fox floats

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i just bought a 2009 M8 sno pro. got a question about one of the shocks. the one side is okay but the other side seems like when it sits for a bit and its right at the top it seems like its stuck for a sec then works but is still stiff ( i have not checked pressure yet) could this be because the shock has too much air in it? i do know that it needs to be softer as it is way to stiff

matm8snopro

Reaction score
hey guys, i just bought a 2009 M8 sno pro. got a question about one of the shocks. the one side is okay but the other side seems like when it sits for a bit and its right at the top it seems like its stuck for a sec then works but is still stiff ( i have not checked pressure yet) could this be because the shock has too much air in it? i do know that it needs to be softer as it is way to stiff

I would check the air, but the shocks get a little stiff until you go pounding down the trail. They loosen up as they warm up from use. I talked to a cat mechanic about them and thats normal. you will find that you'll runs different pressures between the front two shocks, you'll feel this one side will be softer then the other once you get out riding, I just add 5 psi to the softer shock to compensate. In the fall, after sitting all summer, it'll take a couple of good bumps to loosen them up. Im not sure why thet get stiff, think it has something to do with the seals??? Hope this helps. I've also heard of guys running dry nitrogen instead of air because of changing altitude, but I've haven't tried it yet.:beer:

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what it does. hopefully will get a pump soon so i can tell the pressures :) thanks

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the bushing that the inner shaft slides in come loose on one of mine. Made it real stiff for a while, then siezed up tight. If the pressures are the same but one is stiffer than the other this may be the problem.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed moyie,

Mine at 3000k were SACKED out, both sagged, one side more than the other. Sent them to Kurt at Nextech for rebuild.

He changed the valving in the front shocks (BEFORE the evol upgrade was available) and did the burandt mod on the skid shocks. Runs much smoother now.

I've decided I need to still change something in the front end. Might go with the evol top mod OR a custom coil spring combo. We'll see this summer.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as soon as i get a pump i will check the pressures. and report back i just thought it was weird how the one side gets stuck at the top then breaks free again but still stiffer than the other side. i think it has too much air in it but will check soon :D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as soon as i get a pump i will check the pressures. and report back i just thought it was weird how the one side gets stuck at the top then breaks free again but still stiffer than the other side. i think it has too much air in it but will check soon :D

I'd bet my paycheck that inner bushing has come loose!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well.....I can't say it's easy. It's a bugger to get the shock apart if the bushing has slipped because it's actually binding against the 2 parts. I had to beat mine apart with a soft faced hammer. Once you get it apart you need to clean the outside surface of the bushing and the surface it sits in very well with some emery, then locktyte the bushing back into place. Don't use regular locktyte thread locker. Gotta use the good retainer stuff....I forget the number. I'll see if I can find an exploded view of the shock to show you what I mean. If you take it to a dealer chances are they'll just tell you you need a new shock.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's try it this way.

Here's a link to a Fox Float manual: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_ATV_Manual.pdf

On page 14 or 15 there is a cross sectional view of the shock. The bushing I'm talking about is #21...they call it an Airsleeve DU. It actually sits in a very shallow groove just behind the back-up wiper inside the air sleeve #7. This groove doesn't really show on the diagram. It's meant to retain the bushing but in my opinion they either didn't make it deep enough or they shouldn't have used a split bushing. When the bushing slips out of the groove in the inward direction it's diameter is reduced just enough to bind the shock. Gotta screw the air sleeve out of the top of the shock and slide it off the bottom....and it'll fight you the whole way if the bushing is binding. Clean it all up really good and glue that sucker back in there and your good to go. Don't just use ordinary locktyte thread locker. I did that the first time and only got 1 season out of it before it came loose again. Use the good stuff.

Any Machinists on here that might know what Locktyte number that is??????

If the air sleeve comes off easy then that's not your problem.

Good luck.:beer::beer:

Last edited:

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Loctite 609 retaining compound, there also a loctite 680 high strength retaining compound, but its used to build up damaged housings. I believe the 609 would be good enough, its also used for the set screws in my clutch weights. Hope this helps:beer:

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent i will look into this always wondered how these things came apart lol so if i go by that thing
1: take shock off/ drain air
2:take body off counterclockwise?
and it will fight me to take it apart?
then it should be all there for me correct?

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Forgot to mention loctite 620, its probably the most common, at least it is at my work I'm gunna take apart my floats too, maybe that bushings screwed in mine too. moyiesledhead, you said you installed the burandt skid shock kit, was it worth the money? I have an extra set of rear shocks for my m8 and i was going the install it this summer...

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure does lol i may just take it to a dealer that treats me really well :D hes an hour away but hes great to deal with :p

Top Bottom