Garmin Oiltracks Software

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can anybody help me get this stuff cheaper than 500 bucks,there are two versions of this im told,one is $200 and one is $500,there are considerable advantages to to more costly one but wow thats a bit of money Im way to cheap to spend.I dont know a lot about it but got a quick look at what it can do and its amazing and would be a huge asset to me for my work.Gives you lease locations as well as the radio channels which I use everyday.
If you can help me I would be very gratefull.
catmando!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help me get this stuff cheaper than 500 bucks,there are two versions of this im told,one is $200 and one is $500,there are considerable advantages to to more costly one but wow thats a bit of money Im way to cheap to spend.I dont know a lot about it but got a quick look at what it can do and its amazing and would be a huge asset to me for my work.Gives you lease locations as well as the radio channels which I use everyday.
If you can help me I would be very gratefull.
catmando!
I have the $200 version and am very happy with it. It provides the ability to search LSDs as well as quite a few right of way plans and plant sites are on it too. I know Maptown in Calgary carries it, I think they have a sister store in Edmonton too. If not here's a link to a site I was able to find it on.

Good Luck!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I use it too...very basic version of some of the better software like Patchworks, but that one is over 2k!!

I too use the cheap version. Actually some of the guys and I went together and we just copy the cards. They say you cant copy it, but it took about 3 minutes. Works best on the cheaper models like the 255 and 265, I have a 1390 and it doenst function so well on that one. Worth the money for sure

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am quite sure that Patchworks is in the $500-$600 range. The people that developed Patchworks have 2 GPS and accessories stores in Grande Prairie.
It is expensive but Patchworks is the cooler of the two programs.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the information,it was patchworks that a guy showed me and it is pretty cool as it shows the lease roads and tells you what channel to use as well as you can search LSD's,I would like to know the main differances and the extra stuff over and above the cheaper version,may have to get the less expensive one.
catmando!

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know when I was looking, Patchworks has more detailed info about wells.
It has info about the depth of a well. and if it is directional,it will show what direction,azimuth ? the well is heading.
It also has pipelines, goat trails and chicken crossings.

I just wish these programs would be transferable or able to be copied for multiple gps units.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information,it was patchworks that a guy showed me and it is pretty cool as it shows the lease roads and tells you what channel to use as well as you can search LSD's,I would like to know the main differances and the extra stuff over and above the cheaper version,may have to get the less expensive one.
catmando!
I can set you up with oiltrax NT for your garmin nuvi, it's not nearly as awesome as patchmap but it will let you route to LSD's. just need a 2 gig SD card that fits your nuvi, and your nuvi's 10 digit serial number and I can burn it onto the card for you.

the patchmap guy tried telling me there's no way to copy their cards either....but it's possible. it has a ton of features including "approaching hill" warnings and all kinds of neato stuff. I'll get my hands on a patchmap card one day.....:d

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Discovery GPS 6005 Gateway nw is where I picked up a copy of oiltracs nt today for $160. This is the only one I've used and it works good. It don't matter what program your using, if your working in the Completions end of things the roads are never on the unit so you still have to know how to do your LSD math :) all though having the radio channels would be good.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can set you up with oiltrax NT for your garmin nuvi, it's not nearly as awesome as patchmap but it will let you route to LSD's. just need a 2 gig SD card that fits your nuvi, and your nuvi's 10 digit serial number and I can burn it onto the card for you.

the patchmap guy tried telling me there's no way to copy their cards either....but it's possible. it has a ton of features including "approaching hill" warnings and all kinds of neato stuff. I'll get my hands on a patchmap card one day.....:d

Thank you,I will get the sd card and find out what the serial number on my nuvi is and get back to you soon.Then we can meet and I can buy you a couple beers!
Thanks catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Discovery GPS 6005 Gateway nw is where I picked up a copy of oiltracs nt today for $160. This is the only one I've used and it works good. It don't matter what program your using, if your working in the Completions end of things the roads are never on the unit so you still have to know how to do your LSD math :) all though having the radio channels would be good.

Thanks for the info Darcy,I do lsd math every day and it would be nice to have the goat paths cause I think I been on more than my share in the last couple months,were getting busier by the day and doing a lot of bush work at night,dosnt take a lot to get turned around in some of those bush roads at night in a snow storm,looking forward to having these maps in my gps.
catmando!

belch22

Reaction score
That is the easiest, cheapest way to do it. I have the Oiltracks software and you can't go wrong with it. Would be easy to copy it onto a 2GB SD card. By far the easiest way to find your LSD!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Teeroy............I got the card out of my handheld gps and the seriel number and model wrote down and ready when you are!
Let me know as Im off for the next 6 days !
thanks again!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Teeroy............I got the card out of my handheld gps and the seriel number and model wrote down and ready when you are!
Let me know as Im off for the next 6 days !
thanks again!
what kind of garmin is it? it will only work on NT supported gps units like a nuvi, is that what you want it for?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just tried out the Oiltraks card a month ago in my Nuvi, and as far as LSD locating it seemed to be OK. For roads, pipelines, etc it doesn't come close to Patch Map. I wasn't happy with Oiltraks for what I wanted it for so I returned it and will be going with Patch Map.:beer::beer:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what kind of garmin is it? it will only work on NT supported gps units like a nuvi, is that what you want it for?

Mine is a nuvi 255...(garmin) It has the mini card ,I poped in a big one I think its 8 gig!
Let me know if this will workj.
catmando!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a nuvi 255...(garmin) It has the mini card ,I poped in a big one I think its 8 gig!
Let me know if this will workj.
catmando!
yep, it works great on the 255. I'll walk you through the unit ID process: turn on your 255 and on the main page where it says "where to" and "view map", push the "tools" button in the lower right corner.

on the next page hit the "settings" button, and on the next page hit "system".

on the "system" page, in the lower center part of the screen, push the "about" button, on that page it will give you a "unit ID", this is the ten digit number I need to generate an unlock code for your specific device.

you only need 2 gigs for oiltrax, keep your 8 gig card for your camera or other device if you want, or I can put it on there. I'll pm you my addy, drop it in the mail and fire it off to me, I will burn the program onto the card and it should be good to go....:beer:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Mine is a 255W and didnt need to unlock at all. Not sure if this is a new feature or not, just thought I would mention. I burned to the card then I switch between the Oiltrax map and the Garmin map, I can select either.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 255W and didnt need to unlock at all. Not sure if this is a new feature or not, just thought I would mention. I burned to the card then I switch between the Oiltrax map and the Garmin map, I can select either.
it depends if the program you got was from the oiltrax cd or copied off a card. when you buy the card, it is unlocked to your specific device and cannot be swapped into another nuvi. the cd can be put on any card, to work with any NT supported device.

the card I will burn for Lyle will only work on his nuvi, he will be able to switch maps as well. when you are using the oiltrax map, it will not let you route to cities or towns unless you switch to the garmin basemap.

edit: it will route to cities or towns with the oiltrax, but you will have to pan the map to find your destination as the search function will not work, just says "no matches found"

Top Bottom