Fuel question.

sorsy

Reaction score
Hey there I have a bone stock 2013 pro...I have a buddy that has a bone stock 154 XM he runs a mix of 91 and VP not sure what VP it is but anyways. Is there a purpose for doing this or what I thought mixing fuel was just for turbo, supercharger, and nitro applications, oh ya and high compression. Why on a stock sled would you run a mix other than just for that awesome smell of race fuel. I forgot to mention we both have cans but other than that everything else is completely stock. Thanks for the help boys and gals.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there I have a bone stock 2013 pro...I have a buddy that has a bone stock 154 XM he runs a mix of 91 and VP not sure what VP it is but anyways. Is there a purpose for doing this or what I thought mixing fuel was just for turbo, supercharger, and nitro applications, oh ya and high compression. Why on a stock sled would you run a mix other than just for that awesome smell of race fuel. I forgot to mention we both have cans but other than that everything else is completely stock. Thanks for the help boys and gals.
Your bud is chuckin' money in the fire. 91 octane for stock is plenty good enough.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your bud is chuckin' money in the fire. 91 octane for stock is plenty good enough.
No your Buddies smarter than most Ever sense I've started adding a little av to all my sleds problems disappeared the ring turning issue GONE . I have buddies with 04, 07, 08 and a 2011 all with over 9,000 miles on then will original ring's.Are fuel SUCK.Cheers

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No your Buddies smarter than most Ever sense I've started adding a little av to all my sleds problems disappeared the ring turning issue GONE . I have buddies with 04, 07, 08 and a 2011 all with over 9,000 miles on then will original ring's.Are fuel SUCK.Cheers
good call. must be the av gas. lol!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a true stocker, yes he is throwing money away. Higher octane fuel has a higher resistance to detonate. With higher compression engines, you run the risk of detonation with lower octane fuel.

I have friends that run regular in their sleds with no problem. Remember, the higher the elevation, the lower octane you need.

one person I know (and I won't mention names..LOL) truly thinks you get more HP out of higher octane fuel.

One thing with gasoline, sometimes the premium is old, because it never gets sold as fast and has less octane than regular.

And then there are some that just use it because they like the smell.:confused:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a true stocker, yes he is throwing money away. Higher octane fuel has a higher resistance to detonate. With higher compression engines, you run the risk of detonation with lower octane fuel.

I have friends that run regular in their sleds with no problem. Remember, the higher the elevation, the lower octane you need.

one person I know (and I won't mention names..LOL) truly thinks you get more HP out of higher octane fuel.

One thing with gasoline, sometimes the premium is old, because it never gets sold as fast and has less octane than regular.

And then there are some that just use it because they like the smell.:confused:
i honestly believe there is more performance gains in a big monster decal than race gas is a stock engine sled. Keeps the snow from sticking therefore the sled is lighter. HA!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i honestly believe there is more performance gains in a big monster decal than race gas is a stock engine sled. Keeps the snow from sticking therefore the sled is lighter. HA!

There's more to race fuel than higher octane. Burn speed is a big factor and oxygenated fuels too. It depends what fuel he's running. Ultimate 4 makes 5% more horsepower in a stock motor and a huge difference in throttle response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

sorsy

Reaction score
Believe he is 75/25 mix of shell premium and VP C12...not 100% sure...and he does not have any mods done to his other than the can I mentioned before because he stores his sled in my garage.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's more to race fuel than higher octane. Burn speed is a big factor and oxygenated fuels too. It depends what fuel he's running. Ultimate 4 makes 5% more horsepower in a stock motor and a huge difference in throttle response.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a octane rating a fuels resistance to burning? Ie. burn speed

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a octane rating a fuels resistance to burning? Ie. burn speed

Yes it is a resistance to burn, but that means to the point of combustion I.e. Pre ignition. Once it does ignite you get your burn speed. Some fuels release the energy faster than others.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the point i make here is that this is not racing. it's sledding. is the added cost and headache really worth it on a stock powered sled? are you going to be miles up the hill ahead of your buddies because of it? is it really increasing the life span of your engine? i doubt it!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good call. must be the av gas. lol!
You Lol all you want I HAD A 03.5 REV that had over 300 pounds of Nos RAN Threw IT all the way from 30 -100 shot 7900 mile original rings.O ya and it still ran 9.90's @133mph .Are Doo need good fuel.Micro detonation is what are engines do Patato potato I guess But I don't rebuild every 4000 or 5000 km like most.O and Yes I live in the mountains .Cheers

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You Lol all you want I HAD A 03.5 REV that had over 300 pounds of Nos RAN Threw IT all the way from 30 -100 shot 7900 mile original rings.O ya and it still ran 9.90's @133mph .Are Doo need good fuel.Micro detonation is what are engines do Patato potato I guess But I don't rebuild every 4000 or 5000 km like most.O and Yes I live in the mountains .Cheers
so where in this does STOCK come into play. last i checked sleds did not come with 300 lbs of spray. we are talking stock. no power ADDERS.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so where in this does STOCK come into play. last i checked sleds did not come with 300 lbs of spray. we are talking stock. no power ADDERS.
That was are sled 03.5. The 04 when sold had over 7500 miles STOCK AV all it's life His next sled 08 over 7500 miles all stock av all it's life.I'm just saying Doo like a little better fuel the piston problem is more of a ****ty fuel problem in my mind ,and I think the mileage proves it too. Just go with what works for ya.:beer::beer:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your post even means. There was a fuel engineer that posted some results a year or two ago that was very emphatic about using racing fuel in bone stock engines. You actually lose HP rather than gain it. You may THINK you are gaining but it is a fallacy and a dream. His numbers were very conclusive if I recall.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your post even means. There was a fuel engineer that posted some results a year or two ago that was very emphatic about using racing fuel in bone stock engines. You actually lose HP rather than gain it. You may THINK you are gaining but it is a fallacy and a dream. His numbers were very conclusive if I recall.
I'm talking av and not a lot enough to make up for bad fuel we see 1 gallon to 5 in a stocker just a safety net.Most of the sleds that I've rebuilt blew up because of deto.Cheers FYI at best that makes 92.8 if the prem that sat in the tanks for weeks is 91.?:beer:

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VP makes tons of different fuels. Some are intended as replacement for pump premium fuels. Take Motor Sports 109 for example. Here is what VP claims:In engines that can run on pump gas, MS109 is a direct replacement that produces more power than any other unleaded fuel - up to 5% more than premium unleaded. Recommended for applications with up to 25 lbs of boost and naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 15:1. Compared to other unleaded fuels, MS109 offers better detonation protection as well. Or VP 100:Oxygenated with ethanol, this CARB-legal fuel is specifically engineered for high-performance snowmobiles and other powersports. VP100 makes substantially more power than pump gas, although less than VP’s MS103. When unleaded fuel is required, VP100 is a very cost-effective option in terms of performance gained for dollars spent compared to pump gas. Contains no metal compounds and won't harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. Or U4.4 If you’re not bound by fuel rules, this leaded fuel is the best choice for virtually any powersports application, offering the biggest gain vs. cost of any performance part you can buy. The latest generation of our U4-based fuels, U4.4 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas across a wider range of applications than its predecessors.It yields no sticky residue and is more resistant to heat. Designed as a direct, pour-in replacement for pump gas, it will require modest jetting changes, i.e., +2 main jets or +2 pilot jets at most. With its higher octane rating, U4.4 is designed for use in stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications. Or MRX02:Arguably, the best performing fuel for stock and modified two-stroke engines, period! Surpassing MRX01, MRX02 is effective in delivering up to 7% more power than pump gas and any basic non-oxygenated race fuel. This high end fuel blend passes rules for AMA Pro/Am. There is Lots more,, point is VP claims to have fuels that do make more power than pump gas.

Top Bottom