of 100LL or C-12 with premium 91 at your local elevation WITHOUT changing any boondocker numbers. Because Brent built the motor, he would be able to tell you what ratio to use. Hope this helps.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, well if you can run pump 91 at altitude, you should be able to run a mix of 100LL or C-12 with premium 91 at your local elevation WITHOUT changing any boondocker numbers. Because Brent built the motor, he would be able to tell you what ratio to use. Hope this helps.

Yeah man thanks alot!

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little update on this. I took the sled out on Sunday. I didn't change any numbers on the box but I ran a mixture of 60/40 race fuel to premium. Sled ran not bad, kinda lean on the bottom end but that was something I kind of expected. The mid to top end was pretty crisp. Plugs looked ok, the electrode was a very light brown, not much color on the threads but they were new plugs that day and I only went out for a couple hours. Overall the sled ran well enough for what I was using it for.

Also a big thanks to oneoldfart for helping me out!

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little update on this. I took the sled out on Sunday. I didn't change any numbers on the box but I ran a mixture of 60/40 race fuel to premium. Sled ran not bad, kinda lean on the bottom end but that was something I kind of expected. The mid to top end was pretty crisp. Plugs looked ok, the electrode was a very light brown, not much color on the threads but they were new plugs that day and I only went out for a couple hours. Overall the sled ran well enough for what I was using it for.

Also a big thanks to oneoldfart for helping me out!

Top Bottom