Fluids

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of synthetic fluids is everyone running, differental, transmission, motor oil.........Its time to change everything else in my truck and i want full synthetic fluids.

moose1

Reaction score
I use Petro Canada Duron synthetic 5/40w in in the engine, castrol synthetic gear lube 75/90w in the front and rear diffs, Petrocanada Dextron 3 tranny fluid in the transfercase and transmission. I have had good luck with all of them! The Dextron 3 tranny fluid is for the manual transfer case or the electronically shifted transfer case. It is not recommended for the Autotrac trasfercase. BTW in the 2004 Chevy HD Diesel the quantities of fluid are as follows. I think the new one's are the same. Front diff 1.73 liters, Rear diff 2.6-3.0 liters, transfercase 1.4-2.1 liters, transmission with filter 7 liters, and engine with filter is 9.5 liters. Just my two cents!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil here, because it's been a pretty good price. However recently found out royal purple is the same price for engine oil. I am happy with amsoil but I think royal purple is better.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is nice because it has a decent rep and been around for a long time. It is avail in motor oil, tranny fluid, Gear oil, grease and i think they might even have power steering fluid these days. I have been using it for close to 20 years with 1 small complaint. If your put it into a new vehicle too soon the motor uses oil and if you put Mobil into an older vehicle (4-5years old with over 100,000km) that has previously been running conventional oil it has a bad rep for causing leaks.
Its always avail at crappy tire, walmart and one of the major gas station chains who carries the current contract -maybe esso these days.

I know guys will say that some of the newer brands out there are better and maybe they are. Either way making the switch to any synthetic will be beneficial.

Top Bottom