For those guys that still don't wear their tether's

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my old rev roll on my back once with the throttle cracked .. a sidehill park job gone wrong ! if I wasn't wearing my tether i'd probably have to buy a new jacket at the least.. or get some skin grafts

a beaner on the tether, and no question !!! i give people i ride with **** if they arent wearing theirs

boggles my mind how some manufacturers don't include a tether from factory

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put an aftermarket tether on my M1000 years ago. Use it 100% of the time.

I leave it clipped to my jacket all day. I unplug it at the sled and let the cord dangle from my jacket, that way I never forget to use it...if I don't plug it back in, I'm not going anywhere.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I could make my own plug to pop into the factory plugs with some blade connectors and heat shrink.
Started the sled last weekend and pulled the tether and it was still running. My connections were loose. I don't know why I did'nt want to snip the factory plug off when I installed it.
It was pretty easy to hard wire everything up and heat shrink it.

I originally used tethers for potential ghost sledding and never even thought about the possibility of injury like that until those videos popped up a few years ago.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put an aftermarket tether on my M1000 years ago. Use it 100% of the time.

I leave it clipped to my jacket all day. I unplug it at the sled and let the cord dangle from my jacket, that way I never forget to use it...if I don't plug it back in, I'm not going anywhere.
Which brand of tether did you use on your M1000? Ever give you grief on the hill?

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which brand of tether did you use on your M1000? Ever give you grief on the hill?

It was a while ago so I'm not sure what the brand was...pretty sure it was plug and play. If I recall there is a two prong connector somewhere in the wiring harness by the handlebar. From a performance point of view, my sled has always turned off when I pulled the plug but it has occasionally not wanted to start or has died when riding. This has always been caused by ice build up and is usually a two second fix. Last weekend it was warm down low and colder up higher...when we got to elevation my sled coughed and died...WTF...reconnected the tether and everything was fine. I believe the water around the edge of the connector froze and pushed the plug out far enough to loose the connection.

Ive never had a problem with the tether at a critical time, although I have accidentally hit the kill switch and gone over the handlebars a few times :)

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with the tether at a critical time, although I have accidentally hit the kill switch and gone over the handlebars a few times :)

Part number 5639-580 About $22.95

Attachments

• killswitch guard.jpg
    killswitch guard.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 284
  • heater switch guards.jpg
    heater switch guards.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 277

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For both pieces, and the superglue :D

Anybody have a 3-D printer? Probably make that part for a Buck or Two.

Nice hardware in your Avatar...have trouble at airport security?

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
but it has occasionally not wanted to start or has died when riding. This has always been caused by ice build up and is usually a two second fix. Last weekend it was warm down low and colder up higher...when we got to elevation my sled coughed and died...WTF...reconnected the tether and everything was fine. I believe the water around the edge of the connector froze and pushed the plug out far enough to loose the connection.

My tether came with a little screw in the middle of it. I'm guessing it is to counteract your issue. You may wanna give that a try.

snowbuster

Reaction score
I started wearing a tether a couple seasons into riding and now it is second nature, feel vulnerable not using one if I am riding a different sled. My riding group hasn't used tethers before, but I think I have convinced them , as their new machines they have ordered with tethers. Now they just need to get used to using them. I have only had a couple of incidents where the tether saved a ghost ride. A stuck throttle, however is a scary situation,and I have witnessed a few times where a "slow mo" rollover could have had a disastrous outcome. It can happen in seconds even with a competent rider. Ride safe and use a tether!

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tip that has me wearing my tether 100% of the time. Leave it attached to you and pull it off the sled when you get off. You can't forget to wear it. :cool:

Top Bottom