Getting out of a traffic ticket

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have been PM'd on the issue of traffic tickets. I cannot help with any tickets one may have received, but can offer some advice on not getting one. Any ticket given is at the officers discretion. Here is some info you may or may not know regarding traffic stops and what is involved.
1. Upon initiating a traffic stop, an officer may develop a spike in adrenalin, thus raising his awareness and perception.
2. Try and have your vehicle pulled over and completely stopped ( if safe to do so ) within 45 seconds. Any longer may raise suspicion.
3. Turning off the vehicle ( not mandatory ) and putting on your hazards can help relax the stopping officer.
4. Keep all occupant body language to a minimal. ( Don't reach for paperwork etc until requested by officer )
5. The officer WILL ASSESS your sobriety through dialogue, smell and your alertness.
6. Be polite and respectful. ( Most officers will give you the same form of respect and politeness )
7.Don't smoke marijuana. Even the best air freshners will not mask that smell. That can be a grounds for suspicion and a search of your vehicle.
8. YOU were pulled over for a reason. All officers take into account the type of offense, The time of day, Traffic conditions and weather conditions.
9. Your DMV will be run. If you have no warrants or past/unpaid convictions the stopping officer may only issue a warning. This happens frequently to drivers with a relatively clean driving record. Unless of course you are doing MACH CHICKEN on the highway or are reckless/imprudent.
I hope this info can be of some help to anyone who may be pulled over in the future and want to avoid a ticket. The more pleasant the stop for the officer.... The less likelihood of a ticket. ( In my opinion )

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great information.

Thanks

Alberta Beach Doo

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have been PM'd on the issue of traffic tickets. I cannot help with any tickets one may have received, but can offer some advice on not getting one. Any ticket given is at the officers discretion. Here is some info you may or may not know regarding traffic stops and what is involved.
1. Upon initiating a traffic stop, an officer may develop a spike in adrenalin, thus raising his awareness and perception.
2. Try and have your vehicle pulled over and completely stopped ( if safe to do so ) within 45 seconds. Any longer may raise suspicion.
3. Turning off the vehicle ( not mandatory ) and putting on your hazards can help relax the stopping officer.
4. Keep all occupant body language to a minimal. ( Don't reach for paperwork etc until requested by officer )
5. The officer WILL ASSESS your sobriety through dialogue, smell and your alertness.
6. Be polite and respectful. ( Most officers will give you the same form of respect and politeness )
7.Don't smoke marijuana. Even the best air freshners will not mask that smell. That can be a grounds for suspicion and a search of your vehicle.
8. YOU were pulled over for a reason. All officers take into account the type of offense, The time of day, Traffic conditions and weather conditions.
9. Your DMV will be run. If you have no warrants or past/unpaid convictions the stopping officer may only issue a warning. This happens frequently to drivers with a relatively clean driving record. Unless of course you are doing MACH CHICKEN on the highway or are reckless/imprudent.
I hope this info can be of some help to anyone who may be pulled over in the future and want to avoid a ticket. The more pleasant the stop for the officer.... The less likelihood of a ticket. ( In my opinion )

Very true. I practice the above all the time. I have even had a warrant out for my arrest and the officer had the pay by date on the ticket moved up a week and let me keep driving. Look Ma, no vagina!!! That was funny Mike!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WOW, people actually PM you on your time "OFF" from the forum asking for advice on getting off on ticket's, instead of taking responsibility for them self and their action's. "PITIFUL" That's what court's are for, if you need to dispute your stupidity....use the proper channel's. OR keep your nose clean.
That's like meeting a doctor at a restaurant and going up to him and asking for medical advise.

The info your giving is common courtesy to any individual, be respectful as a driver and in return you will be respected. Officer's are people just like the rest of us. They are trying to do a job and do not make the law but help enforce it for US, they do make mistakes but like everyone if you make their day easier they will value that and reciprocate back to you.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, people actually PM you on your time "OFF" from the forum asking for advice on getting off on ticket's, instead of taking responsibility for them self and their action's. "PITIFUL" That's what court's are for, if you need to dispute your stupidity....use the proper channel's. OR keep your nose clean.
That's like meeting a doctor at a restaurant and going up to him and asking for medical advise.

The info your giving is common courtesy to any individual, be respectful as a driver and in return you will be respected. Officer's are people just like the rest of us. They are trying to do a job and do not make the law but help enforce it for US, they do make mistakes but like everyone if you make their day easier they will value that and reciprocate back to you.

So much of this I agree with, but the last comment , no way. If you make a mistake, it's jail , suspension or monetary penalty . If they make a mistake, or now called "miss step" , the RCMP internal investigation committee WILL deem the officers behaviour , " was within proper parameters " . No matter what the video shows.
Thats one of their biggest problems lately IMO, they demand respect , but so often proven in video and print, so many of them don't deserve it.
And that's their fault not ours.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RCMP I would guess are like everyone else in life. Vast majority are great but a small percentage are complete dicks.....
so if in fact you are pulled over by one of the latter group, no matter how much you suck up, it's gonna cost you.....

Plain and simple.

Top Bottom