Global Energy Shortage?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eskay Creek? I was up there about 20 years ago, possibly the most beautiful mine in the world, looked more like a resort.
That's where I did the job yes but skeena resources has it now. All the original buildings are gone.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love open pit mines. So neat to look at. Our oil sands mines are cool but nothing compared to those massively deep mountain mines.

And yes coal might be outdated but all these places in the states that switched to alternative sources are having trouble keeping up with the demand that is required that coal use to provide...

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the Rio Tinto Aluminum Smelter in Kitimat. Looks like a great spot for a camp ground.

Less smelting, more camping I say! haha

View attachment 243715
I’m looking at all the old roads, every hillside here has been clear cut logged from bottom to top. You just can’t see it because all the trees grew back…weird.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I’m looking at all the old roads, every hillside here has been clear cut logged from bottom to top. You just can’t see it because all the trees grew back…weird.
The replanting process had been awesome. When I got to the Elk Valley in 2000, I remember riding through new-gen when they were quite young. Didn't take very many years before we couldn't ride through them. The trees grow a foot to a foot and a half a year there. Here in the Shuswap, I am sure they grow 2 feet a year. Replanting is in full progress. I will get a picture of a green house operation out here and there are many greenhouses of trees. It is amazing.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, the mountain that is blasted is gone forever....................is that a big deal?
The rubble is used to make another mountain bigger................is that a big deal?
The land that is reclaimable is planted with forest other than that, which is above the tree line.
I was quite impressed with the reclamation in the Elk Valley where 5 big mines were in operation.

Sure helps the government's bottom line and I can't see the "green infrastructure" replacing those funds.

No sense arguing with that tool, Trudeau showed him a picture on the news and told him coal is bad so he runs with it. According to his argument we should stop paving and making concrete as well, once they blast all that rock out to make concrete there won’t be any mountains left for him apparently…….. he’s an idiot, treat the moron as so.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a tree nursery in Salmon Arm, BC. 9.1 million seedlings a year are produced for commercial tree planters. I have no idea how many similar nurseries like this are scattered throughout BC but as I said above the reclamation process is awesome in the resource industry. There are 18 green houses and as you can see many open air areas. This operation has boggled my mind since coming here two years ago.

Here is a link to the home page of Mt. Ida Nursery: https://mtida.ca

IMG_6736.jpeg
IMG_6734.jpeg
IMG_6736.jpeg

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have one here in proctor About the same size. Not cheap to put a tree in the ground but it’s being done in record numbers…all paid for with forest dollars,just saying.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just listening to a Michael Moore pod cast the other day & he was discussing CO2 levels. The previous world ending crises before co-vid Ha!

He was describing the amount of CO2 gas greenhouses pump in to increase plant growth, there is a number they increase too for best return on investment. Higher than our present CO2 level, suprise...suprise. If they increase CO2 levels beyond that target the plants won't grow that much faster.

I wonder if these nursery's do the same?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a tree nursery in Salmon Arm, BC. 9.1 million seedlings a year are produced for commercial tree planters. I have no idea how many similar nurseries like this are scattered throughout BC but as I said above the reclamation process is awesome in the resource industry. There are 18 green houses and as you can see many open air areas. This operation has boggled my mind since coming here two years ago.

Here is a link to the home page of Mt. Ida Nursery: https://mtida.ca

View attachment 243978View attachment 243979View attachment 243980
266 million tree's replanted in 2017, based on those numbers there should be about 30 nurseries in BC. There are 3 within a 30 minuted drive around here.

Top Bottom