Glycol Slab Heat

Quattroman

Reaction score
I have a 40'x40' shop with in floor heat and a 16' ceiling and a big 2-post hoist. We put 4 zones of lines in the floor when the slab was poured. If its any bigger than a standard 2 car garage even a big 'hot water heater' will not be able to keep up when it gets 'Alberta winter' cold. I have a full glycol sytem with nat gas boiler, dual pumps on thermostats and i love it, its the only way to go for bigger spaces. But yes, It was not cheap.

Shop around and do abit of research and you will be able to save yourself quite abit, there are afew options but remember, you get what you pay for.

rgashkei

Reaction score
The $9G isn't that bad. I sell Viessmann Boilers and one for that size of shop would be at least $4,000, my cost. Add in the pumps, expansion tank, manifolds, copper pipe, labor, etc that is a pretty good price.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The $9G isn't that bad. I sell Viessmann Boilers and one for that size of shop would be at least $4,000, my cost. Add in the pumps, expansion tank, manifolds, copper pipe, labor, etc that is a pretty good price.
$4000 is high for a Viessmann Vitodens 100... Just bought one. Would have paid $4000 for it had I not got it wholesale.... I bought a pre-built panel with 2 pumps and controller CHEAP. Expansion tank, auto filler dealeo, 80 gallon indirect water heater, etc. Like I said, I did the research and pieced my system together with the best of the best and saved thousands... It's not rocket science. I hired a plumber to do the actual soldering and thats about it. Works flawlessly. 7k all in.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My full time business is Water Treatment and we service commercial accounts and hydronic heating is a big part of our business. Glycol, corrosion inhibitors, pre-operational cleaners, pot feeders, filtration etc. So if anyone needs help with their water or glycol systems, try me. just saying.

Specified Technical Sales Ltd

Chris

rgashkei

Reaction score
yeah, I was thinking you would need a Vitodens 200 for that size. Looked it up again and the 100 are big enough and half the price.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$4000 is high for a Viessmann Vitodens 100... Just bought one. Would have paid $4000 for it had I not got it wholesale.... I bought a pre-built panel with 2 pumps and controller CHEAP. Expansion tank, auto filler dealeo, 80 gallon indirect water heater, etc. Like I said, I did the research and pieced my system together with the best of the best and saved thousands... It's not rocket science. I hired a plumber to do the actual soldering and thats about it. Works flawlessly. 7k all in.

We would do this, BUT we just don't have the time to do it ourselves. :<

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
We would do this, BUT we just don't have the time to do it ourselves. :<
I hear ya. This took me a day to pick everything up from Calgary, 2 days to mock it up and 2 days with the plumber doing the install. Took me prolly a week on the interweb doing research. My system is a lot more complicated than yours. I'm using multi zoning. Slab heat as well as domestic hot water for my house.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A baxi (used to be laars) has everything in one convenient package. Pumps, temp control, exchanger, expansion tank, auto filler, etc. hook up and go. Get a zone board and prebuilt manifolds from a plumbing supplier and you're done. I have 3k sq ft of living space and a 2 car garage running on this system and it averages 80-100$ monthly to heat in the dead of winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Soooo.... Darcy, wanna do me a solid? LOL

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its funny how that works hey. When you buy materials and break these jobs down by the hour, they really dont cost much, even when paying someone a good wage. We're building a house in the spring and I think Im pretty much going to take the year off to build it because even the local contractors are like this. 20-25k to wire a house......just doesnt make any sense.
Kinda like realtors. Make 10-20-30k+ by looking at the MLS and some minor paperwork ;)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me I don't care for it, too hot to work on, grossly expensive plus u still need some kind of air movement or dehumidifier system. Best $$ I spent was 2" sm under the slab and down footings 4'.
The other bad part about boilers /hot water tanks they eat up a lot of floor space
My mid efficient forced air furnace hangs from the ceiling and all ducting runs along joists out of the way cost maybe $2000 all in, I installed myself. But wayyyy cheaper then lgt systems!!! I just don't see the savings! They say it does but I'll be dead before I ever see it!

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lit the boiler in my shop yesterday. Was somewhat warm inside from the nice weather the day before. Up to 15c in about two hours. 30x40x16h shop. Boiler is a floor unit. Allied Superhot boiler w/2 pumps and slave hot water tank. Not near as nice and clean of a deal as busted2x ^^ but I love it.

Top Bottom