GM's Active Fuel Managment Syatem

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. I know that. But if you start to do more damage to the top end, that "damage" (ie. metal filings) may make it down to the oil pan, and may end up damaging the bottom end.
ahhhh...gotcha. Lining up a trailer now....

I didn't even bring it home...picked up from GM dealer and drove to my office...left it there. So it's really got minimal running since the noise started.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhhh...gotcha. Lining up a trailer now....

I didn't even bring it home...picked up from GM dealer and drove to my office...left it there. So it's really got minimal running since the noise started.

Need to borrow my Ford to yard the trailer?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to borrow my Ford to yard the trailer?
Got 'er covered mang...thanks. Buddy with the trailer has his ol 1 ton he uses to tow his race car...says I can borrow. Stress level slowly coming down.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 'er covered mang...thanks. Buddy with the trailer has his ol 1 ton he uses to tow his race car...says I can borrow. Stress level slowly coming down.....
Don't drive it Dave, one thing I've seen a few under warranty that I took the oil pan off too to clean the metal, cause it goes somewhere from the cam and lifter

Just depends how bad it is, then I decide yay or nay to take oil pan off too

We had one that was bad, got a new cam and lifters and motor lasted 7000 km and took out bottom end from metal going through bearings

sent while drinking tea's

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't drive it Dave, one thing I've seen a few under warranty that I took the oil pan off too to clean the metal, cause it goes somewhere from the cam and lifter

We had one that was bad, got a new cam and lifters and motor lasted 7000 km and took out bottom end from metal going through bearings

When you say "we"...you mean GM paid to do a 1/2 assed job under warranty hoping the vehicle would last until the warranty ran out....but it didn't. I'd trust YOU personally to work on my truck, but my opinion of dealers and GM has gotten lower and lower. I don't even know how they can hold a straight face and give some of the quotes they do. And what about the motor job quote....GM tells me (I have the paperwork) the complete engine is 6550.00 plus 18 hr install plus a bit of misc. I google the part number and I can get the SAME motor from GM, shipped anywhere in Canada free, for 5500.00. WTF?!? Engine - GM (12632260)

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, even lordco parts here can get g.m rebuild stuff and is cheaper usually

It's all up to the parts department on what g.p.m they want to make

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Shouldn't the metal shavings and oil go into the filter first then throughout the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the metal shavings and oil go into the filter first then throughout the motor?

Should, sometimes

Metal into the oil pump that's causes oil pump damage before it hits the filter also, oil pump is on the crank nose and not 8 inches away from sucker tube like they used to be

Problem is u never know when the filter is full and bypasses itself

The metal sits in the corners of the pan

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the hex thread...my 5.3 (2010) started rattling like an old John Deere yesterday....change oil today, same. Lifters/cam/rockers I'm pretty sure. Grrrrrr

Sorry to hear, but it is what he's trying to avoid...likes the truck, likes the motor, wants the AFM gone...

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say "we"...you mean GM paid to do a 1/2 assed job under warranty hoping the vehicle would last until the warranty ran out....but it didn't. I'd trust YOU personally to work on my truck, but my opinion of dealers and GM has gotten lower and lower. I don't even know how they can hold a straight face and give some of the quotes they do. And what about the motor job quote....GM tells me (I have the paperwork) the complete engine is 6550.00 plus 18 hr install plus a bit of misc. I google the part number and I can get the SAME motor from GM, shipped anywhere in Canada free, for 5500.00. WTF?!? [url=http://www.gmcanadaparts.ca/oem

At work we have about 500 pick up's, all over North America, mostly Ford's, then GM's, then Dodge, even some Nissan and Toyota's, there is one common issue, in both Canada and The US.....THE DEALER.

The Sales side is good, the service side is crappy, or the service is good for a while that shift's back to crappy, find one you can trust, and they change the manager or the ownership and it all go's to Sh*t.... They need to be constantly monitored....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say "we"...you mean GM paid to do a 1/2 assed job under warranty hoping the vehicle would last until the warranty ran out....but it didn't. I'd trust YOU personally to work on my truck, but my opinion of dealers and GM has gotten lower and lower. I don't even know how they can hold a straight face and give some of the quotes they do. And what about the motor job quote....GM tells me (I have the paperwork) the complete engine is 6550.00 plus 18 hr install plus a bit of misc. I google the part number and I can get the SAME motor from GM, shipped anywhere in Canada free, for 5500.00. WTF?!?
Oh it's just not that, service is binded to do what g.m wants

If they want it patched, we'll then guess what

All warranty for vehicles, bikes, sleds. e.c.t the same

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave...... are they going to be able to disable the AFM for you?
I didn't even ask. I think he's fixing it stock. Will be seeing him tomorrow aft and will inquire. If it goes back stock I am going to put one of those chip gizmos that plug into the ODB II and turn it off.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta say: I liked driving that ol rig. 2000 with 341,000 km and a 6 sp....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck home. Sounds perfect, runs perfect. Much burning oil and AF stinky when stop at lights. Checked fluids at home...all good...no drips on snow. Hopefully just crap burnin off exhaust...

Picture of culprit...#5 exh lifter.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And camshaft likely has nothing left on that lobe. Stupid ass plastic guides. Glad the boys could help you out though.

He says most come in much worse because people drive them. Said my cam was still lobe shaped, just pitted up from the lifter. Minimal shavings. Fingers are crossed. Appreciate the tip, Dude!

Top Bottom