Free Trade

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Day Need help trying to understand free trade between canada and USA. Went to buy a lawn mower in US. and they could not sell it to me because I am canadian??? Also seen a 2012 summit 163 new for 10K. also told will not sell to me because I am canadian. Seems like corporation run the boarder NOT the goverment. What the simple way to understand this and how it works?? Getting upset in the big differences in $$$ we pay!!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Free trade is like this;
Canadian made products are shipped to the states from the manufacturer and sold to them and the public cheaper than what Canadians pay for the same Canadian made product here in Canada. Oh, and no you can't buy it in the states cause your Canadian and must support the Canadian makers to keep them in business.

Hope this helps, In other words your going to get screwed either way.

Good Day Need help trying to understand free trade between canada and USA. Went to buy a lawn mower in US. and they could not sell it to me because I am canadian??? Also seen a 2012 summit 163 new for 10K. also told will not sell to me because I am canadian. Seems like corporation run the boarder NOT the goverment. What the simple way to understand this and how it works?? Getting upset in the big differences in $$$ we pay!!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Free Trade is a myth!!! Everytime we go into the US to do business with an American company we get charged $10.75US at the border as an entry fee. This makes no flippin sense to me. We are doing business with an American company that employs Americans while there ecomony is in the toilet!!!!

Okay I gotta stop before I really start ranting!!!!!!!!

Jan

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The free part is that you are free to refuse to do business there unless they pick up the $10.75.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you are there for commercial reasons.

Jan

X2 and get screwed every other way, that is why you need to meet a friend from there. So you put into his name and then yes pay to change into your name and still save$$$$$$ and good to go. Now it is a used item. Good luck

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and dont get caught with company brochures as they will charge you for them as well. Had that happen. By the way, there are lots of arguments for and against free trade depending on the product i.e. lumber is a sore subject out here in BC.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
When we go down and do business as often as we do we keep it all above board. All of our US stock is shipped to our US address. We travel down at least once a month to receive. We could get a special permit from the US gov't to go back and forth but it would only be applicable to the truck and trailer and if we ever switched vehicles we would be fubarred because the permit is non-transferrable to another truck. We do our own B3's on the Canadian side which is no big deal now that we know what we are doing and we are good to go.

It's just paying that damn fee that ticks me off. I mean it's not much but everytime we go it adds up and with there ecomony the way it is and that president of there's carrying on about wanting Canadians to come down and spend our money..........okay I gotta quit again!!!!!

Jan

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is ways around everything. Thinking of heading south to buy a new truck, prices to good not to, garbage a truck here is over $50k and it's only $40k there. Either find someone who doesn't care that your canadian and will take care of the paperwork, or get a american address to use.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is an interesting process alright and requires research. Understanding the process is difficult at best.

We bought Michelin tires (made in Canada) in Kalispell, MT at Costco. No problem.
Coming across the border into BC, we had to pay the HST. No problem.

If something is made in Canada, USA, and or Mexico there is no duty (generally speaking). Some items (food stuff) have quantity limits and if you have more than you are allowed, the duty can be outrageous (like 400%). Some items are not allowed across the border (either way).

With regards to buying a sled, it is my understanding that it is a dealer/BRP thing and not a Canada/USA thing. If you have a USA address, there is no problem (depending on the dealer) buying the sled. Bringing it across the border is not a problem other than the paper work (72 hours in advance for Border Services to check it out) and the necessary taxes. Warranty is another ball of wax with it's own problems.

With buying sleds, it is easier and in the long run better to buy locally in Canada. We will continue to keep dealers and full service dealers with our support. The electronic issues with new sleds will only get more complicated as we go forward and that is something that one can't fix in the shop. Not many dealers will bring you into their shop with open arms for an American purchased sled. And that, I can understand!

BirdieO

Reaction score

This is the manufacturer of the lawn mower or sled's way of protecting their Canadian dealers from people cross boarder shopping, it has nothing to do with the North American Free Trade Agreement.
You only pay out big $$ to companies that are DB's and use the excuse of 'importing is expensive'!! In most cases it's not necessary to see the mark-ups that we do but that is a big train and will be very difficult to see any change in it's direction :)

Top Bottom