Global Energy Shortage?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, the reclamation is top notch. Not only in the mountains but also in SE Saskatchewan.
You are 110% correct!
The reclamation in the Ft Mac area is also the best land up there.
I don't think we are supposed to mention that.
How much do those mines put into the communities with labor paid and general community support - look what happened to Tumbler Ridge!
About that much, these towns and peoples lives rely on the mines - not every mountain has coal by the way - it will not be a parking lot in the end.
lol

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The UK shortages are more to do with no drivers able to transport product. After Brexit and no visas for drivers that weren't English it caused problems. Apparently the UK government has back tracked on those laws and are begging to get drivers to come back.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Canadian government and their way of thinking has to go! Along with their stupid ideas of green energy. We have just about the lowest emissions of any energy producing country in the world. We can be self sufficient energy wise and others. plus selling our great, energy products and technologies to other parts of the world. Without importing other countries dirty energy products that have less emission regulations then Canada. That is making the planet greener??? We can trend to greener products and make improvements to the way we recover and utilize fossil fuels.But because most of this energy is produced from the west. The Government does not want to see the west prosper. It’s not about east vs west, it is about what is right for OUR country. The Government and the east need to wake up, pull their heads out of their ass, do what’s right for Canada. Everyone work together and make this country great again! If you want to live off the system EI, etc, so be it. But don’t hold the rest of the country back who want to work and prosper.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, the reclamation is top notch. Not only in the mountains but also in SE Saskatchewan.

There's a big difference between reclamation on flat land were mostly loose material is removed to mine the coal and then replaced, and mining in the mountains where the rock is blasted to bits to access the coal, that heap of rubble will never resemble a mountain again.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Canadian government and their way of thinking has to go! Along with their stupid ideas of green energy. We have just about the lowest emissions of any energy producing country in the world. We can be self sufficient energy wise and others. plus selling our great, energy products and technologies to other parts of the world. Without importing other countries dirty energy products that have less emission regulations then Canada. That is making the planet greener??? We can trend to greener products and make improvements to the way we recover and utilize fossil fuels.But because most of this energy is produced from the west. The Government does not want to see the west prosper. It’s not about east vs west, it is about what is right for OUR country. The Government and the east need to wake up, pull their heads out of their ass, do what’s right for Canada. Everyone work together and make this country great again! If you want to live off the system EI, etc, so be it. But don’t hold the rest of the country back who want to work and prosper.
First you have to find a government that cares about you, second they don’t care about the environment or they wouldn’t import 400,000 people a year.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a big difference between reclamation on flat land were mostly loose material is removed to mine the coal and then replaced, and mining in the mountains where the rock is blasted to bits to access the coal, that heap of rubble will never resemble a mountain again.
Have you ever seen it for yourself?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well, the mountain that is blasted is gone forever....................is that a big deal?
The rubble is used to make another mountain bigger................is that a big deal?
The land that is reclaimable is planted with forest other than that, which is above the tree line.
I was quite impressed with the reclamation in the Elk Valley where 5 big mines were in operation.

Sure helps the government's bottom line and I can't see the "green infrastructure" replacing those funds.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5okolp.jpg

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the only decisions they've made that I agree with.

Mountains are for sledding, quading and hiking. Not for blasting into bits to mine a few million $ worth of coal.
So are you OK with the massive open pit lithium mines around the world (how do they haul that ore??? lol) that are used for green energy battery production.
Like the one in Quebec that Is approved with no environmental regulations?

There is no green energy....... yet.

As for a few million, -sales are over 5 billion a year not a few million - 30 year lifespan on the mine is now 150 billion.

Powdered coal in a cogen plant burns super clean by the way, not nearly the issues of 20 years ago with huge ash issues.
But still not LNG clean.

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's cute, $15 million a day.

I'm so glad you think that's enough money to justify permanently destroying a landscape.
Permanently ???? Have you never seen the reclamation sites on some of the Alberta and BC mines ??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been there done that with government reclamation. Bottom line if it is a NDP government in charge, get out of mining all together it is not worth it.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you provide a link?

I haven't heard Teck Resources getting on their high horse and complaining/challenging anything. A tremendous amount of the BC budget comes from coal and there has been no talk of it not being shipped. The ripple effect would be disastrous; the west coast workers, CP/CN Rail, all the miners in the industry, the service industries, and all the small businesses that the miners spend their big pay cheques at.

Can you provide a link?

I haven't heard Teck Resources getting on their high horse and complaining/challenging anything. A tremendous amount of the BC budget comes from coal and there has been no talk of it not being shipped. The ripple effect would be disastrous; the west coast workers, CP/CN Rail, all the miners in the industry, the service industries, and all the small businesses that the miners spend their big pay cheques at.

There are several others. As for reclamation, my dad had a mine site reclamation company for 20 years. The amount of work that goes in is incredible. Something fulfilling about restoring nature and seeing life come back to the land.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

There are several others. As for reclamation, my dad had a mine site reclamation company for 20 years. The amount of work that goes in is incredible. Something fulfilling about restoring nature and seeing life come back to the land.
The Elk Valley has metallurgical coal for steel making. I realized the big shut down of the thermal coal. Thanks for clarifying what you posted.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all this reclamation is great and all, but who is going to pay the continual water treatment to remove heavy metals like selenium from the runoff water running through the mine waste piles in the Elk Valley for decades if not centuries to come? Is it acceptable to burden the taxpayer with this cost?

Top Bottom