For those who judge

spitfire

Reaction score
Firstly and foremost, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the families who lost loved ones in the the past week. I feel compelled to write this thread after hearing and reading different comments on a variety of public media sources.
For those who chose to publically criticize the character and judgement of those who died tragically without any compassion. SHAME ON YOU. For those who have decided to look at the economics of search and rescue. SHAME ON YOU. For those whose arrogance makes them feel that this is an opportunity to further their enviromental and political agenda. SHAME ON YOU For the rest of us, we will continue to sled with same passion and respect that we always had. For me personally, sledding if more than the color you ride, more than the power a sled has, it simply FREEDOM. FREEDOM to enjoy the beauty and space that the back country offers. FREEDOM to spend time with family and friends. FREEDOM from the clutter, greed and deception that day to day living brings.
To those I rode with the past year, thanks for the memories.

With respect
Mike Jackson

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. I don't like reading about how smart people think they are for not having triggered a slide. How much respect they have for mother nature, riding buddies, S&R teams, wives, children, sledding community, etc. This is not everyones oppertunity to point out to everyone that they are smarter than anyone who has ever triggered a slide and that they can 'ride another day', 'live to talk about it', come home for dinner, and any other cliche garbage that people seem to spout off their keyboard everytime something like this happens.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. I don't like reading about how smart people think they are for not having triggered a slide. How much respect they have for mother nature, riding buddies, S&R teams, wives, children, sledding community, etc. This is not everyones oppertunity to point out to everyone that they are smarter than anyone who has ever triggered a slide and that they can 'ride another day', 'live to talk about it', come home for dinner, and any other cliche garbage that people seem to spout off their keyboard everytime something like this happens.

This is not meant to show disrespect to anyone. I've posted this before but I believe that it's still true. Absolutely everyone that has been caught in an avalanche thought that they were either safer, smarter or luckier than the last guy caught......they were not and you may not be either.

spitfire

Reaction score
Mitch: This thread was not intended to criticize any individual who is trying to provide informative information, that hopefully would prevent further tragedies. My comments are aimed at the arm chair experts who show little or no compassion for the family and friends of the deceased. There are a lot of people who will use the series of tragic events to further promote their enviromental and political agenda at the expense of those who paid the ultimate price.

with respect--Mike Jackson

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of truth to what you have posted.:beer:
I also send prayers and sympathies to the friends and families of all of those who have had to live through the horrific news of the loss of a loved one.

I do however have to "respectfully" ask this question. Why so many deaths this year when everyone knew the risks of avies were so high everywhere? We all have to, listen and understand the reasons for the avalanches occurring, perhaps the mistakes that were made, the successful rescues due to proper equipment and all other aspects of each unfortunate event. If we don't learn from these tragedies then each one of this year's victims died in vain.
The season is not over! Finish it off SAFELY!

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree and posted something similar earlier this year. We can not comment on the actions of others, but be around to support the survivors and freinds and hopefully learn by their actions to prevent similar accidents so their lives were not lost for nothing. I think the biggest concern is that it appears not everyone is learning, athough we never know if the lessons learned have at least saved a few people the same fate and by the comments here I believe some have learned and the number could have been a lot higher this year ( or at least I think so)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just to clarify although I was the one to bring up the economics of the SAR the reason for me brining it up was due to comments posted on the News articles comments section, not that that reflects my personal opinions...
I don't want fellow members to think that I care about the economics of a rescue over peoples well being or would ever attempt to put a price on a human life (whether they be sledding, skiing, or snowboarding of which I participate in all 3) As stated before I have yet to ride the mountains however I am concerned that the opportunity may not be available to me when I determine I am ready and able to attempt.
That said RIP to all the victims, Condolances to all the familys, and these posts have been very educational to me, Have they scared me from ever riding in the mountains?...no, will I aproach the terrain with caution and respect when the time comes?...yes. In fact the wife and I are currently looking at purchasing property in Mcbride because of the Outdoor opportunities...Althought there is much banter and debate on this site about many issues my observation thus far is that Mcbride is home to people who I would consider myself fortunate to call freinds....anyways getting off topic here, Basically my post on the economics of SAR was in response to a question (a valid one at that) and I appologize if anyone thinks I have an uncaring attitude because nothing could be further from the truth.

Cheers, Bogger:beer:

note...yes FAB, I'm aware my grammar sucks

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mitch: This thread was not intended to criticize any individual who is trying to provide informative information, that hopefully would prevent further tragedies. My comments are aimed at the arm chair experts who show little or no compassion for the family and friends of the deceased. There are a lot of people who will use the series of tragic events to further promote their enviromental and political agenda at the expense of those who paid the ultimate price.

with respect--Mike Jackson

"Arm chair experts" - That is a perfect term for some of the idiots that are posting comments in within news websites. Someone who has never sledder before and knits sweaters in their apartment for recreation sure has a strong and misinformed opinion about sledding / sledders and the backcountry.

themadcatter

Reaction score
Coming from the family of Shane and one who was up in McBride this week waiting to get our boys out... Don't stop riding i'm not and McBribe has the best community Spirit and giving i have ever seen .... Thank you Bogger for your post

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Firstly and foremost, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the families who lost loved ones in the the past week. I feel compelled to write this thread after hearing and reading different comments on a variety of public media sources.
For those who chose to publically criticize the character and judgement of those who died tragically without any compassion. SHAME ON YOU. For those who have decided to look at the economics of search and rescue. SHAME ON YOU. For those whose arrogance makes them feel that this is an opportunity to further their enviromental and political agenda. SHAME ON YOU For the rest of us, we will continue to sled with same passion and respect that we always had. For me personally, sledding if more than the color you ride, more than the power a sled has, it simply FREEDOM. FREEDOM to enjoy the beauty and space that the back country offers. FREEDOM to spend time with family and friends. FREEDOM from the clutter, greed and deception that day to day living brings.
To those I rode with the past year, thanks for the memories.

With respect
Mike Jackson

SHAME ON YOU for bashing other people thoughts... welcome to the forum world... right, wrong or clearly insane... everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs... it is what makes the world go round! :beer:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was not really bashing our thoughts...its was more about the bone heads that are commenting on other forums about sledders and how stupid and careless we are. Snow and Mudders need to talk about this so we don't forget and slip up. I know how easy it can happen and I know how easy it is to turn the wrong way and all of a sudden you are on a slope or the edge of a spot that you didn't intend to go down. those little mistakes can happen fast and no matter how careful you are in trouble. I cancelled next weeks trip to Revy because of the possibility of a little mistake that turns costly..

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think people have mistook my post on another thread (namely Foxstar45). I am not tooting my own horn and saying how much smarter I am than anyone else! The point I was trying to get across was that I have a lot of experience in the back country, awareness training and utilize common sense and it seems to have pulled me through the last 20 years of back country travel.
No one can say that going out in high exposure areas and climbing steep terrain is a smart thing to do right now, which at least 2 out of the last 4 deaths are attributed to (one of which I used to coach snowboard racing to back in the day).
I'm not disrespecting anyone...I'm just tired of hearing about people dying...

spitfire

Reaction score
Kevin:I can only repeat again. This thread is not about the S&m people who have posted information that can save lives. It was intended for those who don't sled and have taken the opportunity during tragic times to take cheap shots and those who do.

regard-Mike Jackson

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was ^^^^ waiting to make sure that was the point that you were trying to make.
Knowing that I agree 100%, In the avy fatality that I was involved with, the media made reports and at the end of the day not one of them took the time to ask us, the people that were there, what happened. They reported assumptions and some blah blah blah that they thought was accurate when in reality what they reported was the farthest things from the truth. That experience is what keeps me from really listening to the news for the most part. It showed me that you have all these people looking in making judgments about things that they have no clue about.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you tell the media it is white they will trun it around and spin it to make it look black. I always listen to the news with a huge grain of salt, sad thing is buy the time they report something in error (which is quite often) you have no recourse to correct them or defend yourself.

Britt

Top Bottom