Gas can securement ideas

rizzman

Reaction score
I have the Polaris gas can rack for my '12 RMK Pro. The problem is the buckles have broken twice and my gas can has gone flying off. Does anybody have a better system for strapping the can to the Polaris rack? Some kind of strapping system? I swore I saw one the other day that strapped around the can and then over the can in a couple different places. I've had to resort to ratchet straps while on the hill but it was ugly. It worked though.

Someone is going to say Mountain Addiction or the Keg but neither is in the budget for this year after I put my new B&M running boards on. I have to make due with what I have.

Thanks in advance. See ya'll at the sled show!!!!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the polaris rack. I use smaller strap like a snowmobile strap. The ones you pull tight by hand and has the release. I use the cross method, start by going through the handle around the round bar up through the handle back around the same round bar and to the other side and repeat. I'll see if I can take a picture kinda hard to explain. I have never lost my can.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the cat straps, have the mountain addiction dual black cans on now but have a few friends running the cat straps on their pros and they are happy. They're a ratchet and buckle setup, 1800km on my last set til I bent the ratchet somehow

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fortunate enough to have the original vertical escape can that fits snug in the rack I use two or three rubber straps and secure both the can and my snowbunje

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would use the black rubber tarp straps. They hold good and put lots on so that way if you need extras they are there ready to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would use the black rubber tarp straps. They hold good and put lots on so that way if you need extras they are there ready to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, ive used these for years, the black heavy rubber ones bunge chords, use pliers to close the hooks on the rubber so you dont loose the hooks. They are cheap enough to replace when they stretch out and come in a bunch of lengths so you get them tight. i always got them at princess auto.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd just stick with the ratchet straps. Sure they're ugly, but I stopped losing gas cans on my Nytro when I started using them. Sometimes sacrificing appearance for reliability is a good trade.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Polaris gas can rack for my '12 RMK Pro. The problem is the buckles have broken twice and my gas can has gone flying off. Does anybody have a better system for strapping the can to the Polaris rack? Some kind of strapping system? I swore I saw one the other day that strapped around the can and then over the can in a couple different places. I've had to resort to ratchet straps while on the hill but it was ugly. It worked though.

Someone is going to say Mountain Addiction or the Keg but neither is in the budget for this year after I put my new B&M running boards on. I have to make due with what I have.

Thanks in advance. See ya'll at the sled show!!!!

There is a strap that goes over the filler neck and straddles the handle, googled it but couldnt find the one I wanted but if you google "snowmobile gas can strap" the ski doo one shows up and its sort of like that one but fits most standard wedco and other 5 gal cans.

One thing I use a lot of is seatbelts (from expired baby car seats are great) for tie down stuff. Go to local wrecker and get a buckle and a belt, bolt buckle to one side of rack, bolt strap to other side, go through the handle and clip, then pull belt tight and cinch that mofo down. If you go around the handle on each end (like this) Polaris RZR Fuel Can Mount Strap 7081248 At Parker Yamaha Com I would think that jerry can will stay put.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 2- 5L Scepter Gas jugs that makes a real tight fit in the rack. Then I use one rubber tie tie down to hold 'em. I have taken on the 30kms of bad whoops from Renshaw, couple tumbles climbing hills and jumping drifts and ditch banging and those gas cans have never come out. In fact they are a real pain in the butt to get out when you want them if they have been shook up. I would show a pic if I was close to my sled.
Good luck!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Black rubber tarp straps for me. cheap, easy to use, hold better than bunjie cords, and can be used for other gear when needed.
You know when it's stretched tight, it won't come loose. Other straps (except for ratchet) seem like they're tight but once you start bouncing down the trail, there goes your stuff.
Replace the hooks with biners and it's even harder to knock them loose.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a E tech and forget the can
X2, used mine one day in 2700 km last year... And it was when it break in mode

Undecided if I should still bring it just in case one of my non etech buddies need gas and I can sell it for on the hill cash price

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The self-retracting ratchet straps from princess auto or Canadian Tire haven't let me down yet. Just have to be careful to keep them clean and thaw them out at night.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mountain addiction is the way to go!! when I get stuck I can use the can handle to lift the sled. super solid setup. The only complaint is that it took a while to get the rails to fit the cans at first..

rizzman

Reaction score
My neighbour has the Mountain Addiction setup. Its a super solid set up although once the gas cans are in there, it's nearly impossible to get them out. At least they won't fall out haha.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbour has the Mountain Addiction setup. Its a super solid set up although once the gas cans are in there, it's nearly impossible to get them out. At least they won't fall out haha.

needs some wd 40 thats all.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Undecided if I should still bring it just in case one of my non etech buddies need gas and I can sell it for on the hill cash price

yah..... i have found since we have gone to pros and e tecs no one uses spare fuel. P teks, 1000cc cats and carb sleds needed fuel all the time.

i got the one can half bag mountain addiction just "incase" but ill never need it unless its a long trail like salmon lake or bear tooth lake or whatever its called in Montana.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear this so much and even my saleseman told me I would never need a can. The etechs are better on fuel for average snow conditions but I think they are just marginally better when you are to the bar all day. I had 4 days last year where I burnt my full tank and linq tank by 2:00 and got to the trailer on fumes. Sheet, one of those days I bought an extra 15l at the cabin an still burnt it all. Granted these were 4 epic days of havin er to the bar all day. Just sayin bring that fuel cuz you drove all the way out west and up 27km of woops to shred..... you dont want to end an epic day early just cuz u didnt bring fuel.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear this so much and even my saleseman told me I would never need a can. The etechs are better on fuel for average snow conditions but I think they are just marginally better when you are to the bar all day. I had 4 days last year where I burnt my full tank and linq tank by 2:00 and got to the trailer on fumes. Sheet, one of those days I bought an extra 15l at the cabin an still burnt it all. Granted these were 4 epic days of havin er to the bar all day. Just sayin bring that fuel cuz you drove all the way out west and up 27km of woops to shred..... you dont want to end an epic day early just cuz u didnt bring fuel.
True, biggest thing I do is clicker one up and down to area... Kuster proved to me that leaving it on clicker one makes 30-50 km more out of the tank because of fuel mapping, also don't get the mid bog on trail from raves opening

I put quick clickers in and never used them till the spring time when kuster showed me

30 plus km is the 10 l can

Top Bottom