Range AFM Disable - anyone try this?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
v8 ? Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs

I have an issue with my 2010 GM where it shudders lightly every time you get off the throttle and coast, then eaaaaase up to speed again. Replaced u-joints as a first step...no change. My "uneducated gut feeling" was that it was a lockup converter issue, but after some googling, I see there are a few people who experience this and it appears to be the AFM (active fuel management) when it goes into V4 mode. Its slight, but it drives me nuts.
Truck has 90,000km and has had regular synthetic oil changes and 1 all-fluids change at 50,000km....never towed anything heavy, probably only ever seen 100km of gravel...ya, it's babied.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some guys that I used to work with in rocky dave that can program ur truck dave

Gets rid of the trams torque management ect, way better power , mileage ect

If ya want I can give ya his #

sent while I should be drinking tea's

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some guys that I used to work with in rocky dave that can program ur truck dave

Gets rid of the trams torque management ect, way better power , mileage ect

If ya want I can give ya his #

sent while I should be drinking tea's
Nope. I still have warranty. Just want to get rid of AFM.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I mean, they can change how, when ect the afm works also

They are gm techs, they did lots of new trucks

The one guy has a 10 pickup and had it up to 28 mpg... Averaged

Like 10l per 100

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work with a guy who bought a 10 chev 1500 and was looking into deleting the afm on his. its a big job heads have to come off to change the cam and lifters and i believe the valley plate has to be changed as well. But the range chip seems to be a way easier solution.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be as simple as the slip yoke on your driveshaft. pull it out clean and grease.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the wife's GM half ton does the same Dave, I wouldn't refer to it as a clunk but going from 4 to 8 I can feel the hesitation until it kicks the other 4 cyls in. it shows on the little display when it changes from 8 to 4, for the fuel mileage that unit gets a guy can't complain too much I guess....would be cool if you could set it to only kick in on the highway, around town is where I notice it the most

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound like your truck needs to be worked hard for a tank of fuel , hook up a trailer loaded it heavy and work the chit out of your truck for a afternoon

I bet your shudder goes away

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had Blackbear tuning on my 09 gm with afm, they removed that and 75% of the tqm and wow what a truck!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new Tahoe, havent even hit 2000 km.....I've mentioned it to the dealer already.....come to a light and some times I feel a slight shudder, cant see the tach move, but I feel it, have turned off the AC just to make sure it wasnt loading the engine at idle, but no change....it dosent always do it....maybe 60% of the time....

Going to watch the gauge to see if it's shifting when it happens...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new Tahoe, havent even hit 2000 km.....I've mentioned it to the dealer already.....come to a light and some times I feel a slight shudder, cant see the tach move, but I feel it, have turned off the AC just to make sure it wasnt loading the engine at idle, but no change....it dosent always do it....maybe 60% of the time....

Going to watch the gauge to see if it's shifting when it happens...
Make sure u don't have it defrost at all too, it will cycle the a.c also

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update: GM replaced the torque converter. Fixed.

When warranty goes off I may look at a tune. Blackbear the way to go? What's the name of the outfit in Rocky that does it?

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update: GM replaced the torque converter. Fixed.

When warranty goes off I may look at a tune. Blackbear the way to go? What's the name of the outfit in Rocky that does it?
Text me... It's guys that work at the g.m dealer that do it after hours

Top Bottom