Goin' To Golden

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of us are going from Fernie up to Golden in the first week of April. We are meeting up with a guy (and a few friends) from the Ottawa area who's wife sent him out sledding for his 40th birthday present. They have got XM's rented for a day with a guide and we are going to tag along for a day of "boon-docking and climbing".

Question is: us guys from Fernie have never rode Golden and we want to ride the day before the group ride (and possibly the day after...depending on the level of the 40th birthday celebrations).
Where would be the best areas to go for an unguided ride?
This would be Thursday for the pre-ride, Friday for the guided ride, and maybe an easy Saturday ride if the old bodies can handle it.
We are both competent enough to go most anyplace but would like to see what Golden has to offer....

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have a high risk tollerance ???

I do ...

just ask ...

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chatter sounds good. We did Island Lake Lodge by Fernie for 2 awesome days last year after they closed the cat-skiing for the season.

I guess we need to find out the area where we are going for the birthday boys guided tour day so we can go somewhere different on the other days.

You want some of the best golden had to offer.... Chatter opens Apr 6!

There are other. areas but no one will give em up ;)

i know i will be up chatter that weekend.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chatter is huge, but IMO, tough for a day trip. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 70+ km of forestry road? That being said, if I was healthy, I would be there.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
day trips are possible and have done many, just don't expect to ride at 10:30 in the morning or earlier. You are right, last year parking was at km 72ish which translates into over a hour on a pretty shitty road. BUT in april you can ride later in the day so it makes up for it:beer:

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also done day trips, which is how I know they are tough. Gotta a post forward kit to do on my sled then wouldn't mind getting together oler, to go through the Nos kit. Have it ready for next year anyway. Probably go through my clutching too if you don't mind. Neck is still fawked, probably worse than two months ago. Pretty sure I still have your number.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
day trips are possible and have done many, just don't expect to ride at 10:30 in the morning or earlier. You are right, last year parking was at km 72ish which translates into over a hour on a pretty shitty road. BUT in april you can ride later in the day so it makes up for it:beer:

I don't think we are going to do any drama rides our first time there - particularly a long FSR drive into the back-country in big avalanche conditions - just looking to get a taste of the different areas to know for next time up there. Also really don't want to ride an hour of shitty groomed trail to poke around at some overly popular spots with no fresh snow to ride...maybe I'm asking for too much...!

Top Bottom