Fug The C B C

G

Guest1

TORONTO - The famous Hockey Night in Canada theme that has introduced thousands of great games over the years may not be heard again when the puck drops next season.

The agency that represents the song's composer said the CBC will no longer use the familiar hockey anthem.

CBC Sports executive director Scott Moore would not comment on the claim when reached at his Toronto office. The network was expected to issue a release later Thursday.

The licence agreement CBC had with composer Dolores Claman ended with this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, which wrapped up Wednesday night.

John Ciccone, whose company Copyright Music & Visuals controls use of the song, said he was given a deadline until noon Wednesday to reach a new agreement. The CBC sent him an e-mail later in the afternoon telling him they would not renew the contract.

"We looked at it every different way we could," he said. "Whatever it takes, let's try and come up with something."

It cost the public broadcaster about $500 every time it used the theme, but Ciccone doesn't think it came down to an issue of money.

One of the ideas Ciccone said he offered involved maintaining the same contract for two years, then increasing the rates by about 15 per cent, an increase he calls an industry standard.

He says he has yet to hear back from the CBC, but that he would always be open to starting negotiations again.

"We're always here," he said. "They've got our number."

Claman could not be reached for comment but released a statement on the website hockeytheme.com.

"I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada theme after our lengthy history together. I nevertheless respect its right to move in a new direction."

Claman wrote the song in 1968 after it was commissioned by McLaren Advertising. The company was looking for something big, adventurous and brave to go with the broadcast.

Despite going through numerous rearrangements, the jingle has become one of Canada's most recognized tunes.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TORONTO - The famous Hockey Night in Canada theme that has introduced thousands of great games over the years may not be heard again when the puck drops next season.

The agency that represents the song's composer said the CBC will no longer use the familiar hockey anthem.

CBC Sports executive director Scott Moore would not comment on the claim when reached at his Toronto office. The network was expected to issue a release later Thursday.

The licence agreement CBC had with composer Dolores Claman ended with this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, which wrapped up Wednesday night.

John Ciccone, whose company Copyright Music & Visuals controls use of the song, said he was given a deadline until noon Wednesday to reach a new agreement. The CBC sent him an e-mail later in the afternoon telling him they would not renew the contract.

"We looked at it every different way we could," he said. "Whatever it takes, let's try and come up with something."

It cost the public broadcaster about $500 every time it used the theme, but Ciccone doesn't think it came down to an issue of money.

One of the ideas Ciccone said he offered involved maintaining the same contract for two years, then increasing the rates by about 15 per cent, an increase he calls an industry standard.

He says he has yet to hear back from the CBC, but that he would always be open to starting negotiations again.

"We're always here," he said. "They've got our number."

Claman could not be reached for comment but released a statement on the website hockeytheme.com.

"I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada theme after our lengthy history together. I nevertheless respect its right to move in a new direction."

Claman wrote the song in 1968 after it was commissioned by McLaren Advertising. The company was looking for something big, adventurous and brave to go with the broadcast.

Despite going through numerous rearrangements, the jingle has become one of Canada's most recognized tunes.

Heard an interview with the head of CBC sports, he said the first he heard of them dropping the theme was when he read it in the paper this AM.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is gay! Along with the woman that re-did the song they play at roughly 4:30 when they start pregames... not sure what it's called. Kind of sad.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard it's a publicity stunt.

Poor stunt if you ask me. CBC seems to make all sorts of blunders.

I like the idea of Stompin Tom's song!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just loosen the purse strings and negotiate an agreement that will work. I can't even imagine hockey starting without the right music.
I may not be a big hockey fan but some traditions are not meant to be screwed with.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
CTV BOUGHT THE RIGHTS FOR TSN TO BROADCAST THE HOCKEY NITE IN CANADA SONG.... CBC LOOSES AGAIN..... DOOFUS'S...... CTV(TSN): 1, CBC: 0
MORONS RUNNING CBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree....CBC complains they are not taken seriously and are losing viewers....wonder why!!! Another bone head move. To think they just about lost Cherry last year.

Who the heck is running the show over there!!??!!:realmad:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you expect from the Comunist Broadcasting Corp:confused: I am glad CTV picked it up, it makes the CBC look like a bunch of amateurs.

Billy Boy:cool:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I wonder what cherry has to say about it. Wonder if tsn will have caoches table instaed of coaches corner. i hope they leave old kelly behind the mask at cbc

Top Bottom