Goggle Recommendations

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim arctic balaclava is nice, has a built in breath deflector, happy I bought it.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For people running smiths, anybody use the sensor blue mirrored? I am looking for a lense for low light to accompany my dark mirrored SPYs.

I think I am going to go with either the Scope Pro or the Sentry. Anybody use one or both of these?

Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with SPY know what their low-light lense is? Best I could find with the Targa III was bronze or bronze/silver mirrored

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the klim goggles? They sold out quick last year. Did they live up yo the hype?

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com
The Airoh Aviator Helmet and Oakley Airbrakes are a great combo, they seal off together very well. The helmet is crazy light and super comfortable. And optically, I believe Oakley is in a class of their own, I wish they would be market more towards sledders as they have invested the capital into making an unreal product. Its not a cheap combination, but anything that is noticeably better usually isn't. Cheers!-J

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the klim goggles? They sold out quick last year. Did they live up yo the hype?

Wife has them and she likes them! I tried hers out and they where comfy. Probably not good for the real cold they let lots of air into them.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
My 509 Sinister's (Burandt edition) have worked great for the last 2 years for me. I know others don't like them as much though. Likely has more to do with face-shape than anything else.

The 509 aviators were terrible though, fogged up quick and scratched easy.

Yaco

Reaction score
My 509 Sinister's (Burandt edition) have worked great for the last 2 years for me. I know others don't like them as much though. Likely has more to do with face-shape than anything else.

The 509 aviators were terrible though, fogged up quick and scratched easy.

Also tried the 509 Aviators last year and found them to be overpriced garbage. Fogged up like crazy no matter what conditions were like, and if conditions were poor they were almost useless.

Personally I have always been a fan of SPY Goggles. I have two pairs right now and love em both. Have the Marshals, and the Zed's. Both fit nicely into my Shoei helmet. The lenses are great for not fogging up. Highly recommend SPY.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try them on with a helmet and you should have a good fit. with the good fit you should be ok for the day but don't overdress as you will overheat and then fog up

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also tried the 509 Aviators last year and found them to be overpriced garbage. Fogged up like crazy no matter what conditions were like, and if conditions were poor they were almost useless.

Personally I have always been a fan of SPY Goggles. I have two pairs right now and love em both. Have the Marshals, and the Zed's. Both fit nicely into my Shoei helmet. The lenses are great for not fogging up. Highly recommend SPY.

Hey Yaco, what lense shades do you suggest from SPY for low light/cloudy days?
I really like my mirrored SPY goggles and sunglasses but can't seem to find a low light lense I like from them

i have a Scott and a smith goggle on my short list at the moment and then maybe a SPY as well depending on the available lense.
Smith has the blue sensor mirror which seems to be highly recommended and then the Scott's have the rose lense. Any experience with either of these?

Last edited:

Yaco

Reaction score
Hey Yaco, what lense shades do you suggest from SPY for low light/cloudy days?
I really like my mirrored SPY goggles and sunglasses but can't seem to find a low light lense I like from them

i have a Scott and a smith goggle on my short list at the moment and then maybe a SPY as well depending on the available lense.
Smith has the blue sensor mirror which seems to be highly recommended and then the Scott's have the rose lense. Any experience with either of these?

With the Marshal's I have the Blue Contact for low light and like them quite a bit. For the Zed's I think I have the Persimmon lens but not 100% sure on that. I prefer the Marshal's with the Blue Contact for my low light riding. Both sets of goggles came with a 2nd lens included with purchase so I also have darker lenses for bright days. They take a lot of abuse too without getting badly scratched, and still remain quite resistant to fog.

I haven't tried Smith or Scott's lately. My girlfriend skis with nothing but Smith goggles and loves them, specifically the Smith IO's. Not sure how they would do sledding though. She uses the Blue Sensor Mirror for everything and likes it a lot. She's quite a hardcore skiier and says the Blue Sensor Mirror works great in low light even though it's more a bright day lens (I'm slowly working on trying to convert her to sledding....wish me luck this winter).

First pair of Spy goggles I bought was in the late 90's and have been pleased with the quality ever since.

Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I'll have to see if I can find a SPY frame I like with the blue contact.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody run the Smith RC36 lense? I found a good deal on a set of goggles but they have this lense, not the sensor blue I was initially looking for with the Smiths,

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
The Airoh Aviator Helmet and Oakley Airbrakes are a great combo, they seal off together very well. The helmet is crazy light and super comfortable. And optically, I believe Oakley is in a class of their own, I wish they would be market more towards sledders as they have invested the capital into making an unreal product. Its not a cheap combination, but anything that is noticeably better usually isn't. Cheers!-J

Yup.... I've been trying different goggles both in sledding and when I competed in freestyle skiing for about 15 yrs and there hasn't been a significant advance in low light lenses since the o-frame came out. I've spent a fortune on different lenses and frame combos and the Oakley o-frame from years ago is still the best!

Sent from my iPhone using

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few googgles but now only travel/ride with 3 pairs of scott 89xis. They are a medium sized goggle and have fit my klim f4 and fox v3 helmets well. Seal great and dont leak. 2 pairs are the blue light sensitive lens and work awesome in 90% of conditions. The other pair is a persimmion lens and works good in low light conditions. For night neither are fantastic and a clear set would be better.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a rose colour lens because i find they work well in the flat light and still work when it brightens up.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy all mine from Royal Distributing. Usually buy at least one pair a year and two replacement lenses (between the 4 members of my family).

marchuk

Reaction score
I find any google manufacture thats been producing googles for a long time etc Smith , Spy , Oakley , Dragon i have the best luck with and never have to worry about fogging

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought a pair of dragons and a pair of 100% to try this year, 509's are crap in my opinion.

Top Bottom