Fort Mac

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought myself a new quad and realize I don't know where to go. Any idea's on good day trips in the Fort Mac area?

125 kms North of Fort Mac is the staging area to the Largest most Northernly Sand Dunes in this part of the World. The area South of the Firebag River is good for Day Rides. If you would like to PM me your e-mail adress I will send you a JEPG map (7-8 pages):eek: of the area to the North up to, and past the 6 Lakes Area.

Bruce. :ranger: 6X6

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ab ranger is right. just got back from a trip up that way. Went into kieth lake. Also if you head out to sapree creek past he air port turn off theres a staging area and you can ride down to the christina river, this trip is a muddy one.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh i forgot got the area north of fort mac is called richardson back country lots of people refer to it as six lakes.

Attachments

• Richardson_Backcountry_Map.jpg
    Richardson_Backcountry_Map.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 253

Sparx

Reaction score
Another good ride is behind Quadra truck in Waterways at the approved staging area. Take the trail out to Saprae creek out on the old rail bed. Fair bit of riding around Saprae as well leading to the Christina River as previously mentioned.

Richardson country can't be beat, it's worth having a quad just for that riding area alone. There's so many miles of riding and pretty much 95% mud free easy clean miles of sand, rolling hills and nice trails to beautiful lakes everywhere.

In winter, you can go just about anywhere your gas tank will take you when things freeze up. Leaving from Tower Road area will take you as far as you could ever want to go since all the beaver ponds and deep swamps are froze over. Many people stage right in town at the Snye as well and it's completely legal and you can ride anywhere from there as well in winter. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

codey525

Reaction score
So what kind of bike did you buy? If you have a 4x4 you have more options. If you have a sport quad then not so much. I was in your postion not long ago. Was new here with a quad. Here around town, there in rotary park near the air port, can unload there and go a few spots, there water ways like was said before, can leave there and go to sapre creek, also a few trails in tower road. Also you can go out toward site. Some pretty good trails out there.

Me and buddie are going out tomorrow around 11ish, if you want to pm your number i will check my inbox before i leave and give you a shout.

Codey

Sparx

Reaction score
The staging area is approx. 1.5-2hrs north of town. Half pavement, half wide gravel road in great shape when it's dry, decent shape when it's wet. Backcountry Mapbooks have all the detail in them for the trails in the area surprisingly.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey dude where exactly is the staging area to get to the dunes?

Put this Position in/on Google Earth. N57.53950 W111.374403 and you will be at the New (2009) staging area. +- 16 km's from the Firebag River Bridge, that is, North East,of this position.

K B4 Y G, Bruce.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doubt you will get an answer on a 2 year old thread

Why Not??? This a great Area to Ride in. I have been working on this riding area on my Mapping Software (computer) since 2007. Made it to the Fire Bag River in 2008 and again in 2009, covered the area from the Fire Bag R South, East & West, to the Old No1 Staging Area. ( Now Gone). Not very many riders go to the area of the McClelland Lake, witch is North of the Fort Hills Area, East of the Winter road. I camped just East of the Old No2 Staging area, (now gone) and went for a ride, East through the bush then South and ended up in the center of the New Fort Hills Complex. WOW is this ever BIG. All the new prefab buildings were still in their wrappings standing on legs, like a Space or a Artic Station ???. There was Lots of activity in 2008 at this location, when I was parked at the Old N01 Staging Area for a week.

K B4 T G, Bruce.

Top Bottom