For those of you that carry tampons....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IN YOUR FIRST AID KIT LOL
Interesting read:
Quoted
For all posting to keep tampons or other feminine hygiene products in medical kits or to use on wounds- don't. That is an old myth that just won't seem to go away.

Tampons are not designed to stop bleeding, but rather soak up bleeding. That is the exact opposite of what you want, the intent of dressing a wound is to stop the bleeding by promoting clotting, not to just keep soaking up as much blood as possible. The blood won't be running out of the wound but sucked up in the tampon it isn't helping the body.

Many pads are even worse because they can be treated with an agent that intentionally inhibits clotting because they want the blood to soak in and not clot. That not only doesn't promote clotting but acts in the exact wrong way.

On top of that none of those products are sterile.

People report "good results" but in reality they likely used it on a wound far less serious than they thought and even on a serious wound they probably inhibited clotting and made things worse than a proper dressing would have.

A proper pressure dressing is is under 10 bucks and it will be one that is designed to do the job properly and is sterile.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But seriously that's good info! I only seen them for fire starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doorfx can you explain the proper pressure dressing

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doorfx can you explain the proper pressure dressing

Wiki definition:
A “pressure dressing” consists of a nonadherent bandage applied over the incision that is covered by a bulky, absorbent layer and a stretchable adhesive. Application of a pressure dressing over a wound is intended to compress dead space and prevent hematoma and seroma formation.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Direct pressure, and use a sterile bandage or an Israeli compression bandage. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, your not in a hospital!
Thanks doorfx, didn't know about the napkin as i was under the impression it would also work
Get medical attention asap ,

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4x4 and a roll of kling.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with 007 a wrap of duck tape and a hand full of sphagnum moss. sterile, cheap, whiskey for the medic!

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a St Johns First aid kit. Its not the biggest or the smallest but it does carry the essentials. including said sponges and Kling

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Paper towels and electric tape.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom