FSR roads and radio's

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That particular road is on private land and through the canyon there is no room for error. The land owner can and does close down a road for various reasons. Morrissey was a prime example. Sledders would not stay off the plowed road. Tembec closed the road. The next step (following the closure) was to bring in the CO's and fine and/or confiscate sleds.

Friggin' sledders!

Sorry....couldn't stop myself! :lol2:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Logging trucks go up empty. Flatbeds can go up loaded. Confusing?

Logging trucks come down loaded. Flatbeds can come down empty. Confusing?

Pick-ups are pick-ups and need to worry about the big rigs.

Up and down; up the mountain to the logging area and down the mountain to the mill. Doesn't really matter whether one is loaded or empty. Up and down seems pretty straight forward to me!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are not always going up empty or down the road loaded, some cross over roads going to different mills it will be the opposite way round. Changing channels. Just stay off if you do not have a clue

SKDeuce

Reaction score
They are not always going up empty or down the road loaded, some cross over roads going to different mills it will be the opposite way round. Changing channels. Just stay off if you do not have a clue

That's why I am here, trying to get a clue. So if I get the urge to travel on one of these roads, is it possible to rent radios in the area? That way they have the local channels programmed and such.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL the old loaded empty discussion.... It has nothing to do if YOU are loaded or empty, it has to do with the way resources travel. as you are going in/up in km, YOU ARE EMPTY, If you are heading out/down in km YOU ARE LOADED. Now we are using a simpler method of up/down, although it could cause more confusion were there is lots of chatter so it is important to state what you are where you are (lodgepole 26km road and km.)and direction of travel. UP DOWN now.

Frankly I dont like the new wording because it can be mixed up if you are cut off talking. Because of this it is even more important then before to follow the 3 second rule when you pick up your radio. (wait for 3 seconds of dead air before talking. some roads have lots of talking around Fernie we are lucky to have very little).
You should understand what the LOADED, EMPTY and the UP DOWN means. Because a loaded low bed may still call empty heading UP/in or loaded coming out/DOWN empty.

I hope thats kind of clear....lol

This is a thread that makes me very happy to see on here as lots of my family works in the bush around here. Thank you all for making an attempt to make their job safer.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then... some of the trucks have hay racks that are getting dragged behind the truck and take up the whole road on the corners they do not follow lines very good. Coming up the hills there is no weight on the truck so they are spinning like crazy trying to make the grades... they have to go like hell or waste time chaining up. So if you meet one of these on the corners in or out your toast anyway. Safest way is follow a truck so you do not need a radio, they know exactly where you are anyway it is just like a grapevine. If you have a radio you know exactly whats coming at you and your going to be completely worn out by the time you get there. no radio life is great, just keep your truck 4 feet from the other trucks bumper

Last edited:

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAVE a radio.... and follow if you feel safer, but please still use a radio. Its a must just like a beacon, probe, shovel.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I am here, trying to get a clue. So if I get the urge to travel on one of these roads, is it possible to rent radios in the area? That way they have the local channels programmed and such.

Most area's will have a place to Rent from.

Simply put, talk to a local or stop and listen to road radio for 10-15min at least before proceeding on rd. This will give you an idea for protocol in that area. Some are like driving downtown Calgary and some like Downtown Elkford. Area activity will Dictate.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They said in school that there is no such thing as a dumb question…and that should be the rule on S&M too (except for obvious trolls).
There is good info in this thread but seems like a bit of confusion even amongst guys that seem to be in the know too.
Maybe this stuff should all be rolled into a Back Country Certification for sledders that you could could get with completing an avy, survival, environmental, safety etc course.

To say that 'if you don't have a clue, stay away' is too egotistical and simplistic to help a guy who is here looking for it. They changed the boaters licence exam away from a format that tried to stop cheating to a format that encouraged learning the core issue of safety. Back country sledding is getting to be way more popular and the industry/participants will probably have to change to meet the challenge. If not the government will mandate it and that would suck...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To say that 'if you don't have a clue, stay away' is too egotistical and simplistic to help a guy who is here looking for it.

Agree. Some of the comments here are totally uncalled for in what should be an informational thread....but pretty typical for this place. :rolleyes:

Pick through the crap though, and there's enough information here to get you going.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My little pee brain finally reminded me it's only 5 minutes from my house. These pics I just took should clear things up. These signs are posted at the bottom of most FSR's, and almost certainly at the bottom of commercially active roads in BC now.

IMG_20140204_170359.jpg
IMG_20140204_170419.jpg
IMG_20140204_170620.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we call every km, just in case someone has a handheld radio, plus it is a safety issue, i like the numberrs up and numbers down calling better than loaded empty, but you have to assume that someone is coming at you without a radio at all times. been there done that. body work later.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC government and Timbec/Canfor are totally different and I would expect different info from each one. I would listen to the operators being Timbec /Canfor. Thats why I think you need to understand the old way and the new and be as clear as you can when you talk over radio, follow signage and make a effort to do it the way that area does it.
If your unsure ask over the radio what they would like... they should rather you have it right and should take the few seconds to explain.

The pics of that side of the sunrise and the signage are great... if every FSR road had that sort of signage and it was respected things would be so much easer. I only ever ride out that way from the Teepee but don't know it all that well. Truly I only ever get that way a few times a year.

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will make concessions for the odd door knob coming in calling all his miles. But you are running the risk of talking over top of a loaded truck which is dangerous for everybody. These truckers are listening and trying to time all their pull outs just right. You being on the road is costing them safety and money. I can see now why they want to close the roads down. If you have to go in, follow and empty and stay off the radio. This advise is for active roads, the rest of the roads that are not active just talk away.
If you have ever tried to "follow an empty" then you know how difficult it can be to keep up, those guys know the roads and also I think they are half nuts to begin with.
The down side of " just talk away" is that the radio frequency may also be in use on an active road close enough that your chatter overrides the actual users.
Use the radio strictly for what it is meant for and do your chattering on some other format.

Top Bottom