Global Energy Shortage?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all this reclamation is great and all, but who is going to pay the continual water treatment to remove heavy metals like selenium from the runoff water running through the mine waste piles in the Elk Valley for decades if not centuries to come? Is it acceptable to burden the taxpayer with this cost?
Yah, so thats what reclamation means. Teck tests all water ways to assure there is no heavy solids. I am involved heavily with teck and we do remediations to clean up lead and contaminated soils and waterways. Trust me, this is not costing you a dime, but your welcome for everything we supply you with to survive.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah, so thats what reclamation means. Teck tests all water ways to assure there is no heavy solids. I am involved heavily with teck and we do remediations to clean up lead and contaminated soils and waterways. Trust me, this is not costing you a dime, but your welcome for everything we supply you with to survive.

So Teck has money set aside to pay for this for the next 100 years? How about the 100 after that? Or does their liability end when the coal mines closes or they go bankrupt?

What about that $60 million fine Teck was handed in May for polluting waterways? Which if I'm not mistaken was the largest fine of its kind in Canadian history.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all this reclamation is great and all, but who is going to pay the continual water treatment to remove heavy metals like selenium from the runoff water running through the mine waste piles in the Elk Valley for decades if not centuries to come? Is it acceptable to burden the taxpayer with this cost?
9 years ago I did a job for Barrack gold, they were ecstatic because they had just won a court case in New Mexico lowering their commitment on a mine site down from 1 million years to 800,000 years. Seems trivial to us I guess but shows the commitment these big companies have. It is sad when the little guys go under and yes the tax payers are on the hook. The federal government is giving 1billion in contracts to clean up some of these sites in the Yukon and territories.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The selenium levels are rather interesting. IMHO, they are like the COVID numbers. Teck was fined $13M and have spent many millions more correcting the perceived levels. How much real harm is done. I lived in the valley for 20 years and a couple doctors told me my selenium was low. Sure are a lot of healthy old people living in Fernie (downstream of the mines). I do know that the greenies jump on everything they think they can blame the miners for or the loggers. Sort of like Biden blaming Trump for everything he has presumably inherited.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should de-indusrialize? Live in Teepees?

That's not my point, society doesn't exist without coal, oil, gas, etc.

It's a case of short term gain for long term pain, what are the long term consequences we are willing to accept to justify making a profit today?

Oil and gas at present time appears to be reasonably easy to cleanup and reclaim, although Alberta's Orphan well program is grossly underfunded. Coal presents much different and longer term consequences, is it not logical to at least talk about these issues?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not my point, society doesn't exist without coal, oil, gas, etc.

It's a case of short term gain for long term pain, what are the long term consequences we are willing to accept to justify making a profit today?

Oil and gas at present time appears to be reasonably easy to cleanup and reclaim, although Alberta's Orphan well program is grossly underfunded. Coal presents much different and longer term consequences, is it not logical to at least talk about these issues?

I dont know about you, but I like having heat, I think we need copper, I like having steel ext ext ext. Where do you suppose this stuff comes from? Its ok in China just not in Canada?

Not sure what you're getting at here..

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Teck has money set aside to pay for this for the next 100 years? How about the 100 after that? Or does their liability end when the coal mines closes or they go bankrupt?

What about that $60 million fine Teck was handed in May for polluting waterways? Which if I'm not mistaken was the largest fine of its kind in Canadian history.
It’s complicated but if you read teck bought it in 08 with some knowledge of contamination. They have spent billions with a “B”! to Rectify the damage. Good one them right but just take a wild guess where that $60 million fine went.
regardless,the leftys just won’t see the light till the right hand lets go.
I know we’re all bad guys.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines are kinda ugly looking. What can ya do? we need raw materials, and they come out of the earth. Start mining on the moon maybe?

Copper Mnt Minning Princton BC:
1632888193696.png

Lafarge cement plant Exshaw AB:

1632888292884.png

Iron mine Bloom lake Quebec:

1632888347779.png

FT Mac oil sands AB:

1632888417316.png

Aluminum mine Nunavut territory Canada:

1632888584418.png

Cobalt mine Zimbai:

1632888723130.png

Lithium mine:
1632888829217.png

I could go on, but think you get the point...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought lots do, always hearing about how some want to keep the traditional thing going lol...

In all fairness, your average native lives a pretty simple life compared to a big city dweller. The industry is needed to keep the cities going. Is it sustainable?

Well you know what they say about all good things....

Back to the original topic, i cant see not having energy sortages going forward.

Hollanders-wonen-en-werken-in-het-buitenland-New-York-City.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really.
Please do not give the NDP govt any stupidest ideas to follow.
lol
Obviously i was joking, but for every industrial operation on earth, there will be people that want it shut down.

And chances are, about 99.9% of these same people dont live in grass huts or hunt thier own food with wooden spears.

Yes we should strive to make them clean as possible. Sounds like they are doing a good job at the teck mines.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I like exploring old mines. Kinda cool if ya ask me. Find a mine on google earth, then zoom out. It’s a tiny pin head in the grand scheme of things. I’m really hoping the Corbin mine gets opened back to the public when reclamation is done. Be cool to go and check it all out. Kind of like Tent mountain before they reactivated the mine.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9 years ago I did a job for Barrack gold, they were ecstatic because they had just won a court case in New Mexico lowering their commitment on a mine site down from 1 million years to 800,000 years. Seems trivial to us I guess but shows the commitment these big companies have. It is sad when the little guys go under and yes the tax payers are on the hook. The federal government is giving 1billion in contracts to clean up some of these sites in the Yukon and territories.
Eskay Creek? I was up there about 20 years ago, possibly the most beautiful mine in the world, looked more like a resort.

Top Bottom