Go Pro or Contour Helmet Cam?

braapin

Reaction score
I am Looking at getting a helmet cam, I was wondering what produces the best quality video, and what has the best options for mounting available for the price. Any input or suggestions would be great.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the drift. The remote sets it apart

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

gcastillo

Reaction score
a mounted go pro has my vote here. not really that much of a competition if you ask me.

dooradical

Reaction score
Just posted this on a similar post...

I will admit that I didn't read all the posts so this may be irrelevant now. I have the Contour GPS. It came standard with bluetooth so I could use my phone as the viewfinder. It also has GPS to record your tracks, speed, and altitude synced right up with your video (cool feature.) I think those two features built into this small camera was a huge selling point for me. You cant look at the screen on the Drift if your helmet is on your head and it is mounted, so it is hard to get a good sense of what it is really pointing at. Same goes for the GoPro if you buy the screen back buddy. Also the contour gps lets you change camera setting via bluetooth, much like the wifi enabled go pro. If the GoPro has the screen attachment, then you cant have the wifi attachment. One attachment at a time. Still they are both nice cameras though. I just went with the contour GPS after a bunch of research. There is a nice review written here that I found.

DISCUSS POWER SPORTS Blog: Contour GPS Review

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Drift and am loving it. I have the Led cable to let me know when power is on and when it is recording. The sound with the remote Mic is incredible and its a nice size. I also picked up a 12v charger that I can plug into the sled and either charge the battery or run the camera off of the sled. With extra Sim cards I'll be able to recored indefinitely.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over a year ago I chipped the lens on my GoPro 2 (on the camera, not the case). Even with the chip in the lens the picture was pretty good and overall I very happy with it, but I have been meaning to get a new one. My procrastination has paid off and I just pre-ordered a GoPro 3 black edition. It should ship middle of November and I can't wait to try it out.

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
We are selling a heap of ex-demo and open box from GoPro, Contour, Drift and VIO at the moment if anyone is looking to pick up a cheap camera and/or acceessories.

Full details in .

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You didn't say what your budget was. GoPro Black Edition is a huge step in technology with POV cameras. You can actually film in 4k video, which is 4x the resolution of 1080P although at only 15fps. But even the 1080P should look unreal at 60fps. And the 720P is 120fps.

You also have a remote for turn on and off/mode changes etc. And of course Wifi to use with your phone. And it's 30% smaller than the previous GoPros. There's a lot more to say about this camera but you can look it up on their website. It's killer. I just ordered one last night too.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You didn't say what your budget was. GoPro Black Edition is a huge step in technology with POV cameras. You also have a remote for turn on and off/mode changes etc. And of course Wifi to use with your phone. There's a lot more to say about this camera but you can look it up on their website. It's killer. I just ordered one last night too.
there is a new drift camera out now, same size as the current HD 170 but with larger screen, wifi capable, two way remote (lets you know what mode you are in while recording), loop and tag ability, and waterproof down to 3 meters without a case. It's called the Ghost, sounds like a great camera.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the Ghost compares for the price.

Just did some reading on the Drift. It's a pricey unit considering it's the same price as the GoPro Black Edition. Yet it only does 1080p at 30 fps compared to the GP's 1080p at 60fps. The GP also does 720p at 120fps vs the Ghost's 720p at 60fps. No to mention that the GoPro 3 is capable of much greater resolution than 1080p. And for what you pay for the GP, you also get waterproof up to 197 feet. The camera on the Drift is also 11MP compared to the GP's 12MP (Obviously not a big difference). The GP can accept a 64GB card where the Ghost only takes a 32GB. The Drift Ghost also weighs over double what the new GP 3 weighs. 167 grams vs 74 grams.

A couple advantages with the Ghost are the zoom feature and video tag loop mode. And the fact that it has a built in LCD and you have to purchase that extra for the GoPro. But the GoPro LCD is now touch screen which it appears the Ghost isn't. The Ghost does have a larger battery at 1700mAh vs the GP's 1050mAh.

Both cameras have a waterproof Wifi remote and can be controlled via a smartphone. But the GoPro can be controlled from a distance of 600 feet where the Ghost can only run it from 30 feet. Both remotes can display on/off, modes, and be used to take pics. And a feature which I'm really digging, is the ability to adjust your field of view from wide to normal to narrow. Both cams have this ability.

I'm not bashing any product here, I've just been doing a bunch of research on cams the last few days!

Last edited:

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
We've posted a bit of an initial review on the here, we'll have a full review once we have a production model in our hands. The Hero3 Black does have more impressive video tech specs, but the Drift HD Ghost seems like a much better rounded camera for the everyday user. I think the Hero3 Black will appeal to professional videographers who have the computer power and editing software to take advantage of the higher spec video modes. Features like the built-in LCD screen and 1700mAh battery on the Drift HD Ghost (compared to 1050mAh on the GoPro) are more appealing to me for day to day use.

YFZ 450

Reaction score
Go pro hero 2 all the way and I have one for sale right now used a couple of times. Might as well call it new with all mounts and hardware. $250

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the mounting options provided by the drift cams. the swivel lens lets you mount it pretty much anywhere you want and the screen shows you exactly what you will be recording when you fire it up. the new 2 way remote is cool too, will be easy to tell you are recording with it mounted on the bars. 1080 slo mo would be nice tho

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
I like the mounting options provided by the drift cams. the swivel lens lets you mount it pretty much anywhere you want and the screen shows you exactly what you will be recording when you fire it up. the new 2 way remote is cool too, will be easy to tell you are recording with it mounted on the bars. 1080 slo mo would be nice tho

I just found out that we will be shipping all pre-ordered Drift HD Ghost cameras with over $100 worth of accessories (suction cup mount, helmet mount, lens cover replacement kit, spare battery). With the Ghost already coming with the 2-way remote, lcd screen, wi-fi, etc it has to be the most value packed option out there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just found out that we will be shipping all pre-ordered Drift HD Ghost cameras with over $100 worth of accessories (suction cup mount, helmet mount, lens cover replacement kit, spare battery). With the Ghost already coming with the 2-way remote, lcd screen, wi-fi, etc it has to be the most value packed option out there.
cool, looking forward to trying it out. extra battery will be nice, even though I've never had mine run out in a days riding so far with the HD 170.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Looking forward to trying out the hero 2 with the wifi attachment with my iphone app and all that this year.....I'll get the hero 3 eventually but have too much invested in this hero 2 with all the accessories now..... battery bacpacs, wifi, lcd screen, etc

Top Bottom