GMC Duramax 2500 or 3500

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have ordered a GMC 2500 Duramax due to wanting the best ride. Whats the difference between the two other than heavier springs and load carrying capacity. Have had Fords for ever not much difference between the F250 and F350 other than a bigger block in the back under springs . Not much difference in ride between them.
I am going to install air bags on the 2500 as all i do with it is haul a couple sleds.
People that have had both 2500 and 3500 GMC please comment as i can still change order as not much difference in price. So far the info i have is to go with 2500 as the 3500 is quite abit stiffer.
Thanks in advance.

GRD

Reaction score
I went with 3500 in order to get a higher gvwr (crew cab / short box). I thought and heard from a few people that the 2500 would be pushing the limit with 2 sleds, a sled deck and all the gear. Not sure what the ratings are for long boxes. There are some threads talking about gvwr with sled decks.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the heavier diesel engine may put you over the limit.

With two sleds on my truck, a gasser f250, I am pretty darned close to my GVWR, but I run an overbuilt steel deck and have a winch/bumper on the front.

The 3500 would elminate the second guessing.

eyedoggerz

Reaction score
Love my '11 3500. No TPMS on the 3500. It does ride rougher, but handles much nicer with 1000lbs in back

GRD

Reaction score
Why is there no TPMS on the 3500's?

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only differance is the overload springs on the 3500.Same rear end exactly.Air bags will do you just fine without the stiffer ride when it hits the overloads.I also bought the 2500HD and will add bags if needed.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have did some more digging as well and the only difference between the two if they are diesel is the front brakes are alittle bigger on the 3500 and the rear springs have over loads and higher load rating. No TPMS on the 3500.Everything else is the same.
I always take the over loads out on my Fords as way to rough with them in.
Will stick with the 2500 as not worryed about being over G.V.W with longbox as have never had any trouble to date. Thanks guys for the comments.

Last edited:

eyedoggerz

Reaction score
TPMS is only mandated on GVWR <10,000lbs, my GV is 10,400. The dealership didn't even know. Blew a tire the first week, dealership replaced it but was funny watching the tech trying to re-calibtrate the pressure monitor for the one tire until I told there wasn't one. They may be putting TPMS on 1 tons now, I just know mine didn't have it and 'am glad for that. Cheers

• Thanks
Reactions: GRD

GRD

Reaction score
TPMS is only mandated on GVWR <10,000lbs, my GV is 10,400. The dealership didn't even know. Blew a tire the first week, dealership replaced it but was funny watching the tech trying to re-calibtrate the pressure monitor for the one tire until I told there wasn't one. They may be putting TPMS on 1 tons now, I just know mine didn't have it and 'am glad for that. Cheers

I put new rims and tires on my 2011 3500 a few weeks ago. Told the tire shop to make sure they transfer the TPMS to the new rims. The shop guy was very confused when he couldn't find them, looked very worried.. I was surprised to here that it didn't have them.

Top Bottom