G4 oil consumption..loves her oil

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least with all the oil these things are using, the bottom ends are not failing. Providing that Diesel engine reliability similar to Cummins, Caterpillar, or John Deere.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least with all the oil these things are using, the bottom ends are not failing. Providing that Diesel engine reliability similar to Cummins, Caterpillar, or John Deere.

You would think, but sounds like more and more of these engines popping. Lower rod bearings from what I have read. One guys entire group is down because of this. 4 sleds. Im guessing the over oiling is deliberate to bandaid a known issue.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crank bearings are directly oiled, would more oil even make a difference?? I don't think so..

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think, but sounds like more and more of these engines popping. Lower rod bearings from what I have read. One guys entire group is down because of this. 4 sleds. Im guessing the over oiling is deliberate to bandaid a known issue.

Which guy? All 4 sleds? Come on.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which guy? All 4 sleds? Come on.

Guys name is Denver Debes. Has posted a bunch on the 850 owners group on facebook. Not saying Ive seen anything first hand, but have read it directly from him. Says his entire riding group is waiting on new engines. Take it for what its worth.

Hes the guy that has the video of frying an egg on his secondary.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They been pretty popular as well with the Revy choppers, one fpcompany told baker he was going to send brp a dividend check for all the work they got them..

Stoped by the rental shop last week and they had one with a seized crank, another a month before, said one local guy on third motor..our local dealer just got one with a broken piston skirt..

but there is a sh1tload of 850s on the hills.. Compared to other sleds, so this could be possible

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys name is Denver Debes. Has posted a bunch on the 850 owners group on facebook. Not saying Ive seen anything first hand, but have read it directly from him. Says his entire riding group is waiting on new engines. Take it for what its worth.

Hes the guy that has the video of frying an egg on his secondary.

Was that his rant Dean?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was that his rant Dean?
No this is a different group outta the states.

833b7d077eda558df5ec8b75f46d0d62.jpg
9738f5cfc3057e7d95e4ed3c495dd2c4.jpg

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that Doo just put a really small oil tank in the 850? That would explain a lot of this.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They been pretty popular as well with the Revy choppers, one fpcompany told baker he was going to send brp a dividend check for all the work they got them..

Stoped by the rental shop last week and they had one with a seized crank, another a month before, said one local guy on third motor..our local dealer just got one with a broken piston skirt..

but there is a sh1tload of 850s on the hills.. Compared to other sleds, so this could be possible
Did the pilot tell him this when he flew Bakers Nytro out after the motor went on it?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that Doo just put a really small oil tank in the 850? That would explain a lot of this.
Fuel tank is smallerish
36 L 850
43 L Axys
44 L 18 Cat

Oil tank on the 850 is 3.4L.
2018 cat is 3.4L.
Axys doesn't say.

So the 850 is getting 10.6:1 fuel to oil right now...................

100 tanks of fuel would take 340l of oil.
340l = 89.8 USG
89.8 USG x $45/USG
= $4041 in oil

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, no he never mentioned that, said he went to fill propane, and meet the pilot... Makes sense now thou..

As as far as fuel goes, I have seen a 18 cat run out of fuel a few weeks back when the doo used 34 litres only, driven similar

Did the pilot tell him this when he flew Bakers Nytro out after the motor went on it?

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, no he never mentioned that, said he when to fill propane, and meet the pilot... Makes sense now thou..

As as far as fuel goes, I have seen a 18 car run out of fuel a few weeks back when the doo used 34 litres only, driven similar
Cats like fuel.
In the deepest day last week I put 42L in my sled, and burnt the 12 off my tunnel.
147km and I was lead dog breaking trail.

Burnt roughly half a tank of oil, so 1.7l.

54l/1.7l

So

31.8:1

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out last two weekends with bakers stretched 174 cat.. That thing seams to run very well and gets around very well, pretty impressive sled, like the idea how you can make it doo stering with a post change.. thing boosted would be a killer I think..

Cats like fuel.
In the deepest day last week I put 42L in my sled, and burnt the 12 off my tunnel.
147km and I was lead dog breaking trail.

Burnt roughly half a tank of oil, so 1.7l.

54l/1.7l

So

31.8:1

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out last two weekends with bakers stretched 174 cat.. That thing seams to run very well and gets around very well, pretty impressive sled, like the idea how you can make it doo stering with a post change.. thing boosted would be a killer I think..
You would probably like it Fred if you could ever bring yourself to own a cat, I had a tough time with the steering for the first 200km, but now I like it. Sled is predictable and get up on the snow real good.

Downside would be you don't need Darrell's skid.lol

If you wanna get a good idea of what the other steering style feels like try a Sidewinder, it will give you a good idea.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the videos I have seen of that new cat it looks damned impressive. Especially the one just posted here somewhere comparing it the the Gen4. I cant seem to find it, but either the guy on the cat is a much better rider or that sled just plain gets after it!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the videos I have seen of that new cat it looks damned impressive. Especially the one just posted here somewhere comparing it the the Gen4. I cant seem to find it, but either the guy on the cat is a much better rider or that sled just plain gets after it!
I was ready to go money down on an 18 850 but BRPcares thread changed my mind.

So I took a shot in the dark on the Cat.
And it has been a really fun sled to ride.

https://youtu.be/nJFg8UYsb88

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the one! Its amazing how much it seems to want to pop right back up on the snow, even when it looks like it might be stuck.

Top Bottom