GM Introduces New Duramax Engine

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
New Duramax 6.6L diesel introduced on 2017 Sierra HD and 2017 Silverado HD.
The next-generation Duramax 6.6L V-8 turbo-diesel offered on the 2017 Sierra HD and Silverado HD boasts more horsepower and torque than ever — an SAE-certified 445 horsepower, and 910 lb.-ft of torque, 90 percent of which kicks in at a low 1,550 rpm and sustains it through 2,850 rpm.
Along with a 19 percent increase in max torque over the current Duramax 6.6L, the redesigned turbo-diesel’s performance is quieter and smoother. GM says the new engine’s noise at idle is reduced 38 percent.
“Nearly everything about the Duramax is new, designed to produce more torque at lower rpm and more confidence when trailering or hauling,” said Gary Arvan, chief engineer. “You’ll also notice the refinement improvements the moment you start the engine, and appreciate them as you cruise quietly down the highway — with or without a trailer.”

fd-news-oct-3.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omg, it's a cluster fawk allready, Friggin engineering dip sh!ts

sent while drinking tea's

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow 900ft lbs. I'll keep my 03 duramax a little while longer. See what bugs these bastards will have.

These me new emissions with electronics, add **** fuel nothing new lasts. I have 285,000 trouble free Kms on the 03.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there using an electric assist on the turbo as well to help with low end spool without having to use more fuel to spool. F1 cars use similar technology so definitely on the right track there. Still shy on the power numbers they got some work to do considering Ford has a 500/1000 factory tune that is out there. I really like the look with the new hood just hope one day they ditch square wheel wells.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric assist? Or variable? Didn't think they were different and thought these trucks had that already. Pretty sure my dodge did. All the big trucks have be variable for years.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there using an electric assist on the turbo as well to help with low end spool without having to use more fuel to spool. F1 cars use similar technology so definitely on the right track there. Still shy on the power numbers they got some work to do considering Ford has a 500/1000 factory tune that is out there. I really like the look with the new hood just hope one day they ditch square wheel wells.

I think the big hp is the problem with most of the new engines. Well trying to achieve big numbers while choking them with crap on both intake and exhaust sides while burning twice the amount of fuel.

There that's settled. Talked myself right out of a new ride. Love mine. Great mileage and more than enough power to pull my crap around.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Wow 900ft lbs. I'll keep my 03 duramax a little while longer. See what bugs these bastards will have.

These me new emissions with electronics, add **** fuel nothing new lasts. I have 285,000 trouble free Kms on the 03.

I've got 481000 km's on my 03 Duramax, and never been stuck on the side of the road.

300,000kms on my 02 Dirtymax. The Truck owes me nothing. It's staying Around for a while yet. Want to hit 400,000.
Just put in a new stereo and replace the remote start so can't afford to sell it...lol

Sent from USS Enterprise NCC-1701

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
variable they have been using since 04.5 on the dmax this is an electric assist that they are using best way to get the full features of them is just looking up F1 electric turbo's it uses something similar to this. Ya 100% the emission systems choke them off big time doing mods we don't find much intake side of hold back but definitely exhaust side is nasty! simple egr, dpf removal with a clean tune and these trucks are unreal!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and turbochargers both have significant advantages and drawbacks.Advertisement

Superchargers are driven directly via engine torque and thus offer N/A like throttle response and torque curves (the good ones anyway. ) However, crank torque is precious and using it to power your intake compressor is like using your 401k funds to fund a lucrative investment. Sure, it might work, but you got hit with a huge withdrawal fee on the way out.
Turbochargers on the other hand harvest waste heat energy from the exhaust. There's some price in efficiency plugging up the exhaust like that, but the net effect is overwhelmingly positive. The downside is you need exhaust energy to drive the turbine and thus create more exhaust energy - which results in lag.

Sponsored

Meet the e-turbo. Turbos spend a lot of time dumping excess exhaust overboard to stop from overboosting the engine. Rather than use the wastegate (valve that bypasses the turbo) to do this these turbos turn the bearing section into a generator that harvests this energy and stores it for later use (by holding the shaft RPM constant and absorbing the excess energy trying to spin the turbine faster.) This may or may not be combined with a traditional hybrid vehicle drive system.
What gets exciting is when you reverse the flow. Put your foot down at 1500RPM with one of these and rather than waiting for the whole system to work itself up to a high enough exhaust energy to spool the turbo and develop power - the generator reverses roles and spools the compressor. Your turbocharger briefly turns into an electronic supercharger. This rapidly increases exhaust energy/mass flow and after a second or two exhaust power takes over and the motor becomes a generator again.
Net result? Turbocharger power and efficiency with 0 lag and fuel economy savings. Combine this system with a hybrid drive and prolonged high power operation can harvest serious waste energy from the exhaust that would otherwise be dumped overboard by waste gate and store it in the hybrid system for use as actual wheel torque. This is exciting stuff as this is exactly where most hybrid systems fall flat on their face - during cruise. The ability to actively capture this exhaust heat energy even during steady state operation is a huge boon both on the performance and the efficency fronts.
This is the 21st century version of turbo-compounding and turbo-supercharging all rolled into one.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to take one for a road test when they come in and see how they feel.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder what dodge will bring, my underpowered cummins is only 385.

Last edited:

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does it cost a guy to get the egr, dpf removal and tune done?

variable they have been using since 04.5 on the dmax this is an electric assist that they are using best way to get the full features of them is just looking up F1 electric turbo's it uses something similar to this. Ya 100% the emission systems choke them off big time doing mods we don't find much intake side of hold back but definitely exhaust side is nasty! simple egr, dpf removal with a clean tune and these trucks are unreal!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tune and exhaust is around 1500 to 2k.

What I don't understand is they haven't bumped the towing capacity sh1t all. All this new power and you can't even tow more.... Dodge is 30000lbs and gmc stuck at 23 still... dually 5er.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tune and exhaust is around 1500 to 2k.

What I don't understand is they haven't bumped the towing capacity sh1t all. All this new power and you can't even tow more.... Dodge is 30000lbs and gmc stuck at 23 still... dually 5er.
Cant change the gvw without adding more axels

Top Bottom