Getting my first sled for ice fishing.

Sevans

Reaction score
hey, my friends and i are looking to get a sled for ice fishing, none of us have owned a sled and we also don't know many people who have. If anyone has suggestions for models or brands i should be focusing on while looking that would be great. Its mostly going to be used to tow a person and a sled with gear on the lake. If you happen to be or know someone in the edmonton area looking to get rid of a sled like this that would be even better but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a Bearcat. It has worked really well.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will get you more information

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
×1 above comments. Look for a long wide track. Also make sure sled has a good (sturdy) bumper hitch.
Fan cooled is a good choice. Not as much umph, but ice fishing is not about speed to begin with. Also cheaper and easier to rebuild/fix and lighter front end. Won't get stuck as quick and easier to dig out.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try and find a Polaris 550 LXT, it’s fan cooled two up seat, electric start and they’re not that expensive, I’ve got one in the IQ chassis and it’s indestructible, trust me, my kids have tried.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
da26f885fd58d5acadf1f712a4cb18a6.jpg

My friend fishes with this one. Air cooled. Storage under seat. Been working great for him.

johnny cash

Reaction score
Try and find a Polaris 550 LXT, it’s fan cooled two up seat, electric start and they’re not that expensive, I’ve got one in the IQ chassis and it’s indestructible, trust me, my kids have tried.
Good choice or the 550 Renegade by BRP, the Bear Cat is a tank, these others units are a lighter and more sporty, the 550 is a good all around sled and can be used for both fishing and touring.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or a Norseman
a09986ee85aaa53d8eb660954b9a795c.jpg

Call Corey at Bos. He can help you out finding something

780 467 7007

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good choice or the 550 Renegade by BRP, the Bear Cat is a tank, these others units are a lighter and more sporty, the 550 is a good all around sled and can be used for both fishing and touring.

hey johnny , where do you use a snowmobile in Memphis?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely fan cooled snowmobile, and you don't want high speeds on the lakes, unless you like flying wing get offs.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely fan cooled snowmobile, and you don't want high speeds on the lakes, unless you like flying wing get offs.

Yes. I rode the bearcat a bit last year.
It’s a nice machine. Worked great ice fishing.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey, my friends and i are looking to get a sled for ice fishing, none of us have owned a sled and we also don't know many people who have. If anyone has suggestions for models or brands i should be focusing on while looking that would be great. Its mostly going to be used to tow a person and a sled with gear on the lake. If you happen to be or know someone in the edmonton area looking to get rid of a sled like this that would be even better but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

What is your price range just in case some one here is selling.
All info on type of sled has been great.
I also would say fan cooled.
Now that you have some choices kijiji has some good deals jut try limit used milage to about max of 1,500km so lots of life left in sled.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I rode the bearcat a bit last year.
It’s a nice machine. Worked great ice fishing.

i have never drove one, although i have seen a few out on job sites, seemed to work well. lots of bravos, and tundras also. none were a speed machine, were relativly easy to move around by hand, seemed to run forever on a gallon of gas, and may need a couple runs on big steep hills. overall fun to ride, just be cautious of riding up to open a gate, have been chest high in snow after jumping off seat. lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the smaller sleds tend to get a premium price though, everyone is looking for them

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have never drove one, although i have seen a few out on job sites, seemed to work well. lots of bravos, and tundras also. none were a speed machine, were relativly easy to move around by hand, seemed to run forever on a gallon of gas, and may need a couple runs on big steep hills. overall fun to ride, just be cautious of riding up to open a gate, have been chest high in snow after jumping off seat. lol
If the snow is chest deep you could ride over the gate because i dont think you are opening it, lol

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy is selling his 2009 154” SkiDoo Tundra. It’s a 550 fan. Has the hitch and big windshield and all that stuff. Had a lot of miles on it but it’s still a decent sled for only about 2g.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the snow is chest deep you could ride over the gate because i dont think you are opening it, lol

you would be wrong, then !

usually only needed to pop the loop and push post down into snow, enough to get sled through! Most jobs had gate access only and stick to the trail. otherwise looked for a hard drift over the fence. bad part was getting back onto the seat! ha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom