Flooded 670x wheres the fuel coming from

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just dumped my 98 summit 670x over good today and it ran on its side till it stalled out. I didn't land close enough to the sled to shut it off or tip it over fast enough. Pulled it over about a hundred times changed plugs cleaned plugs. Then we noticed with the fuel turned off and the plugs out that there seemed to be an endless supply of fuel in the piston chamber. If we pulled it over the flame would go out. but if we left it burning it seemed to keep getting fuel. any idea where its coming from???
could it have drained into the crank when it was on its side. or could something have happened to the carbs???

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It,s know fact 90s 670 were bad for this I try to remember i think there a drain
plug on the bottom end you can drainthe crack case this way.its real bad
when people haul them on the tailgate of a truck.Even if you were to shut
it off it still will siphon into the crank case .best bet is get fuel shutoff
as fast as you can! I hope this helps

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is very common for the 670
cut in a fuel shut off on the fuel line on the right hand side of the sled. Any time the sled is pointed down hill or not level, the crank will fill up with fuel.
If this happens shut off fuel, pull plugs burn end of plugs with a match and put them back. You might need to put a match close to the plug hole and pull it over slowley. DO NOT HAVE YOUR FACE NEAR THE HOLE LOOKING IN WHEN YOU DO THIS. You can do this to each hole then put the plugs back in and it should start. Even sledding, if you stop facing downhill some had a problem. If you had a fuel shut off you can shut off the fuel and try to start it. Once it starts, let it run a couple of seconds then turn fuel back on

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
Remove plugs, Hold a torch over one of the holes at a time, squeeze throttle, and pull rapidly. This has worked for me in the past. It's a two person job but usually works, don't forget to shut off the fuel supply.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, all of the above.......... You may also have dislodged some crud from the bottom of the float bowls and it may have gotten stuck in the needle/seat.... You may have to pull the carbs apart to clean the needle/seat(but try all the above stuff first)!!!!!

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick replys. It sounds like that is probably the problem. Will the crank be ok is there anything i need to do to the bottom end. is the crank lubricated with grease or does it get oil from the injector. if its oil can I just drain the crank and away i go or do you have to put oil back into it ???

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are still dumping fuel with the shut off turned off then something is wrong. Eventually it will clean itself out. No harming the crank really, the bearings get their oil from the injector at the back side of the carb, the internal water pump and injector pump drive has an oil bath beneath the crank that gets continuous oil from the bottom of the oil tank.

If there is extra gas in the case it will eventually be pulled up and burnt along with the new stuff once you get it revved up. If you are worried about it, pull the carbs and rotate the motor so the rotary valve is open on each side and then use a plastic hose or something small to suck out the crankcase on each side.

If your sled is flooding when you stop downhill your floats are set too high, they need to be pushed down a little (go 0.5 mm at a time).

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I wasn't sure if it would burn off or if there was grease on the crank bearings that the fuel could damage. Man what a pain to get restarted. I still haven't got it going yet but I will try a little later this morning. I sure would hate to do that in the middle of nowhere. I spent 30-45 minutes trying to get it going last night. I was a good thing we were messing around jumping banks in the parking lot.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman is right about the carbs, but I do not think that is something you want to do by yourself just yet. That would be another think you take to someone with a case of beer like your clutches. You should have no problems with the case being loaded up. Do you have a fuel shut off? If not, that should be your first thing to put on.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
modman is right about the carbs, but i do not think that is something you want to do by yourself just yet. That would be another think you take to someone with a case of beer like your clutches. You should have no problems with the case being loaded up. Do you have a fuel shut off? If not, that should be your first thing to put on.

if you have done all the above and still no start, but kinda chuggles and kinda wants to start..... Doo a quick compression test.......

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured I would add a couple pics of the cause of my frustration. she went a little crooked on take off. to bad there wasn't one more shot in the middle I got a decent amount of air before landing on the side. (decent for a rookie like me):p

Attachments

• March_16,_2009_062.jpg
    March_16,_2009_062.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 39
  • March_16,_2009_064.jpg
    March_16,_2009_064.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 32

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I wasn't sure if it would burn off or if there was grease on the crank bearings that the fuel could damage. Man what a pain to get restarted. I still haven't got it going yet but I will try a little later this morning. I sure would hate to do that in the middle of nowhere. I spent 30-45 minutes trying to get it going last night. I was a good thing we were messing around jumping banks in the parking lot.

do you have spark? 35-40 mins seems like a long time.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup got Spark. Just got the Ski doo running again and everything seems ok.
It only took 3 plug changes a bit coughing and sputering, and 20-30 more pulls and it is finally running. ran it with the fuel off till it dyed then switched the fuel on. Sounds good. I did a cold compression test and I got 150 a side.
Thanks for all the Help guys
Now I am going to go ice my shoulder.
cheers :beer:

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup got Spark. Just got the Ski doo running again and everything seems ok.
It only took 3 plug changes a bit coughing and sputering, and 20-30 more pulls and it is finally running. ran it with the fuel off till it dyed then switched the fuel on. Sounds good. I did a cold compression test and I got 150 a side.
Thanks for all the Help guys
Now I am going to go ice my shoulder.
cheers :beer:

This is common for your sled. Next time when you burn the cylinders, do it a few times each hole as you are pulling it over. You need to get all the extra fuel out of the case as well as burn the fuel in the cylinders.
150 a side is good for that sled.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is common for your sled. Next time when you burn the cylinders, do it a few times each hole as you are pulling it over. You need to get all the extra fuel out of the case as well as burn the fuel in the cylinders.
150 a side is good for that sled.

We tried burning the cylinders for almost 10 minutes included in the 30-45min.
I didn't want to leave them burning for to long. I was worried about the heat on the cylinder head. Now that it is running good I am going to try the flame test again with the fuel off maybe I was already getting fuel leaking into the crank before the tip.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what they were doing for the 30-45 minutes.
I had the same sled and depending on how loaded the case was I could spend almost that much time ( between beers)

Nope no beers just taking a minute break in between pulling the cord and changing from plug to plug. I had 2 extra sets in the back. It just seemed like a lot of fuel in the sled with the fuel off. even after changeing to brand new plugs last night and cranking over with the fuel off the plugs would still get coated with fuel. and I checked that there was spark as well?

Doo799

Reaction score
When you flipped it on it's side it might have filled the DPM with fuel since it is connected to the carbs. Since you had everything closed off it was probably coming down through the dpm.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick replys. It sounds like that is probably the problem. Will the crank be ok is there anything i need to do to the bottom end. is the crank lubricated with grease or does it get oil from the injector. if its oil can I just drain the crank and away i go or do you have to put oil back into it ???

It should be fine but I also worried once when I badly flood my 583. All the gas in the crank washes the oil out of the crank bearings and cylinder walls. I get nervous about too little lubrication for the first minute or so until the injection pump dumps some in.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what they were doing for the 30-45 minutes.
I had the same sled and depending on how loaded the case was I could spend almost that much time ( between beers)

Bahaahaaahaaa!

*Pick up wrench and unopened beer, put down wrench and open beer, drink that beer and then look for wrench, find wrench and open another beer, look for screwdriver, find screwdriver and drink screwdriver, go look for more vodka, find vodka and look for wrench, drop socket into bellypan, fish for socket for 20 mins ......*

Top Bottom