Foreign works for farms?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay so everyone is out of work and looking for hand outs ?
Students need work and are looking for hand outs as well for tuitions?
Wouldn’t it make more sense to use our own people if we are paying them anyway ?
This is a problem out east as the Mexican workers should be quarantined at our cost for two weeks at the boarder .

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh boy don’t get me started on this one, I agree with you 100%. This also include giving the prison folk something to do like cleaning up Hyw or parks.
I guess our government has given everyone so many human rights now that even if there getting paid we can make them work for it.
what a screwed up mess we’re in.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is crap and totally wrong in so many ways. Our leader has screwed up so many things including this.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor does custom farming and gets kids from Holland over for the summer. He pays them very little and works them very hard. I don’t think our snowflake youth would last 2 days. But I do agree this should be shut down to give the unemployed a job and keep the money in Canada.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The criminals being released from our jails will be looking for work, you can hire them. I wonder if Omar applied for some more free money as well?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread. Frankly, I highly doubt our youth can handle the hard work of farming. Its embarrassing. The goal of the last few generations has been to "give our children a better life". Well, I think we have done too good of a job.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Concern with hiring now out of work Canadians, first they are on ei making in some cases more than they were at real job, who will pull weeds 8 hours a day locals do not have the drive, workers needed through to fall, if waho-flu breaks and local jobs come back locals will drop the farm job in a second leaving farmer stranded. Mexicans picking lettuce are needed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Niner hit the nail on the head. I know a guy from down by Taber that hires foreign workers. He said Canadians will not work the hours or as hard as the Mexicans will sadly. Not even interested in hiring local he said. Nothing but trouble dealing with local workers. Sad state of affairs.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My inlaws live out east and manage a blueberry farm. They cannot get locals to work long/hard enough to get the work done. They bring in 250+ mexicans every year because of this reason. They are in a real hurt right now due to the delay of the mexicans. Locals just dont need the money or dont want it as bad as the mexican folks do. I do not recall what the mexicans get paid (12hr days) but all thier living is covered by the employer while they are here.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My inlaws live out east and manage a blueberry farm. They cannot get locals to work long/hard enough to get the work done. They bring in 250+ mexicans every year because of this reason. They are in a real hurt right now due to the delay of the mexicans. Locals just dont need the money or dont want it as bad as the mexican folks do. I do not recall what the mexicans get paid (12hr days) but all thier living is covered by the employer while they are here.

About 5 clicks on the mouse and the Canadians get $2000 in their bank in 3 days. Mexicans not so much.

I know its a good thought to keep all jobs Canadian, but its also one of our problems with our economy. We all want to buy our blueberry's and lettuce as cheap as possible, Walmart is busy as hell selling Chinese goods, we all want to spend "as wisely" as possible, but at the same time we want $30 an hour minimum and government support. Thats why we no longer have a manufacturing industry. Textiles, automotive, how many factories do we have now?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of you are missing the point I think ? Lol
You have the choice of being placed for work available and getting paid or sit at home with no pay cheque.
I believe a lot of us have had that up bringing ? I know I have and still have .
Anyone can do some of the positions that would be offered .
Let a portion of the foreign works for sure but no reason for this big problem the media is broadcasting . IMO

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of you are missing the point I think ? Lol
You have the choice of being placed for work available and getting paid or sit at home with no pay cheque.
I believe a lot of us have had that up bringing ? I know I have and still have .
Anyone can do some of the positions that would be offered .
Let a portion of the foreign works for sure but no reason for this big problem the media is broadcasting . IMO

I am not familiar with the laws regarding foreign workers, but the first question I have to ask is are they protected by Canadian labor relation laws? Are the costs the same for the farmer if they hire a mexican or canadian?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if there is a farm in a area an someone on unemployment is told about the opportunity, would they loose their unemployment if they say no?

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like every other business sector agriculture has vastly different labour requirements from enterprise to enterprise. For instance a large acre grain farm requires a different skill set and number of employees compared to an indoor vegetable grow op. The point being agriculture is not unique in the fact that sourcing, training and retaining employees is incredibly difficult. My experience being that many multi generational business's struggle even more with this as the owners/operators have worked incredibly hard their entire life and feel that an employee should do the same. My two cents, if you want an employee to act like an owner than you may have to give up some ownership to them. This said not every employee has this desire and some that do are not competent or compatible.

Importing labour is not an easy process. If an employer has the choice between using local or importing, the preference will always be to use local. Will the current state of our economy be enough to encourage a change in the mentality of our work force? Time will tell. My guess is the motivated individuals will continue flourish and rest will continue to flounder. No different than it has always been.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like we need to get these Mexicans into Trudeau seat. Just think they work hard and don’t ask for much. Hell we can get Canada back on its feet without the on going bs were receiving from our government now lol.

Top Bottom