GMC O2 sensor failure

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Z71 and twice this year the O2 sensor has failed, what causes the premature failure? Any feedback out there, thanks.
:chevy:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i have a 2003 gmc z71 and twice this year the o2 sensor has failed, what causes the premature failure? Any feedback out there, thanks.

premature failure? Actually it is recomended by bosch and even vehicle manufacturer's to replace oxygen sensors every 80000kms.... Just sayin'

as to why "twice this year"...... Faulty o2 sensor..... What make, or brand did you purchase for it? There also might be a further problem, deeper than just an oxygen sensor, for example a vacuum leak, faulty injector damaging the sensor with too much fuel, etc.... Could be 20 or 30 possible causes, if it's not just a faulty sensor......................... Did you have it diagnose properly?

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peterson Pontiac replaced the Sensor in January, engine light comes on in the truck. Trucks runs rough and spits out black carbon thru the exhaust.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you really should bring it in and have it diagnosed rather that chucking parts at it like summitric said 20 or 30 different possibilities

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summitric/Slomo

Question, when you go to your repair shop and describe the ailments of your auto you would think that a honest facility would do the correct diagnosetics. In this case what would would you ask the repair facility to check?:confused:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
summitric/slomo

question, when you go to your repair shop and describe the ailments of your auto you would think that a honest facility would do the correct diagnosetics. In this case what would would you ask the repair facility to check?:confused:

exactly what it is dooin'.............. Check engine lite is on, and running rough and black smoke.

So in other words, this isn't necessarily the 2nd o2 sensor, you're just guessing it is, at this point???

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly what it is dooin'.............. Check engine lite is on, and running rough and black smoke.

So in other words, this isn't necessarily the 2nd o2 sensor, you're just guessing it is, at this point???

I'm taking an educated guess that it is the sensor as the symptoms are the same as last time.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Z71 and twice this year the O2 sensor has failed, what causes the premature failure? Any feedback out there, thanks.

Go see John at Western Pontiac Buick GMC. He is a great diagnostician and a fellow sled head. He has helped me out a million and one times.

loffelbein88

Reaction score
no were does general motors say to replace O2 sensors every 80K.They are very common to go.even the GM oem ones.If it is another O2 then it should be warranty if its under a year.I work at GM and not to often do i see O2 sensors go out because of a fuel problem.etc.Get is scanned then go from there

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
no were does general motors say to replace o2 sensors every 80k.they are very common to go.even the gm oem ones.if it is another o2 then it should be warranty if its under a year.i work at gm and not to often do i see o2 sensors go out because of a fuel problem.etc.get is scanned then go from there

bosch(who makes most of gm's, if not all of them, oxygen sensors) recomends replacement of oxygen sensors and heated oxygen sensors every 80,000kms as regular maintenance......

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It goes in Thursday to get scanned and diagnosed, if it is the same sensor hopefully the GM Dealership replaces it under warranty.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
it goes in thursday to get scanned and diagnosed, if it is the same sensor hopefully the gm dealership replaces it under warranty.

good luck.... Keep us posted. I doubt it will be the same sensor, but am curious. Just curious what they are going to charge you for the scan and diagnosis??? :)

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will get back to you with the results and pricing for testing they performed.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diagnositics - $172.25, Senser - $167.64 =$339.90 (discounted price). Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 senser, third senser replacement in two years, Dealer said my spark plugs needed replacement causing rich overload of fuel, any feedback?:confused:

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ouch it should have been .5 max diag not 1.3 and .3 to replace,next time come over to nicholson or go see summitric,i have seen o2's cause bank 1 sensor 1 to run so rich it fouled the plugs but not the other way

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ouch it should have been .5 max diag not 1.3 and .3 to replace,next time come over to nicholson or go see summitric,i have seen o2's cause bank 1 sensor 1 to run so rich it fouled the plugs but not the other way

i'm with slomo on that one........you'll probably have double platinum spark plugs in the truck, and theoretically can last 200000kms or more without wearing out, but good maintenance would replace them every 100000kms.
Pricey..........

Top Bottom