Fuel in McBride

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride mcbride often and use husky diesel and marked premium and have always been good. No issues so far. We don’t bring fuel.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's opinion on this. As for ethanol, thought all premium fuel except husky is ethanol free. But that is beside the point.
Just wanted to know if anyone else today fuelled up there and had issues. Didn't want it to turn into ethanol thread.
Wanted to make sure that was their issue since for us, it's a 9 hour drive.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be blowing up Petro Canada hotline, global news, local news, etc. Petro can should have major issues with this as it tarnishises there name.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go over the store private owner and to Petro Canada. This is a big corporate business that would love to hear issues with their private retail ownership.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell 91 is the only for sure ethanol free. All the others blend ethanol in certain regions and there is no guarantee unless posted at the pump. Ethanol gives octane numbers but unless the motor is designed for it not so good. I’ve worked in this field for 25 years. Running gasoline with ethanol is not good for 2 strokes.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ethanol isn’t hard on the engine, it’s hard on rubber lines and seals that aren’t designed to work with it. Ethanol is an excellent fuel source and has high detention resistance. Any modern engine is engineered to run on 10 percent ethanol or less.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here comes the ethanol BS. I run husky 94 with ethanol in everything. Ton in the car racing scene all using it and more ethanol the better. More power, more timing, more boost, cleaner burning.

ive fueled up at that petro lots. It’s -30 or has been for a extended period of time, condensation has been freezing and forming in tanks all over now. Their tanks could have been low and condensation formed in them.
Storage tanks aren't burried?
Underground tanks - esp fibreglass tanks - don't develop appreciable condensation.
Use regular gas in all sleds, outboards, cars, bikes - can't speak to ethanol. If concerned about water or contamination, buy a funnel with a filter (cant recall the brand name) and use it while filling - cheap insurance.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ethanol isn’t hard on the engine, it’s hard on rubber lines and seals that aren’t designed to work with it. Ethanol is an excellent fuel source and has high detention resistance. Any modern engine is engineered to run on 10 percent ethanol or less.
Funny I just rode the new Polaris 850 for a day and at startup "No Ethanol" flashes across the screen.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use both Husky and Petrocan here never had an issue, you sure its the gas and not the fact there is condensation in the tank.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
d07c4fa31ce940883ea2eca8c9b9442f.jpg

Here is a blurb from a known small engine company that doesn’t recommends it. It’s likely more of an issue in non oil injected 2 strokes but the fact that it attracts water is still an issue in my eyes.

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny I just rode the new Polaris 850 for a day and at startup "No Ethanol" flashes across the screen.
I know on the 800 pro's that they always had two settings. One for ethanol and one for non-ethanol. Think '13 and later it was just a setting on the dash you could change. Prior years were a resistor or something had to be changed?

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on the 800 pro's that they always had two settings. One for ethanol and one for non-ethanol. Think '13 and later it was just a setting on the dash you could change. Prior years were a resistor or something had to be changed?

Yes that is correct. I had an IQ classics sled, was a 600, but same thing it was a resister that you had to make sure the right one was plugged in depending on what fuel you were running. Although I always left it in the non-ethanol setting as I will only run shell 91. We pack fuel with us as it’s cheaper hauling from AB and then we for sure know where our gas came from. It’s a pain sometimes handling Jerry cans but it’s my version of ‘cheap insurance’.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use both Husky and Petrocan here never had an issue, you sure its the gas and not the fact there is condensation in the tank.

They had the sleds fuelled up from home, rode Friday. No issues. Fuelled up Friday night at Petro. Went to Renshaw and never left the staging point. 4 ****ty running sleds.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here comes the ethanol BS. I run husky 94 with ethanol in everything. Ton in the car racing scene all using it and more ethanol the better. More power, more timing, more boost, cleaner burning.

ive fueled up at that petro lots. It’s -30 or has been for a extended period of time, condensation has been freezing and forming in tanks all over now. Their tanks could have been low and condensation formed in them.

Facts are that ethanol draws water way worse than non-ethanol gasoline, not to mention it doesn't play nice with injected 2 stroke oil. I ride mainly in the US and almost every popular off road destination has separate 91 non-ethanol pumps at the gas stations. Yes, ethanol is fine in vehicles or 4 strokes, but for the reasons I've said, it isn't anyone's first choice in a 2 stroke.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good read...Thanks Zal, .I'll be in McBeautiful on Friday, will bring my own sled fuel, as for the truck. I only have 100l tank, will need to fuel for sure before going home....so i guess Husky it is. Staying at the Dirtyman anyway so its easy right across the hwy. i don't remember there being a Shell in McBride but i could be wrong. I usally run petrocan 94 in Harley, Sled and dirtcycles and never had a issue. This will be my first trip in a gas not a diesel truck so well see if i make it home:rolleyes: Hope Petro steps up and accepts fault for ruining that trip.

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never had an issue at either gas station. Like mentioned it could happen to any station im sure. Hopefull you mentioned it to them so they can look into it so it never happens again. crappy deal. thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom