Garage Heaters....what to get?

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have an attached garage in which I want purchase a good garage heater for, I have 220 ran into the garage already from the breaker. The garage is insultaed/drywalled.

Whats everyone else have/using, I need to heat about 450ish sq feet, 21x21 garage, not that big, I see Princes Auto has some..??...I dont need to keep that garage at 20* all the time, just want to keep it around 10* all winter, I can always turn it up If I need to do something in the garage.....kind of would like to mount it to the ceiling, I have a nice space picked out for it already.....

any tips???:beer::beer: dont want to freeze while drinking beer in my favorite place this winter :beer::beer:

Thanks

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My father in law has the one from princess auto and it works good. Not a bad price either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly i just came from princess auto and it seemed everyone had one in their cart..the guy in front of me in line had 1 too..i didnt have time to price check one tho..some wicked sale on today!..black friday

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They work good. I got one and haven't had a problem. Just turn it on 10min before you go to work in there and it's warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdvross

Reaction score
I'm sure Princess Auto sells them by the truckload but what you never see is the chimney kit that you need.I bought the furnace and chimney at the coop here in Saskatoon but when got quotes to get it installed it was so expensive because of the stupid codes around here it wasn't worth it.So i sold it for half of what i paid for it . Just something to be aware of on an attached garage.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Princess Auto sells them by the truckload but what you never see is the chimney kit that you need.I bought the furnace and chimney at the coop here in Saskatoon but when got quotes to get it installed it was so expensive because of the stupid codes around here it wasn't worth it.So i sold it for half of what i paid for it . Just something to be aware of on an attached garage.

You need a chimney kit for kerosene heater? can't see it, provided its just a floor model. There at ctire for $265 75,000 BTU, good to 1200 sqf, so it says online.

gdvross

Reaction score
Oh pardon me, I forgot to mention mine was the Mister Heater natural gas furnace.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only one's I would use are the calcana radiant tubes, yes more money but way cheaper to run and better resale, last for long time. Try and get somebody to install somebody else heaters and will charge extra and ne warranty. Just my two sents.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how safe the kerosene heaters are?

A kerosene heater will kill you. By the time it's warm enough to remove your coat, you'll be sick to your stomach from the fumes. They're insanely loud too. I bought a 75,000 btu Reznor forced air, complete with chimney and thermostat for $1000 tax in. I installed it myself...took all day to run the gas line, cut the chimney through the wall, hang the heater, etc. My garage is almost 1200 sq/ft, I keep it around 10*. When I want to warm it up, it only takes about 15 minutes to hit 16*.

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the Reznor you can get something cheap at princess auto but like anything else you really get what you pay for

Sent from my iPhone

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only one's I would use are the calcana radiant tubes, yes more money but way cheaper to run and better resale, last for long time. Try and get somebody to install somebody else heaters and will charge extra and ne warranty. Just my two sents.

I've recently been looking as well and was leaning towards these units. Glad to hear others recommend them too!

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tube heaters are really nice in the fact that you have the nice heat radiating down on ya if it's running. The one thing you have to look out for is clearance issues. You need around 6' of clearance so if you on have an 8' or even 9' garage wall there not gonna work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put my old 100 k btu furnace from my house in my garage ran 16ft of duct along the front under my hanging shelf and built a stand out of angle iron about 20"tall so that the burner is about 40" off the floor I keep it at about 5 degrees and turn it up when I want to work in there only maybe added $20 month in ng bill but it is well insulated. R20 walls and r40 roof and T16 16x9 door

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

x2 wouldnt go with anything but if gas is easily accesable

jayson

Reaction score
Don't buy a cheap unit heater because you'll never get parts for it and they are cheap for a reason. Reznor's are good and parts easily available

SNAFU

Reaction score
My attached garage will stay about 5C through the winter with no heat on so I decided that I would just get a little 4800W 220V construction heater and plug it in an hour before before going out to work and it will heat the garage up to 15C. I also have a 1500W radiant patio heater mounted above my work bench that keeps it very warm in front of the bench. This set-up works great for me but might not suit your needs if you need to keep your temperature at 10C all the time.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A kerosene heater will kill you. By the time it's warm enough to remove your coat, you'll be sick to your stomach from the fumes. They're insanely loud too. I bought a 75,000 btu Reznor forced air, complete with chimney and thermostat for $1000 tax in. I installed it myself...took all day to run the gas line, cut the chimney through the wall, hang the heater, etc. My garage is almost 1200 sq/ft, I keep it around 10*. When I want to warm it up, it only takes about 15 minutes to hit 16*.
Very true. I have been in new housing where guys are using the kerosene heaters and within 10 minutes felt sick. Over time the kerosene will also leave an oily film on everything.

Top Bottom