Getting tired of fixing my 5.3 GM

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup it does. Every other time it's happen (about 5 or 6 times now) it's been within 5 min of starting the motor....usually on a rural road close to home. In downtown Calgary this is a nightmare situation.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better get a dodge!

That was how I cured my GM electrical gremlin issues. Between dash clusters going out, truck shutting off on the road, goofy relays that mess up the entire integrated brake controller system, knock sensors that get wet and throw codes, BCM's that have more moody days than someones wife and so on I said enough is enough. lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck with the Electrical on my Dodge... Other than that it's good

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was how I cured my GM electrical gremlin issues. Between dash clusters going out, trucking shutting off on the road, goofy relays that mess up the entire integrated brake controller system, knock sensors that get wet and throw codes, BCM's that have more moody days than someones wife and so on I said enough is enough. lol

Yeah ,my old GM dash was lit up
like a cheap Christmas tree , way to much ....,

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That problem is a well known problem with these gms. There is a a chance you will get a good one in every 3 you order from gm . We see it a lot. Gm will replace it and the autopro should have told you that. Im a autopro as well in calgary and there is software updates and harness issues but there is issues with most of the new vehicles in some bcms or tcms ,doors,tps or tipms. Its a sign of the times. Just a heads up guys.... make sure you know if the shop that ypu use has the knowledge and tools to program and do software updates for your vehicle's
Too many of them are too lazy to learn and buy the tools that the vehicle's need now. You need to program a door switch now. I do programming and diagnosis for 6 different shops now and keep telling them to learn and buy the tools.
Once the vehiclehas a good throttle plate assembly on it will hum along again

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave, sounds like a pita but you should be happy that you don't own a 5.4!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much money are you looking to spend to upgrade

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounding more like a sensor problem, assume it is off warranty? any help looking on gm forums? you more than likely are not the only one experiencing this problem! frustrating .

dro

Reaction score
Did they update ecm? Also a possibility por terminal tension at connector which u should be able to replace terminals or a service connector should be no need for complete harness

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they update ecm? Also a possibility por terminal tension at connector which u should be able to replace terminals or a service connector should be no need for complete harness

Did it again today (was in Calgary yesterday, whew). So started looking at this crap myself finally. The T- body has been replaced; the TPS has been replaced, AND I see today the plug connector has already been replaced. They used the shrink-tube crimp connectors and although these are probably ok for a high- end stereo, soldered connections would be better. I gave the crimps an extra squeeze each and put a real amount of dielectric goop on the plug. See how long this goes.

I think i can see the issue. There are 6 wires (?) to the TPS and they feel like solid core copper. I suspect a flexy strand wire would be better. Next time it codes out on me i am going to solder the new connector...try that.
Tex, what ya think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did it again today (was in Calgary yesterday, whew). So started looking at this crap myself finally. The T- body has been replaced; the TPS has been replaced, AND I see today the plug connector has already been replaced. They used the shrink-tube crimp connectors and although these are probably ok for a high- end stereo, soldered connections would be better. I gave the crimps an extra squeeze each and put a real amount of dielectric goop on the plug. See how long this goes.

I think i can see the issue. There are 6 wires (?) to the TPS and they feel like solid core copper. I suspect a flexy strand wire would be better. Next time it codes out on me i am going to solder the new connector...try that.

not the same problem, but I had similar level of frustration with my 2001 8.1l - would be driving down the road & it would just shut off. No codes to explain the issue. Slam the door and it would start again, other times it was dead. Towed it into Red Deer twice and of course it started as soon as we unhooked from tow truck. Mechanic at the dealership finally agreed to drive it back and forth to work until he found the problem. Pretty sure he didn't believe me at first. Turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. Too bad it took two weeks without a vehicle to get it sorted out.

Really enjoyed the truck before the problem, but issues like that can make you hate a vehicle really fast. Can't enjoy a vehicle when you're always thinking about standing on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck to arrive. Criminal that you can still end up with a P.O.S. for the $$ we have to shell out for a vehicle.

Good luck on trying to get the real problem sorted out.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not the same problem, but I had similar level of frustration with my 2001 8.1l - would be driving down the road & it would just shut off. No codes to explain the issue. Slam the door and it would start again, other times it was dead. Towed it into Red Deer twice and of course it started as soon as we unhooked from tow truck. Mechanic at the dealership finally agreed to drive it back and forth to work until he found the problem. Pretty sure he didn't believe me at first. Turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. Too bad it took two weeks without a vehicle to get it sorted out.

Really enjoyed the truck before the problem, but issues like that can make you hate a vehicle really fast. Can't enjoy a vehicle when you're always thinking about standing on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck to arrive. Criminal that you can still end up with a P.O.S. for the $$ we have to shell out for a vehicle.

Good luck on trying to get the real problem sorted out.
Crank sensors where common on 8.1, stupid place they put them

The sensor would quit when it got hot

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tex, what ya think?

Heat shrink butt connectors are the best, least amount of resistance drop

Now if done wrong then well, lmao

Wires should have been staggered so it's not one big batch

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my 07 5.3. Had my mechanic go through it for half a day. Found gunk buildup in throttle body. Sprayed full of cleaner, let sit for some time before cleaning. That took care of the issue for me.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you forum regulars will remember that since the last batch of "check engine, service stabilitrak, power reduced" issues, I had the infamous GM 5.3 camshaft/lifter fiasco. Nearly 4k later (thanks to Xtreme on the forums here for steering me towards a good shop) which was better than the 6500 bucks GM wanted to fix this known issue and I was back running. Last weekend the old check engine/reduce power thing reared it's head again. ENOUGH. Truck traded in. Never again GM.

Top Bottom