Garman elite helmet cam or go pro???

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred - like to hear more on your thoughts about the Garmin. I have been researching these extensively. I have a GoPro but they never work in the cold. Contours seem to be good but since they are toast that's not an option. AS15 looks good but from what I can see the recommended temperature us above 0 degC. Does anyone use a Drift? Used on summer but not winter. Will it work or is it like the GoPro?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a comparison of the gopro hd-3 versus garmans vibr elite... I think i picked the right one

Garmin VIRB vs. GoPro HD3+ - YouTube
from what I can see in that vid, the go pro has the better quality image. you can see the digital distortion in the video on the left, like the video is warping, see it on a lot of lower quality cams where it cannot process the image fast enough. it will be worse on a less solid mount

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use a Drift? Used on summer but not winter. Will it work or is it like the GoPro?

I do. Works really well. Of course it always depends on what you mean by cold. Below -10 I stay home, and I always keep it in a pocket inside my coat until I'm ready to use it. Video quality is far superior to the Contour I used to have.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do. Works really well. Of course it always depends on what you mean by cold. Below -10 I stay home, and I always keep it in a pocket inside my coat until I'm ready to use it. Video quality is far superior to the Contour I used to have.
same for me, the drift ghost is a great cam. I pack a second battery, more than enough to leave it recording all day in the cold if you choose loop/tag mode.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far no sled videos, maybe latter in the week... But did some sporting events and its picture looks good,, more than anything i liked my old contour, but was hoping for a camera that would show better pictures of the incline or decline of the terrain...

That why its neat to have speed and elevation

Top Bottom