Fork seals??

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well I went for a rip today on my bike (kx 100) to try out my brand new tires,
And i was Hitting this lil table top that i built when i had me yamha 80. Its not big at all, And when im landing im bottoming my front forks. So im assuming its cause i have broken fork seals. So im thinking of changing them.
Is it a simple task? And could someone Explain to me how its done?:confused::eek:

Thanks, Brad

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fork oil? Is it low? Also the fork oil needs to be changed every few years depending on how much you use it. Is there any adjustments on the forks, maybe they need to be adjusted. Another thing too, some guys keep their bikes tied down all the time and it can make the springs soft over time.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well the seals are broken for sure. Is it a speacel kind of oil??
and also i noticed on the bottom of my forks there is an air valve??
or was that on a pedal bike. Been long time since i checked under there

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, Ya Gotta Doo The Fork Seals.... Forks Come Out Pretty Easy, But You Will Need A Seal Kit And Better Get A Shop Manual To Doo The Fork Seals, And The Proper Type And Amount Of Oil To Recharge The Forks. Lots Of Little Seals, Rings, Lockrings, And Snaprings In Those Forks

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well my dad is prettie good with this stuff
when we rebuilt my moto he didnt use a shop manual
he just took pics step by step as he was taken it apart. Im surprised my bike runs still after all the hours and abuse its tooken :p
im the third owner and the first owner raced it

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year of bkie is it? Or, are the shocks inverted?

You need shock oil and seal kits. Seals can be removed and new ones installed without proper seal drivers, but it is risky. I recommend finding someone with drivers that can provide you with a demonstration.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Almost all dealers have it its called "fork oil" not forking oil but just plain old fork oil. I tried doing my forks on my crf 450 and I didn't have much luck with the little spring that seperates and I didn't have the proper driver so I just ended up taking my forks to my dealer and had him do it for me. My 2 cents.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But im at least 200km away from anydealer, and we hardly travel to town, can i just put fork oil in for a quick fix??

Top Bottom