Freeride wide to '11 narrow stance ??

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just was able to score a Summit Freeride as my demo for the season, as a customer was unable to take the unit, but....upon opening up the box to PDI it yesterday it is a wide model, I put it together and it's a bit of a beast, the stance is 41.6, which is pretty wide, especially since I love to side hill. Anyhow, I know a guy who owns a 2011 summit who lives out east who wants to trade me the front end(minus the shocks of course)
I was just gonna order the narrow free ride a-arms, tie rods and ball joints, and take off the stock stuff, going from 41.6 to 38 inch stance, but the more narrow( 2011 summit x 36 ish) stance is even more inticing, since I had a 2011 demo for a bit last season and like the narrow stance.
My question is will the summit freeride shocks still work with the ultra narrow stance ? or will they be too long (shafts) ?
And also my 3rd choice would be to go to a 40 inch stance like the old xp and look for a set of stock a-arms off a 08 to present xp or order a set like this in the 40'

What should I do ?

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would ride it like it is to see how I liked it...The older Hillclimb models were about the same stance werent they?

the older hillclimb xrs I think were the same or wider( 42'), I will try it this weekend and see how I like it.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive spent two seasons on the hillclimbs and am now on an 2011 etec 163 and personally I LOVE the narrow stance ! I could rock the hillclimbs and they were very stable on the hills, but the new sled just dances sooooooo dam nice.

I dont think you can keep your long shocks and just get the narrow stuff as I was trying to do the same thing when i had the hillclimb.............

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive spent two seasons on the hillclimbs and am now on an 2011 etec 163 and personally I LOVE the narrow stance ! I could rock the hillclimbs and they were very stable on the hills, but the new sled just dances sooooooo dam nice.

I dont think you can keep your long shocks and just get the narrow stuff as I was trying to do the same thing when i had the hillclimb.............

My BRP tech rep says the shocks on the narrow, and wide Freeride are the same, so I can order the narrow a-arms, tie rods and balljoints and go that way, I'm just looking to spend a little less money as I give the sled back at the end of the year....I think I would be happy with the 08-2010 stance at 40', if anybody out there has upgraded their a-arms on a 2008-2010 and has the stockers laying around let me know if they wish to sell them....

Top Bottom